Serious Dry Lower Lip Peeling

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Serious Dry Lower Lip Peeling

Im 22 and ive been having this lip peeling problem for about a year now, an the lip is dry and its peeling but it never bleeds...the thing thats worrying me, is that the skin under the peeling skin looks scally..an its straight dry, anything i put on it (vasiline, chap stick, water..a bunch of stuff from the doctor) it seems like it jus ***** it up...im believe its an "alergic (allergic) reaction" but im want to know if my original skin is gonna grow back?

Click the link below to see some pics on my lower lip

PICTURES: http://s415.p hotobucket.com/albums/pp232/svppromo/

Please if you can help, leave some comments!

It is very difficult to make a diagnosis without examination but there are several possibilities that are coming in my mind.

Firstly,It can be due to vit B deficiency.Take some vitamin B complex for some days and see if your symptoms improve.
Secondly,it can be due to atopic dermatitis or eczema("Atopic" refers to a group of diseases where there is often an inherited tendency to develop other allergic conditions, such as asthma and hay fever). Cheilitis(Inflammation of the skin on and around the lips)is often seen in atopic dermatitis.Diagnosed by bld test like RAST.Treatment is by topical steroids or oral therapy of corticosteroids in severe cases.Topical creams like tacrolimus ointment (Protopic) and pimecrolimus cream (Elidel) are also useful.

Other possibilities are Crohn’s disease(Granulomatous cheilitis, a lumpy swelling of the lips, can be a symptom) and sjogren’s syndrome(an autoimmune disorder in which immune cells attack and destroy the exocrine glands that produce tears and saliva).

Pls consult a dermatologist and discuss these possibilities.Till then keep your skin and lips moisturized and take adequate fluids throughout the day.

hello , i seem to had been experiencing the same problem , and i am now better , i think i may be able to help.

if i were you , keep off of cosmetic brands like chapstick and vaseline, do not keep trying to make them work, in this case you may need something more medicated.
(like me)

dont try mixing products (as in using vaseline on minuet and then putting e45 on straight after) as it would cause a build up and make a infection or a reaction.

now , i suggest you see a doctor , and they should give you a Medicaed lip cream and a antibiotic. theese should take about 10 days before it has cleared it up.

i hope i could help , best of luck!