Severe Eczema

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Severe Eczema

I have severe eczema. I recently broke out with a rash in between my fingers. The skin has become raw and bruised. In some areas cracked causing it to bleed. I have also noticed my right index finger is sore and it feels almost like the nail is detaching. I don't have insurance because I was recently laid off. Is there anything over the counter I could use?
For eczema skin, Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).But they are available under prescription and should be taken only after consulting a dermatologist. Symptoms  can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I am not sure about the advice to wash the skin 'several times' with fresh water!!!!. Repeated hand washing is bound to make eczema worse. Please don't do that!

The most important thing is to use a plain moisturizer like vaseline every 2-4 hours + every time you wash your hands. Use gloves at all times to avoid contact with any potential irritants to the hand. Avoid soaps and use a moisturising soap substitute like dove. If you have severe eczema you will need a very potent steroid like clobetasol propionate for a couple of weeks.

Regards

Dr.Sasi Attili