Dermatology Expert Forum
Sebaceous cyst on penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Sebaceous cyst on penis

I recently went to a Urologist after having an annoying lump on the understide of my penis for three weeks.  It was underneath the skin, not above it.  The doctor diagnosed it as a sebaceous cyst and told me there was no need to have it taken out unless it really bothered me.  About a week later, a little pimple-like bump appeared on top of the cyst and then broke open and pus began to drain out.  A good deal of pus drained out before the small opening closed up.  This decreased the size of the cyst a good deal, but slowly it seemed to get bigger and fill up with pus again.  Now, if I squeeze it, I can squeeze out some pus but it seems that it will simply fill up again.  My question is should I have this removed?  It is quite annoying and I dont exactly like the idea of a pus filled cyst on my penis.  What kind of operation would it take to get it removed for good?  Are there any risks? Also, will it require stitches or anything like that?  Second, I am not positive, but I think I might have pulled a small hair out of it at one point, could that indicate that the whole thing is simple an ingrown or inflamed hair follicle, or is that the same thing as a sebaceous cyst?  Thanks for your help, it is difficult to get in touch with my urologist.
Cysts contain a whitish material that looks like pus but is really only dead skin cells.  Most people leave penile cysts alone, but they are easy enough to remove under local anesthesia (no stitches).  If this one bothers you, I suggest you ask your urologist or dermatologist about having it done.  But if you can leave it alone and it doesn't bother you to do that, that's OK too.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff