Sever itching hands

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Viewing 201-227 comments:
Exact semptoms happens to me for years. I guess i find out when those semptoms occurs.Every time I'm worried about something, when i'm stress, or watching excited movie,or something randomly bothering me... after a short while i feel the burning feeling in my palms, starts with normal itching and little burning, then the more i scratch, burning and itching gets worst. I had to hold my hand under runing cold water or hold a ice pack in my hands to stop it. You watch it from now on too. If you worry, or bother with something deep down, see if your itching will start?
thank you it was helpful.Ill ask my doctor. i printed your post:)
I FOUND THE DISEASE!!! HERE IS THE LINK BELOW!!

http://www.erythromelalgia.org/WhatisEM.aspx

THIS DISEASE CALLED   SHORTLY EM..
READ IT BELOW!! IF YOU GO TO OFFICIAL SIDE THEY HAVE EVEN PICTURES SHOWING THE HANDS AND FEET. SCROLL DOWN AND READ BELOW!!

Erythromelalgia is a rare and frequently devastating disorder that typically affects the skin of the feet or hands, or both, and causes visible redness, intense heat and burning pain.

The term erythromelalgia describes the syndrome: erythros (redness), melos (extremity) and algia (pain). An alternate name is “erythermalgia” that emphasizes the thermos (heat) – an essential part of the syndrome.

While usually affecting the lower extremities (legs and feet) and upper extremities (arms and hands) other body parts like faces or just ears or the nose may be involved. It usually affects both sides of the body, but can affect just one.

The associated pain and burning sensations can be extremely severe. People with EM often make major adjustments to their lifestyles to avoid flare-ups. Even in mild-to-moderate cases, normal functioning such as walking, standing, working, socializing, exercising, and sleeping may be impaired.

Precipitating factors include warm temperatures and even mild exercise. Cooling the hot body parts relieves the pain, as does elevating the affected areas. [The use of icy water is strongly discouraged as ice can damage the skin. Using a fan or cool water is suggested instead.]

Approximately five percent of those with EM have an inherited condition that research has shown to be caused by genetic mutations. These people usually have other members of their families with the syndrome.

The cause of EM is unknown in the vast majority of cases. Peripheral neuropathies underlie many, and in some cases EM may be secondary to other disorders like the blood disease polycythemia.
HERE IS THE NAME OF THE DISEASE: SCROLL BELOW AND READ THE ARTICLE. HOPE IT HELPS;)
Mine starts  and last for a day or 2 it happens once a month and it so bad that I can't hold anything or drive is there any solution
for those who have itching at night and no rash or dry skin could possably have atype of restless leg symptom,it effects the nerves in your hands and makes it feel like itching
I have the same problem.  Try soak your hands with HOT EPSOM SALT water for about 5 minutes.

I used about 5 good teaspoons of the EPSOM SALT.
Thank you for this very, hopefully, helpful information, and here's wishing you well.
I started having the same itchy burning hands about a month ago and it does drive me nuts like everyone else.
I will tell my dermatologist 23rd oct abt your experience and information. I have pemphigoid skin disease and maybe this could be the cause of my Erythmelagia. Pemphigoid is an auto-immune disease and the effect this has on the cells causes irruption on the skin, legs, chest and back in the form of what I call bubbles which are ulcers - and cause itching which I thought was bad enough until I got this itchiness on my hands which is much much worse and seemingly resistent to everything. Thankfully your post causes me some hope!
I have suffered from all of the above itch problems for over 30 years and it comes and goes. The only medication that stops it is mycalog and canalog. You need both because your body becomes immune to one after a while and you need to shift medication. It usually takes only one or two applications and is good for several months. Without the medication the itching never goes away.
Thank you! You are the first one that answered my question. I will check the web site. -Yvette B.
in 2008 doctor gave to me wrong cream to use on my penis
after i use all my penis skin changed like how snake changing his skin!!
i was its normal but at 2011 my penis skin become not to hold anything even i cant do sex because it hurts me after start eaching!
again other doctor gave to me cream Hydrocortisone really it help me about eaching but my penis skin still thin and hurts me and im really dont know what to do is there any one can give me advice because i want something can recover my penis skin
i want to know to make my penis skin thicker
also i want to know is Hydrocortisone helps the skin to make thicker or not?
thank u i wish i will get good answer from u
My hands are EXTREMELY itchy,,,when i scratch it makes it worst. No medecine i ever try from prescription EVER works. My best logical guess it's that the source of this matter comes from within, maybe something wrong in the blood?!!
Maybe blood vessels are having problem pumping blood into hands?!!, or maybe a problem with the nervous system?!!,,,this are the real questions you people should worry about.....!!!!!
i read that it might be a copper deficiantcy, i started taking a multi vitamin and almost imediatly the itching went away. it's only been 1 day but the results are for sure. i just hope the vitamins continues to work.
I had this start with me a couple weeks ago and was about to make appt. with my dr and my wife asked me if I might try an allergy pill, well i tried it and have been itch free for about 2 weeks now, I am taking the generic for zyrtec from walmart, it called wal-zyr, might try it, it worked for me so far. hope this helps
it's been a while for you.  i am in the same situation now.  did you find the problem or cure
Hello, I've had the exact problem for the past month...can't figure it out...thought it was the detergent I was using. Cut back on that...but every morning ...same thing...then heat. Did you ever find out what is causing your symptoms?
Hello. I also suffer from itchy hands.
At 53-years-of-age, there have been many attempts over the years to solve this issue with numerous remedies, to no avail.
Steroids may be a source of temporary relief, but not without side effects.
Unfortunately, steroids--and that includes over-the-counter- cortisone creams--can thin a person's bones.  
Here is a remedy which really helps: Rub the inside of a banana peel onto fingers, and all itchy parts. This really works well with elbow/knee excema as well. It is best to apply this twice a day, but mainly make sure this is done before retiring for the night. Occlusion of affected part is preferred.
If possible, tape thin strips of banana peel onto the skin overnight, covered with gloves. There are good waterproof band-aids on the market which work well with this.
In the morning, remove and wash with tepid water.
Another tip: Do not allow your hands to come into contact with any type of salt. This will set off a very bad reaction in most people.
For example, after brining (salting) a turkey for Thanksgiving 2012, I am still paying the price with very sore, itchy hands.
Last tip: Find good thick plastic, flexible gloves. Most gloves on the market are too tight, and have a talc inside which can irritate.
Find some industrial type gloves. These plastic gloves are large enough to not cramp the fingers.
Hello. I also suffer from itchy hands.
i have a condition called dishydrotic eczema, which causes itching and little water-filled blisters in between finger, on palms of hands, and soles of feet. This could be what u are all suffering from. There is no cure, and the only relief Ihave found was from a lotion called aveeno skin relief. Has menthol in it, which soothes the itch. Also, avoid any soaps that aren't hypoallergenic. Rubbing alcohol helps to dry out the water filled bumps, which are what causes the itching. But it stings like hell. The only other condition that causes this that I know of is scabies. So let's hope u all just have dishydrotic eczema....lol.
Topical ointments do not usually work on this type of itching.  Most of this is caused by the sulfates in our soap, shampoo etc.  Sulfates are the foaming agents.  Auto mechanics hose down their floors with sulfates.  Switching to sulfate free products helps.  Sulfates build up in your system, therefore it takes a while for them to leave the system.   BurtsBees products and Loreal shampoos are sulfate free.  It helped me.  I also take a Zyrtec every day.
I thought I was the only person who suffered as nobody else seemed to know what I was talking about - not even my GP who said he'd never heard of just itchy hands. I tried all the antihistamines going and eventually found that Benadryl Allergy Relief  (the one with acravistine) worked. However, 5 years down the line I now find I'm having to take up to 3 over an hour to get the relief that one used to give. Now I know that other people also suffer I'll go back to my GP. As I changed my surgery last year, I might have a more "with it" doctor this time.
I am also having the same problem surfing the net trying to find an answer and came across so many more with the same problem hope we all find an answer soon.
Hello all! I just started having these symptoms a couple days ago and now figured out what is wrong. I was on Cetirizine (generic brand of Zyrtec) for some time. Since I ran out of the allergy medicine for about two days in, my lower back (where I had a patch of eczema), my right thigh, my upper arm and especially the palm of my hands (left more so) has been itching like crazy. I read up on side effects for this medicine and it plainly states: "Many people experience intolerable itching for several weeks if they stop the drug abruptly." Something within told me that the itching was due to the fact that I stopped taking the allergy medicine. Would only make sense! This truly *****! :(
I too am experiencing this itchy hand symptoms. I initially  contributed it to the alcohol sanitary solution I use in between patients at the hospital, but I've discontinued the use of it weeks ago and I still suffer. Has anyone received an accurate  diagnosis and treatment?  Please advise. Thank you in advance.
Everything you described about your hands is exactly what I am going through. I am sooo glad I am not the only one going through this. I hope one day we will both find a cure!
I have the same problems.  V itchy.  Can someone help.  Pray for me.
I have had this for several years. dr. said contact dermatitis and prescribed a cream.  However, I have found it only happens when i wash dishes or come in contact with laundry detergent. So, i wash my hands and dry them if I come in contact with laundry detergent. I have to wear gloves when i do dishes, even if its only 1 dish!  I use benadryl ointment, and Gold Bond lotion is also soothing. The itching is accompanied with rash that dries and flakes.  It only happens when I come into contact with dish liquid and laundry detergent.  
It sounds to me like you have contact dermatitis.  Was your hands in aqueous cream should help also wear gloves when washing up and if its still bad you may need to get a md steroid cream from the doc.  I used to have this and i found out was i was sensitive to and stoped using it.  But yes itching will drive you insane.  Hope you feel better soo x
I just started having this itchy hand problem just recently...drove me crazy each time it appeared.  Woke up in the middle of the nite and right hand was absolutely burning between fingers and palm.....I quickly grabbed a large bottle of SKIN THERAPY by SUAVE...poured lots on in between fingers and palm...i did several thick coats.    It worked great.  2 days later I had the problem on my left hand..repeated my treatment..it worked great again...keep putting it on if itching if it is not completely gone.  

I believe I got this large container from DOLLAR STORE...give it a try..you have nothing to lose
IMPORTANT INFORMATION -- I had the same problems with my hands --nothing brought relief; my hands looked like they were rotting off.

Thousands of dollars' worth of allergy testing didn't point to a cause,  BUT a test for ARTIFICIAL COLORS wasn't included in the regimen, and that turned out to be the cause of the itching.

Try avoiding ARTIFICIAL COLORS in every aspect of your life - food, hygiene products, cosmetics, medication.  If that is what is causing your symptoms, you will know in less than a week.

GOOD LUCK!
I've skimmed many comments. I just began having these problems a few months ago. My itching and swelling differs. Sometimes, it's isolated to my wrist or just a few fingers. There is no visible rash..just extreme itch and swelling. It comes in waves. Sometimes i'll have it a few times a month, sometimes less frequently. Sometimes the same areas, sometimes completely different. The same effect seems to happen to my feet. The itch is so severe I can't concentrate or sleep. And when I itch it, it's very sore and painful. Completely frustrating. Antihistamines don't seem to help at all.
your story of itch and rubbing is what I have been going through, for 9 weeks now the itch is so bad I took a brand new pedicure scraper to my fingers and hands and ripped the skin off . I have tried every cream and drug know to man and nothing ???? I to don't like to show my hands and I can not wear my wedding rings cause my fingers look like sausages. I sure hope there is a cure for this. When you talked about the towel , OMG that is what I do everyday!!
My 7 year old has the same as you all and is in extreme distress, has anyone had any answers yet?  I've even tried cortisone arghhh - any help as to what this is please.
yall are talking about a vast array of conditions.
there  is one thread in here about itchy palm and fingers white spots or dots not bumps or blisters they itch like heck and then in minutes inflame and multiply and become tiny irritated bumps not puss filled not blisters. but beneath the skin white dots.
i read somewhere a description of irritated nerve endings inflaming after too much caffine .. or stress caused. this sounds right. I can stop itch and they'll disappear in minutes if I soak in applecider vingar.
it could be fungal and the crazy amount of sugar in the tea or coffee i drink feeding it. so if i had any self restrint i should cut back on the caffine and sugar. soak hands in apple cider vingar.
I prayed for your, dear.  Kat
That sounds exactly like what I have recently gotten.  How can you live 61 years without it than all of a sudden get it?  What did you do about it?
have you found anything? your spot on with me!
Thanks to Allah i found cream which help me already about itching and now i dont have any itching any more accept tin skin!
the skin is tin and soft and it scratch me everything even if do sex! i need help for that if any one have idea.

the cream which help me for itching is CALENDULAN CREME this is the name on the box i see im from nederlands so may be its dutch word but u can google it.

i hope it will help u too
thanks
Hi! Did you ever get a diagnosis? I am having some serious problems...my 5 year old too..keep getting misdiagnosed .... my symptoms are pretty much the same except mine have been accompanied by swollen lymphnodes...anyone having same problems..HELP!
Hand dermatitis (also known as hand eczema) often results from a combination of causes, including genetic makeup (constitutional factors), injury (contact with irritants) and allergy. It is frequently caused or aggravated by work, when it is known as occupational dermatitis. Hand dermatitis is particularly common in industries involving cleaning, catering, metalwork, hairdressing, healthcare and mechanical work.

Hand dermatitis varies in severity. It may affect the backs of the hands, the palms or both sites. Often it starts as a mild intermittent complaint, but it can become increasingly severe and persistent. The affected skin initially becomes red and dry, then progresses to itchy papules (bumps) and fluid-filled blisters (vesicles), scaling, cracking (fissures), weeping (exudation) and swelling (oedema). Bacterial infection can result in pustules, crusting and pain. Longstanding dermatitis at the ends of the fingers may result in deformed nails. Hand dermatitis can spread to affect other sites, particularly the forearms and feet.

read more about it here. I have had this for years, down to the blisters on the back of my hands.

(http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/hand-dermatitis.html)
Seriously cut out too much sugars and any Yeast as that was my problem, also cut way back on any glutens... That will help as it did with me, I currently take YeastClear as I had an over abundance of Yeast. This morning I awoke with welted hands and now after one hr its subsiding, and yes they itched madly. Too much coffee also the yeasts are in it!!! chocolates nuts watch how much if ANY You consume also. Dairy's watch IT THERE Too...
Could you have a latex allergy?
I too suffer with periodic itching hands and less frequently itchy feet. Drives me crazy! I have figured out I cannot eat anything with lots of preservatives and when I touch outdoor plants or do anything that irritates the skin it can happen. But it also happens when I haven't eaten anything unusual or touched anything. I know this sounds weird, but I have found something that offers relief. Toothpaste! I think Colgate is the best one but most offer some relief. I don't know if it's the drying agent that pulls the itchiness from my skin or what, but it works! I've also soaked in ice water and it offers a little relief.
I don't know if you are still suffering from this condition, but if you are, I think what might help is a product called Prevex.  It is highly dense form of petroleum jelly, you just rub a small amount into your skin and it forms a barrier.  I used to get spontaneous lesions on my fingers, just picking up a wet dish rag.  After a couple of months of using Prevex daily, applying it after every time I washed my hands, my hands were totally better.  I was even able to stop using the product and for the last 20 years, I've never had the problem recur. I recommended the product to my niece who has severe contact dermatitis on various parts of her body, and she said it helped enormously.
I have suffered from itchy hands and fingers for years. There is no rash. Usually there is only one spot that will itch and the only way to get relief is to scratch until a blister forms and the skin peels off. Once the skin is off the itching begins to subside, but then I'm left with a big sore that takes weeks to heal. At this time, I have 3 of these such sores and, of course, they are painful. After all I did use a sharp object to remove my flesh!! This doesn't happen every day. It may happen once a month or as many as 4 times per month. I can't seem to find a reason for it and wonder if anyone else has the same problem. If so, have you found a reason for it and/or a cure?  
Viewing 201-227 comments: