Seborrhoeic dermatitis / Psoriasis
I've had this skin disorder for a very long time. I have white spots under my arms, stomach and back. My skin also gets a little flaky, but comes and goes. I've tried everything. All the shampoos, ketoconazole, tanning (to try to even the discoloration) It's pretty embarassing. All the dermotologist have told me it will eventually go away. It hasn't. It's been years. Is there a cure? Light treatment, ect?? Please help.

Thanks..

This could be seborrhoeic dermatitis. It is a skin disorder affecting the scalp, face, and trunk causing scaly, flaky, itchy, red skin. It particularly affects the sebum-gland rich areas of skin.

Side effects to inflammation may include temporary hair loss. If severe outbreaks are untreated for extended intervals, permanent hair loss may result, because of damage to hair follicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seborrhoeic_dermatitis

Soaps and detergents such as sodium laureate sulfate may precipitate a flare-up, as they strip moisture from the top layers of the skin, and the drying property of these can cause flare-ups and may worsen the condition. Accordingly a suitable alternative should be used instead.

Among dermatologist recommended treatments are shampoos containing coal tar, ciclopiroxolamine, ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, or zinc pyrithione. For severe disease, keratolytics such as salicylic acid or coal tar preparations may be used to remove dense scale. Topical terbinafine solution (1%) has also been shown to be effective in the treatment of scalp seborrhoea,as may lotions containing alpha hydroxy acids or corticosteroids (such as fluocinolone acetonide). Pimecrolimus topical lotion is also sometimes prescribed.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for the symptoms and a proper clinical examination if the symptoms persist.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.