Seborrheic Dermatitis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Seborrheic Dermatitis

Hi, I am male 36yrs old. I have had Seborrheic Dermatitis for 15yrs. I have it on my face, head, back, ears and chest. The worse area affected is my face, around my nose. I have used Steroid cream, herbal medicine, aloe vera plant and antibiotics. At present I am using Aveeno Cream and Steroid Cream 0.05%. My skin has not been clear for the last 6mths. I am also on anti-depressants as I suffer from depression due to my skin condition. Is there any advice that you can give me. Thanks        
Some in my family have seborrheic dermatitis.  It cleared up on a gluten free diet (no wheat, barley, rye and possibly oats).  I'm not saying it will definitely work for you, but it's something for you to try - if it works - no more medicine!   If you try the diet, follow it 100% for several months to see if you get improvement.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply. I follow a wheat free, yeast free and dairy free diet at present but I have not excluded Gluten as such. I know that I am definatley intolerant to dairy and shell fish.   What do your family eat on a daily basis as I have been eating rye and oats instead of wheat.

thanks    
The gluten free diet is easier nowadays.  Our family eats Udi's brand bread - it tastes somewhat like italian bread.  We buy gluten free granola  to eat as cereal - we top it with almond milk or coconut milk sometimes.  Hot rice cereal, eggs, bacon, sausage, brown rice wraps with chicken and veggies and salad dressing or mayonnaise, lunchmeat wrapped in romaine lettuce leaves with tomato and onions, etc., homemade vegetable soups.  If you need more ideas, just leave me a message.

Do you live in the U.S.? I shop at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and regular supermarkets.  We use a blender to mix fresh or frozen fruit with ice and a little water.  I use plain rice or gluten free pasta in soups.

Hope this helps.  And avoid the rye and oats for now.

Any questions
Treatment of seborrheic dermatitis usually involves use of antifungal, anti inflammatory and sebo suppressive or Keratolytic ingredients. Dermatologist also recommends the use of photodynamic therapy which involves the usage of UV- A, UV- B laser and red or blue LED light to inhibit the growth of the yeast and reduces the inflammation.

Adjuvant therapy includes use of dandruff shampoo, an antifungal agent or both are essential during the pulse therapy and should be continued here after as maintenance therapy after each pulse. Anti fungal diet includes the elimination of sugar should reduce seborrhoeic dermatitis. Application of milk of magnesia is also found to be useful in the treatment of seborrhea.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you for your comments. I live in Scotland,UK and the only treatment that I have been given by the consultant Dermatologist is Steroid cream.

I have asked my GP for UV-A/B treatment, but they advised that this would not work as it is a yeast problem that I have!. I will go back to my GP based on what you have said and ask to be referred back to the consultant dermatologist to discuss UV- A/B.

I wasn't aware of eliminating sugar from my diet and will now cut this out. I have lost a lot of weight already due to cutting out yeast, wheat, dairy etc from my diet.

Thanks again for your comments, I will keep you posted.            
i use following 2 , it control but infection keep coming, Hope it will go away one day

triamcinolone acetonide cream

or

Ketoconazole  cream
Hi.
Thanks for your comments. I have started an antifungal diet as you advised. I have  been on the diet for 1 week and I have had a few bad out breaks in that time, but I believe that is to be expected.

I have purchased a red/blue LED light, but have not used this yet. I have a couple of questions for you, the Milk of Magnesia is this to be put on my skin or am I to drink this?

The skin on my nose is very red and inflamed, it has been damaged from years of steroid cream, the top layer of skin is no longer there. Any moisture cream that I use on my nose just seems to stick to it. I am using Aveeno cream at the moment, is there any cream that you could recommend?

I've just bought an LED light therapy unit to treat my SD and rosacea.  I'm starting at 3 minutes daily and going to build up to 9 minutes daily.  Anybody had any luck with light therapy?