Dermatology Expert Forum
Sensitive scalp skin in one side of head

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Male 59 years old: Sensitive to touch scalp skin, top left side of head, very slight intermittent throbing left temple and very very slight discomfort left eye, no visible surface skin condition, been traveling by air for last 3 days, taking malerone tablets 1 daily for malaria prevention, take daily with meals 2 grms of vitamin C plus multivitamins and 400 iu of vitamin E, also take daily ginko biloba tablets (1 x 30mg) glucosamina chondroitin (3 x 500 mg) and human growth hormone (powder form 2 x 3200 mg L-Glutamine x 780 mg L-Glycine x proprietarty blend 20 mg of Niacin, Coleus Forkohlii Root).  In general area affected is top left side of my head more towards the front.  It is more of a discomfort than a serious affliction, but enough to feel its presence.  It is not growing but it is there for the last 3 days.  I am in good health and do not take any medicines other than malerone.  I am a coffee drinker (4-6 cups per day), careful with what I eat, drink sufficient amounts of water (6-8 cups daily), work in an office environment.  I took tylenol while traveling (2 tablets).
The only medical condition I can think of which would give these symptoms is zoster ("shingles.)  If that's what it is, blisters will appear in the affected area in 1-3 more days.  Should that happen, please see a doctor for antibiotic treatment.

More likely, however, this is just a transient sensitivity related to travel, stress, etc.  If no blisters appear, then it isn't zoster, and I would just treat the area gently and let it take care of itself, as I expect it will.

Of course, if the pain worsens, please see a doctor at once.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Hi I have a daughter that's 21 months old. Recently she has had a case of the "ichy scalp". It doesn't appear red or to have bumps on it, but it has been keeping her awake a night or even waking her up. She just keeps scratching away. I've tried lotion and once I tried head and shoulders with no success. Any suggestions or idea of what it could be?
Sounds like cradle cap.  Child needs to see physician for external med.  Very common.
A related discussion, Can Shingles form on the scalp? was started.
A related discussion, sensitve scalp was started.
I have head sensitivity in the top of my head. It is not bothersome unless I use my fingers and apply slight pressure. In that area I sometimes feel a temporary numbness but it is transient. I am a female, 36 yrs old and do not take any medications other than multi-vitamin, vit D, fish oil and calcium supplement. Just not sure what could cause this..I do wear ponytails periodically.
A related discussion, scalp soreness and tender was started.
A related discussion, hair loss was started.