Serious Lip Peeling Issue

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Serious Lip Peeling Issue

Ive been having this problem for a year now, my bottom lip has been peeling and it seems as if the main skin on the lip is peeling away because the skin after that is dry, scaly and white...when i try to wet it with water it seems as if nothing can make it wet....i believe that i have an allergic reaction to something but I just want to know if the skin on my lower lip will grow back or its gone?

I you've had this problem or know someone with it and can help me out, please comment and let me know what i can/should I do?

This has been going on for to long and has affected my life in a way...so please leave comments!

Thanks!

This could be due to eczema or cheilitis.

Try the following measures and see if it helps with your symptoms.
1. Drink plenty of water.
2. Use lip balm. Wax-based products like Chapstick provide a protective covering to the lips to prevent free radicals, the environment, and the weather from taking their toll on this sensitive area.
3. Apply sunscreen to your lip area, too. Wear makeup, including lipstick, with an SPF of 45 or higher.
4. Avoid hyperallergenic lipstick or lip liner.
5. Stay away from environmental factors that can damage your skin. Smoking cigarettes or chewing tobacco, drinking alcohol, working with heavy-duty chemicals or fumes, and other factors may irritate your lips and lead to peeling or cracking. Wear a face mask when you're around strong smells or emissions. Don't wash your face with strong or harsh soap. Treat your lips gently to help care for this delicate skin.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us about how you are doing.

Regards.
Hi.  I have had a similar problem.  My lips have been peeling for about 2 months now.  It started to peel off and then the peeling traveled to the inside of my nose.  It will not stop peeling and it burns.  I have tried using blistex and regular chap stick but nothing seems to help.  Someone please help!!

This could be a part of Cheilitis, which is a medical condition involving inflammation of the lip. Or a bad case of Chapped lips , a condition whereby the lips become dry and possibly cracked. It may be caused by the evaporation of moisture.

Lip balm can often provide temporary relief, though it should not be used extensively.  One should avoid licking their lips as saliva contains the enzyme amylase, which can damage the already compromised lip tissue.
Honey can be used on the lips as a natural remedy.

Cheilitis is associated with many conditions from Vitamin B12 deficiency, iron deficiency anemia, be a symptom of allergies.can also be caused by taking the (retinoid) drug Isotretinoin (brand name Roaccutane).

Applying protective paraffin-based ointment (such as Vaseline) or lip balms to the lips is normally very effective. Also take Vitamin B supplements.

If nothing works you can have a biopsy done to find out the cause.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapped_lips

Some causes of the symptoms you mention, could be lip biting, lip licking, Vit.B2 deficiency, smoking, overexposure to sun and ill fitting dentures. In extreme cases, this could be due to bacterial or fungal skin infection.

You need to drink plenty of water daily – around 1.5 – 3 litres per day and eat a balanced diet. Do not keep your lips dry; apply lip balm which contains sunscreen – preferably a medicated one.

If the symptoms still persist, consult your skin specialist or dermatologist.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.
I came on here hoping I would find "the" answer to my peeling lip problem.  I do have eczema on my face around my nose and have had it on my top lip, but the constant peeling on my bottom lip and the inside of my top lip several times a day is not eczema.  My lips dry out and peel off.  Like a lizard losing it's skin.  It doesn't always hurt, only if I help it along too much.  Long pieces of skin will just peel away and it has been going on for years.  I have used Aquaphor constantly forever.  Any thoughts?
I have been suffering from this condition myself for over 16 years.  It has caused severe depressed and anxiety.  I've become a shut in.  I hate to leave my house, can barely work, don't go out with friends, haven't had a girlfriend in years....I could go on but I think you understand.

Here is a picture of my condition in one of its worst stages:

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy9/lookingforacure/lips1.jpg

The piece of gum in my mouth is not cinnamon flavored.  I usually don't chew gum anyway, and this condition persists.

Basically, the skin on my lips will peel and just stay there.  No matter how long I leave it, it'll stay, so I'll end up rubbing it off so that it doesn't look too grotesque.  I work in retail.  Everyone notices, and some of the employees will hint at me, but no one has approached me about it, thankfully.

It has gone away only on two seperate occasions.  Both times was about three weeks after I had started taking Centrum multivitamins.  Thing is, it comes back that same day.

I found out a few years ago that I am allergic to certain metals.  I had gotten a pair of glasses that were either nickel or titanium(I honestly can't remember).  Could this be contact dermatitis?

I had dental fillings put in many years ago.  Is there any chance that I could be allergic to the fillings?

This condition has turned me into a person I'm starting to dislike.  I can't smile at people.  I'm highly uncomfortable in social situations.

Please help.

Hey whats up man, I saw the pic of you condition...I have the same problem maybe worst...mine problem started when I was 20 and im 24 now. I went to many doctors most of them put me on differents creams and lotion that did nothing. but there was one dermatologist that seem like he wanted to help but I never got a chance to go back to him he wanted me to have a biopsy done and said it may be an alergic (allergic) reaction because its not just my lip that gets dry, its my whole body...when coming out the shower I have to put lotion on about 3 times because it seems like my skin just eats it up. but the my lips something that everyone see and notice soon as they see me and I can definitly say that it has changed me. theres alot of places I dont go to because of it....I mainly go to work and come home. I go out when I really have to.

Doctors told me many things like: It could be from saliva but when I wake up from sleep it doesnt look as bad as it does when I go out and I do drool alot when I sleep.

and NEEDYRECLUSE I understand what you mean when you say its hard to smile because when you try to forget its there and smile with some people they stare and it makes you think, whats the next persons gonna do.

But if anything you or anyone can email me at: ***@****

I'd like to pictures of anyones problem thats similar to mine. thanks

Kenny

I do have the same problem as well. I had this problem over 10+ yrs or longer. I literally use nail clippers to clip off the excess skin (NO JOKE). Mine will start of slow and after using chap stick it does seem to accelerate the peeling more and that's when I will either use a nail clipper or when I take a shower it will come off easier. I wish there was something out there to alleviate this problem. It is practically a daily occurrence. I may get one day of relief at most. Then the cycle begins all over.
I should state that I do have all year round allergies and food allergies as well.  
i too have the same problem(peeling lips) since an year.initially it was in lower lips now its started in the upper also,it all started after a small infection,my lip got bulged heavily and got normal after some days. i went many doctors and used many lip balms but it remained same no cure was found. its getting worst after brushing and after shower
can any one help me out or sow me the way
i dunno if any of you have heard about glycerine.... jus put it on ur lips it will help alot... and before sleeping do put cream on your lips ... they make the lips softer
I have the same problem but I use chapstick all the time to keep them moisturized (this softens the excess skin on my lips) after that I brush my teeth and rub the excess skin off my lips with a towel or cloth. It works and I have to remind myself to stop licking/biting my lips. I also drink plenty of water (no sodas, juices, only water). After I rub the excess skin off it feels like such a relieve and I do not apply Chapstick afterwards I just leave my lips nude with nothing on them...it seems to work for me for a while, try it!
my 5 year old has the same problem. Thick chunks of skin peel off of his bottom lip constantly. Our Dr. recommended starting him on a pro biotic because the issue could be stomach related. It cleared his lips up pretty quickly.
Hey I'm 21 and i use to smoke 2 yrs ago my lips stay chapped and if i put on chapstick it seem like my lips get even dryer the chapstick does not stay on long and also it seems like my upper lip and bottom the top layer of my skin is gone should i go to a dermatologist about this? can some one please help!
I have the same problem.  How many people with this problem live in a manufactured home?  I believe the problem may be due to formaldehyde off-gassing from the home.
I was exposed to heavy metals 2 years ago (lead, cadmium, mercury, nickel, etc...), and my mouth cracked in the corners and along the natural fold lines at first.  I had a rash in what they call the neo-labial fold for over 1.5 years and finally I found a doctor who knew to chelate me instead of just running a blood test.  The 3rd chelating agent he injected me with is called EDTA, and its a food preservative used in most processed food (particularly on head lettuce to keep it from turning brown).  Its considered organic because its an amino acid based product, but Whole Foods for instance doesn't allow it on anything.  

Ever since he injected me with EDTA, I've had this peeling swollen, burning lip situation that all of you are describing.  I can't work hard or it gets worse...but who can't work??  So I have a disgusting mouth.  I'm worried.  My mouth is swollen and it keeps getting bigger (my lip outline is about .5 inches larger than it originally was all the way around my mouth).  There are dark purple areas in the middle of my lips and it just keeps cracking and peeling in the cyclical manner described here by others.

Most doctors seem like they know nothing, about metals or what causes cheilitis, contact dermatitis etc... I'm shocked to find out that I've learned more reading these sites in 5 minutes than I've been able to find out talking to and paying doctors thousands for about 2 years.

I'm p.o.'d actually.

Any advice is welcome.
I had chronic chapped and peeling lips non-stop for 2 years! Such a downer. My bottom lip would peel something fierce, and I tried everything from lip balms to steroid cremes and to no avail. Finally, I went to a doctor in Santa Monica (Vincent Medici). Turns out, the constant dry lips were syptomatic of overactive adrenals. I was only producing 20-30% of the amount of adrenaline I needed. Dr. Medici put me on a few supplements and a series of coffee enemas and two weeks into the protocol, my lips improved 80%! I couldn't believe it! I'm still on the protocol and my lips are getting better and better. (So is my sleep. Even though I could fall asleep easily, I had a hard time remaining asleep for 5 hours straight. Apparently, adrenals need 5 hours of straight sleep every night to produce the right amount of adrenaline for good health.) I hope this info helps. I would never have made the connection between adrenals and chronic chapped and peeling lips! (Also learned that adrenals are related to dry mouth problems. Amazing.) Good Luck everyone.
Thanks so much for the info.  What do you take or do to help your adrenals?  Why the coffee enemas?

Shar
I have the same problems as many people on this forum.

My problem with my lips began about 13 years ago when my lips began getting chapped and I would bite off the scab or lick my lips to keep them from drying. After a while I developed a rash around the bottom of my lip, so in my case I probably licked away the oil on my lips, and from licking them so much I always had sort of scabby lips.

I've tried putting lotion and vaseline on my lips as well as other ointments, but gradually my problems went from scabby lips and split lips to what NEEDYRECLUSE posted of his lips.

*One doctor prescribed me dental steroids, but that only made my lips even smaller. I definitely do not recomment anything makes your lips tighter and smaller.*

Observations I have made that work are:

Dont Work:
1. Using chapstick, it only dries the skin even more.
2. Sunscreen gives me a rash, but I might already have a rash on my lips or the skin is more sensative.
3. Vaseline, works but I still end up with lips where they seem to peel off in the shower.

Do Work:
1. Getting sunlight and exposing my skin to elements. When I am in the open my lips get dry but I use a lip balm with SPF 30.
2. Medicated lip balms are also good and I use this lip balm when I'm indoors.
3. Brush teeth 2x a day, at night I use Listerine, and I rub the skin on my lips with baking soda and let it sit for a minute, and rub it off and add the medicated lip balm afterwards.
4. In the morning when I brush my teeth I always add a bit of vaseline after brushing and I always brush before jumping in the shower.
Same issue here, for more years than I know. LAwoman2010's post is the first new info I've heard in years, will definitely look into that.

I've been to the doctor various time and was never given anything useful. Just stuff like water-based moisturisers.
I have a similar problem with my lips right after I was diagnosed with Lichen Planus.  Mine was diagnosed with a Biopsy.  My lips would split, heal some and split again.  There were like some long patches along the bottom of my lip.  Hard to pass some foods by to eat.  My inside mouth was also sore.  Also had rashes on my body.   I found vaseline helped alot but my dermatologist told me to use a little of my prescription Cobetasol.
i have chronic chapped peeling lips .please help
Thank you for sharing

may I know if you also heard that pro biotics available and useful for adults. i had same lip problem and chronic gastritis as well. so i thought may be mine is similar case
Are you still there? I noticed your post was from 2009. My lips have been peeling for 14 months. Please reply if you are still there. Hopefully your lips heeled and you don't visit this site anymore,
Did you get your issue fixed? I have the same kinda issue for about 2 months, it is making me very sad.  I have tried many different methods, the medicated blistex works to a degree but every day i have to ply loads on and my lips are just full of lines now, i can't wear any kind of lip balm as it doesn't blend in, it just looks like chalk on my lips, the same as when i brush my teeth.  Im now also noticing some small white bumps on my upper lip.  I have been to my doctor and to my dentist and my dentist said it's probably diet related, i am going to go back to my doctor to get a referral to a dermatologist. Let me know if you got fixed, i hope you did.  I gotta be honest this is taking over my life.
It is an allergic reaction to the metals in the foods you are eating! Trust me. My lips looked identical to yours until the dermatoligist found out I am allergic to nickel. When I eat too many foods high in nickel, (or put stupid paper clips in my mouth while busy at work!) my lips crack instantly again but they heal when I get back in control of my diet. Best of luck!
Now I know I'm not alone with this. When people look at my chapped lips, they'll advise me: drink more water girl. Too tired with their comment I'll say, it's allergy. In fact, I don't even know what I am allergy to or what vitamin minerals I didn't get enough of them.

Like you, my lips just peeled off in huge flakes, I use scissors to cut the flakes off. (Other girls put makeup and lipstick to dinner, I was there trimming my lips with scissors) however, the lips will get smooth maybe once in a week! It's like snake changing skin constantly.

Vaseline, lip balm, organic or natural, ointment, even the cream given by doctors, only cause the situation to go worse. Whenever I apply these cream, it goes perfect for the first & second day. Smooth and kissable. On 2nd or third day, starting to feel numb or somewhat painful. Smilling is difficult since i cant stretch the upper lips. Days later, it cracks, bleed, disgustingly, it swollen and have some weird discharge from the lips. This hold on for 7 days or more until it turn back to my usual non-painful flaky lips.

Doctors said I might be allergy to beeswax, some kind of glue, deficiency of vitamin B12, but I avoid and tried things, nothing helps. I'm living in malaysia, summer all year, no winter, none of a human being I know sharing a same problem.

Honestly, I can't even kiss my boyfriend. Lips go a little numb and painful later. Then start cracking. I'm 24 now, suffering from this problem since the age of.... Not sure... Elementary school? Other than lips, (but only after my 22), my skin starting to get allergy to glue, means I can not wear plaster, my genital area Get itchy and swollen everytime I'm having period. That's the time I deadly wish I'm a boy.

However, my mum had the same problem with me, nonetheless, nothing helps, she said, until the day she gave birth to me. Maybe some kind of hormone changed it cured itself with no medication needed. But I'm not going to get pregnant until I'm near 30 right, 6 more years to go and it's not guaranteed.

I know your post had been four years from now, is your lips getting any better?
My bottom lip has been peeling since May.  I too have tried every lip balm to no avail.  Two weeks ago I got a scaly patch on my top lip.  Then I was determined to find some help.  For the last five days I have been using two different lip balms that have cleared my lips up 90%!!!!!  I can't believe it...now I am even starting to go hours before I feel like I need to re apply them.  My lips aren't even dry anymore.  Try either one of these and see if they help.  Fix My Skin Healing Balm. Vanillla or
Dr. Dan's CortiBalm
They both have 1% Hydrocortisone in them.  I hope that this will help you.  I ordered both online.
I had same problem for past more then 10 years.

past three days I feel the I am able to save my lips from peeling.
With just small care that like thinking I am different from others and my lips want some extra care.

In Night if you put lip balm before going to bed and after waking up put lip balm before brusing and bath. after bath put lip balm. drink water normally.

While in day if you feel it is required put lip balm.
Take a thick balm which last for some time thats it.
I don't say that got fixed for ever but last three days I am in relief.

I'm so glad that there are people who understand the extent of this problem. I am 14 years old and have had dry, cracked, peeling lips that are raised in the corners and also split. I enter into a 3-4 day cycle of them being really sore and splitting and then peeling extensively and bleeding. This has been occuring for about a year now. I am sick of people offering me lip balm as I know it dosn't work. I have tried cortisone tablets, antibiotics, every lip balm and ointment, antihistamines and even an ear ointment that I put on my lips. NOTHING HAS WORKED! Reading everyone elses stories i can see a common factor. Most of us have allergies or imbalences and things to do with metals. This is me aswell. The past year for me has been hell in terms of my health. I was a national meadalist in swimming and started to overtrain. I got several infections in my mouth, throat, ears, eyes etc. and eventually got a blood test. The results showed that I have hypothyroidism and I am now on thyroxine to replace my hormone levels. Eventually all the infections went away but my lips were peeling at a rediculous rate. After a week of this process starting I developed an alergy (allergy) to chlorine ironically, and after 20 mins of swim training I would break out in a rash all over my body. My lips got worse and worse.The condition also first occured when I got braces and so we think it is maybe the metal that is having a reaction with the chlorine. This is getting really out of control. Being a teenager my self esteem isn't exactly glowing and this condition is making it worse.I constantly think people are looking at them and they are the first thing I see when i look in the mirror. My lips also look identical to the photo that someone else posted. I mean IDENTICAL. WHAT DO I DO? ARE THERE ANY DOCTORS OUT THERE WITH A SOLUTION? Thanks to everyone who has made me feel better already :)
I had peeling lips for many years. Everyone kept telling me I was dehydrated which I know I wasn't as I had been an athlete at the time and had been involved in studies for dehydration and it showed that I wasn't.

I put on PawPaw cream on my lips each night and sleep with it. I also put it on whilst I'm out exercising and both these tricks have stopped my cracked, peeling dry lips. I haven't had any problems now for over a year except when I get lazy and don't apply it.

Hope this helps.
Have had the same like everyone else, started at 13 years old i think and I'm now 19, It has been hell living with this because you have to live with it every day, you always have to have it in mind that before eating something or after eating something you should going into a toilet to look so your lips look normal.

You know you can't be outside drinking soda or any other drink that contains sugar because then the lips will dry and you can feel some loose skin is on it's way so you try to hide it and then you can't act normal the rest of the evening until you find a toilet. You can't smile and laugh, you get drawn back and trying to talk as little as possible and just want the evening to end.

I rather stay home many days and say no to my friends because it pushes you down to always have to think about it, it's not pretty to remove skin everytime, i think it's gross but there is no other way, so when you're home then you can at least just act normal and don't care about it for the moment.

Noone that i know of my relatives have this problem, and no friends either.

I will go to the doctor soon and see if they say something about it, will ask for them to take a blood test against something if it's possible, I really hope there is a way to cure this. Would be nice to be able to live a little bit normal.

If anyone with the same problem or if anyone know how to cure this, be free to send a message to me