Dermatology Expert Forum
Several spots on penis, recurring issue, please help!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

I am hoping that I can get some kind of help here.  I recently have developed two separate areas of spots, which are seemingly different, on my penis.  There is one, that is red, that appears near the head of the penis on the top side.  It is a little sore.  I first noticed it about four days ago after masturbating and today I noticed that there is a clear fluid secreting from it.  The other area is along the penile shaft, top side, and consists of about 7 - 8 raised bumps, that are white with brown specks in the center of them. I first noticed these yesterday.  This area is a little sensitive to the touch but overall not very sore.

I have had similar instances of red bumps on my penis, several times in the past, and have seen both my medical doctor and a urologist about it.  I have been tested for herpes twice (the first time was a swab and the second time was a blood test) and both times it came back negative.  I have also been tested for all of the other common STD's, including HIV, and all of those tests were negative as well.

Since my last round of STD checks, I have been monogamous with my fiancee, who has also been monogamous with me.  My fiancee does have High-risk HPV, and she may have received it from me as she tested positive for it shortly after we first started dating.  To my knowledge, there is no HPV check for men, so I do not know for certain if I have it or not (although I would venture to guess that I do).  She was diagnosed with HPV around a year ago.  

It is also important to note that I was diagnosed around two months ago by my Dermatologist with Erythema Annulare Centrifugum after a breakout on my arm (it has since cleared up).

I am getting married in two weeks and REALLY need this to be gone by then!  I will go to the doctor if it stays around longer, but I am really getting tired of going in and getting tested for STD's, which tests keep showing that I don't have, and receiving no other further explanation from my doctors.

Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern but if you are having a monogamous relation with your fiancée and STD panel and herpes tests have come out negative, then there is little to worry.

The rash that has appeared on penis after masturbating can be due to friction rub or chafing. There is a possibility that the small bumps with brown specs in centre are due to folliculitis after irritation of the hair follicles during masturbation. The other causes would be HPV warts. If herpes had come out clear on blood tests there are little chances of these being to herpes. Genital herpes presents as painful blisters preceded by tingling sensation in the area.

First of all do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. Also use mild soaps and wear cotton clothes. Application of warm compresses and topical antibiotics like Neosporin or Bactroban on the bumps is helpful.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.

Dr. Kaur, thank you for your detailed response!  This is good information and gives me some peace of mind!
How Long Do It Last ?
How Long Do It Last ?
Still lingering around over a week later.  Is this normal?