Severe, Random Itchiness and Welts

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Severe, Random Itchiness and Welts

I started experiencing severe, random, localized itching 3 days ago, Friday. It started on my right hand and spread to my forearm, then later that day occurred on my left hand and wrist. It was rather sudden with no obvious cause. Later that night, it occurred on my chest and stomach. The next day, Saturday, it happened across my entire back and shoulders. At this point I bought some Calamine lotion and Benadryl. The lotion didn't help much but the Benadryl really did, except that it made me very drowsy and so I cannot take it during the day. My symptoms alleviated for the rest of the day and into Sunday, but the symptoms started back up again towards the end of Sunday. I was up all night Sunday night with severe itchiness all over my body, no longer localized, and this morning it had not stopped. I covered myself in an anti-itch lotion and headed off to work, where I sit now and am still extremely itchy.

My symptoms are: Constant, severe, random itchiness and welts that occur by themselves as well as after I scratch. The welts that appear by themselves look either like tiny bug bites or oddly shaped welts that look like colorless splotches. The welts that appear after I scratch look like scratch marks, only slightly swollen. I only experience redness if I scratch.

Some general answers to questions that may be asked: I have not changed soaps or lotions. I have not changed detergents. I have not changed my diet. The only allergies I have that I know of are reactions to bug bites and vitamin B-12, which I do not take. So far, I have experienced these symptoms on my scalp, under my chin, my neck, shoulders, arms, hands, chest, stomach, upper/middle/lower back, pelvic region, and legs.

I have no health insurance and cannot afford to see a doctor, so I'm desperate. I need this itching to stop as it is badly affecting my ability to concentrate at work and I am extremely uncomfortable all of the time! Can someone please help me?
It can be due to hives. Hives (medically known as urticaria) are red, itchy, raised areas of skin that appear in varying shapes and sizes. They have a tendency to change size rapidly and to move around, disappearing in one place and reappearing in other places, often in a matter of hours.

Take some antihistaminic like Benadryl or Claritin and apply some calamine lotion on the rash. Also wear cotton clothes and apply good quality moisturizers. If the symptoms persist then please get it examined from a dermatologist.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you for your response. I seem to have it under control for the most part with antihistamines and Calamine lotion. (I've actually combined the Calamine lotion with Curel's Itch-Defense lotion and it works wonders!) It's been 12 days and the hives are still appearing, but at least now they're manageable.

I was wondering... Would a change in hormones cause a reaction like this? The reason I ask is that there's a possibility I could be pregnant and, if so, the hives started around 6 days after conception. I did some research and most of what I found stated that pregnancy does not cause hives initially, but may in the third trimester due to skin stretching. I'm not sure and would love a knowledgeable opinion.

(I'm also aware that your answers are based upon the information I am providing. If I feel that this has become a serious matter, then I guarantee I will seek local medical attention.)
Hives are idiopathic and can occur at any time. However if you are pregnant then it is advisable to take any medication after a dermatologist’s prescription.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.