Sensitive Hair and Scalp upon touch

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Sensitive Hair and Scalp upon touch

When I brush though my hair on the left side of my head it is very sensitive and even hurts a little. When I press down on my head or scalp and hold it, then the pain goes away.  Its mostly when I just gently touch my hair that it hurts my scalp.  I have never had a sensitive scalp and its only on the very top and left side.  It also hurts if I move my head back and forth really fast.  It is not red and there are no visible signs of anything different on the left side or the right side, its just very sensitive and slighty painful.  Can you help me with this problem as to what it might be?
Avatar dr f tn
Hi.

This may be nerve related. A differential will be a neuralgia  eg trigeminal neuralgia. The pain of trigeminal neuralgia may be elicited through light touch and by applying otherwise painless stimuli like brushing the teeth or combing the hair. However, trigeminal neuralgia may be sudden in onset and the pain quite severe or debilitating. In your case, the pain appears to be nerve related but not likely due to this condition.

You have also noted that you elicit pan when you move your head from side to side. This may help explain your condition. I suggest that you seek consult with a neurologist for a complete neurologic examination. You may need a scan of the cervical spine if the neck pain persists.