Severe Itching on Legs

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Severe Itching on Legs

Over the past few months I have had severe itching on my legs literally from top to bottom. I have tried Benadryl with no luck and I am constantly putting Calamine lotion on my legs. The Calamine lotion usually helps for about 15 minutes but then the itching returns. I am at my breaking point with this. The itching causes pain and it feels like needles on my legs. I scratch them so much that I have fingernail marks all over my legs and sometimes even brusies. This causes my legs to look horrible. I'm so ashamed that I won't wear dresses or shorts. I haven't been to the doctor yet just because everything I have read hasn't given me much hope on a clear diagnosis. This has been an ongoing problem usually I have the severe itching for a few months then it will go away and out of the blue will appear again. I haven't changed laundry detergant, soap, lotion, etc. Please any help or insight you could give would be greatly appreciated! I really don't know how much more of this scratching my legs or me can take!  Oh and I noticed on some of the other posts people who had the same symptoms as myself were telling where they live...I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not but if so I live in Alabama.
Hello Ferg2001..i just read your post and i'm just wondering....have you tried using a small amount of olive oil? And if i were you i would try to change your body soap to Carress. I've had the same problem but not as severe as yours. Do you notice it much worse after shaving?
Using olive oil and changing your soap may help. Although I m not a dr. any advice is worth it until you get a chance to make an appointment with a dr.
I also figure olive oil considering that is what they tell ppl to use on there dry scalp..

I hope this helps ya out!! Keep me posted.

sha:)
I haven't tried the olive oil but at this point I will try just about anything. Yes, the itching is always worse after shaving. Shaving has become a very painful thing for me it just seems to irritate my legs even more. I will let you know if the olive oil helps. Thank you!
hi ferg! i had the same problem as you a few months ago, i was told to take hayfever and allergi tablets and use talc powder, so i done that for about 2 weeks and it had stoped the itching.
I have the same exact thing. It started a couple years ago, happened for awhile on one leg and eventually went away. Since then I have it come suddenly out of nowhere, both legs- though usually starts on one first. It always starts low, around my ankles. I can scratch till my legs bleed and have trouble stopping because it feels good and relieve the horrible itching. eventually bumps appear under the surface like a rash, and even when I can see the bumps, I can feel them. The more I scratch the higher it seems to travel. The highest point is mid- calf area but usually stops there. It will go on for a couple months, maybe, and then as suddenly as it appeared, go away. I am not on any medication but take a Benadryl every night for nose stuffiness. (and have for quite a long time). My legs are actually hurting now from scratching so much. One time I found (I've tried them all) an anti-itch over the counter cream (generic) that helped a lot but haven't been able to find it since. The skin on my legs has started to feel leathery and "dead" all the time, thick, and even in between the outbreaks, doesn't return to normal, ever.

I am at my wits end. I did go to the doctor about it a couple years ago when it first started and he said "it's probably dermatitis" and gave me some cream, but - guess what- didn't work or prevent it from happening again. Any real help will be so appreciated!
Are you guys ready for this?!  I have figured it out!  Im just like everyone here I have been itching my legs for over three years now and hating every minute of it.  My girlfriend cant sleep good at night and I cant sleep at all.  All of you are right about how to treat it and im going to tell you why.  I just figured it out after I saw these posts and talked to a random person that i knew.  I did alot of research and if you dont believe me you can look it up as far and long as you want and it will all come back to one thing!  SULFATE!  We are all allergic to sulfate!  
Wo wo wo  I now your all screaming for more.. so ill feed you baby birds!

People who quit eating bread and felt better well guess what?  Bread has sulfate in it.  A lot of foods have sulfate it, and when i say a lot i mean A LOT!  But most of these foods have low dosage in them so they dont bother us unless you eat a crap load of sandwiches (like me, im a sucker when it comes to meat and cheese between to thick slices of....) sorry lost focus.  Where was i... O yeah.  So the foods that use this sulfate, use it to keep foods fresh longer by keep fruits from browning to quick and bacteria growing on them.

Ok, now for the people that have to use unscented products and all that air smelling like nothing stuff.  Yuck!  Well your right!  Most of the good stuff has sulfate in it.  This sux!  I dont know about you guys but i like to smell good, especially for the ladies!  No girl ever says "I like the way you smell like nothing, it reminds of a time of no where"!  And before it was worth it, smelling good all day for a sleepless night of hell.  Ehh now that im spoken for,  hell no!  Give me the unscented crap!  But dont give up! There are alot of companies that make NON-SULFATE shampoos/soaps etc.. So scrub away with that ocean breeze!

Next.....The stress/depression folks,  well hey let me make it easy for you.  Stress/depression = more food = more.... you guessed it..SULFATES!!!!  and to make it worse alot of the medications for those problems have some kind or other sulfate-ish ingredient in them.  Sorry guys cheer up everything will be ok.  Look at the bright side at least you will smell good!

Oh and this, what im about to tell you, i think is the worst part of being allergic to sulfate.  So, i live in a big city in Florida thats always cutting corners to save money, called Jacksonville.  I have only been here for a little over three years. Huh,  thats about how long Ive had the itchy leg itus.  What happens is that natural waters/springs contain a high level of sulfate and the cities with the crappy water purification habits tend not to filter all of it out,  So this why we all get those little red, five minute rashes when we get out of the shower along with the bloodshot or itchy eyes.  O that reminds me temperature does matter too, cause your body tries to secrete this when your allergic to it to get it out of your body so it tries to push it out of your pores. Thats why saunas are bad for us (if we r not watching what we eat/drink if so, then they rock!) cause we leak sulfate that irritates the skin.  Hot showers feel awesome until we get out into the steam filled room,

So yes everyone is right for dulling or suppressing the symptoms with their methods and most of you were right with the problem you just didnt know why.  So now we do know, and i dont know about you but im feeling better all ready!

So if you want to still eat/drink/use all of that stuff that contains sulfate go right ahead just limit your intake, or saltwater bath after, or lotion, or run with natural honey in your mouth into the ocean with fresh sunscreen and dont forget the unscented lotion afterward to keep all the salty moisture in.  Hey as long as it works keep doing it just keep in mind the real cause of all our agony.  SULFATE, F^*#ing SULFATE, i hate you, you ruined my beautiful hairy legs!

If you are parents definitely look at these web sites cause if your kid has asthma sulfate can hurt them also.

Just so everyone knows that this allergy is just a random occurrence to random people nothing causes this as far as they know but for some reason though ever place i read said it happens to people more it there twenties.  Hmm two more years and ill be 30 so hopefully ill be safe.

Here is a website that has all the foods that contain sulfate
http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/sulfites.htm

and for those skeptics that dont believe me here is a website that you can start your own research with
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/32915/what_is_a_sulfate_allergy_and_how_will.html

Its not all the research but its a good place to start.

I hope this helps everyone!

Good luck and quit scratchin!
I've had this very same itching problem for about 15 years. Mine is most prominent in the cold months. My itching is on my lower legs usually on the shin or calf and the itch seems to track down the vein. The itching/scratching is usually in the evening-early morning, very intense and will sometimes end with blood. I found that I was able to get a little relief when I was a smoker. When it would wake me up in the middle of the night I would go have anywhere between 1/2 and a whole cigarette and it would dull the itch to where I could go back to sleep. My mother said her dad had the same issue and that his Dr. prescribed a med for it, it was a steroid and when I looked it up it was primarily used for (low, I'm guessing) blood pressure issues. I told this same story to my Dr. and she told me to stop taking hot showers. I wanted to choke her and say it's not dry skin!!!!

So in my opinion, my situation could be a blood pressure issue, (that is hereditary, my grandfather and my oldest daughter). Though my blood pressure has never been an issue, maybe when my heart is beating it's slowest in sleep it's dropping to a point that causes this itching and waking me up. My grandfather had the steroid Rx and smoking which boosts blood pressure are my clues.

I came searching tonight to see if maybe this sensation we're feeling and assuming is itching really is something else hence why scratching just won't make it go away.
Same problem as all of you  74 yrs male . Iching for the last 3 yrs
I have no long term solution but I believe its all blood related
What do I do ? use J&J baby oil and lots Keep the skin soft, when it get realy bad I go to the hand held shower and sray HOT water on my leggs for about 3 min
That veel so good plaster it with J&J bay oil good for about 24 Hr
Chad i think you hit it on the button, no you did, i have suffered this problem for many yrs.my dad had the problem to and when i started dealing with itchy legs, i said oh  no there gonna look like dads and i'm just like him.. well few yrs back i had an alergic (allergic) reaction to some prescription medication that contain sulfate in it, never thought about the connection with the itchy legs,and i like alot of toast for breakfast, i do not eat alot of sandwhiches,and like many others on here it's not all the time , it flares up mostly in cold weather. or when severe weather comes on, beleive it or not, but sulfate comes from the ground, i would assume, we must have such a connection with our earth.. funny to say.... i will watch what i eat with sulfate in it thanks chad
Hi all,

I came to this site hoping to find some answers about my own itching problem. My problem is a bit different than the ones discussed. What happens to me is about a quarter of a mile of walking or jogging my legs begin to itch. They usually itch behind my knees and on my lower thighs. My legs become red and you can see my pores or hair follicles (not sure which). The itching just almost makes me mad and it also causes mild nausea. I have to just stop where I am and scratch. I am only 28 years old and this has plagued me for quite some time. I just want to exercise and not be held back. I have the ability to keep on walking or jogging, I just cant stand to because I want to scratch my legs until I bleed. I have tried allergy medicine, topical and oral and still nothing.
I am reading all of these posts because my ankle/lower shin and calf on my left leg has been itch on and off for about 5 months.  I have no idea what is causing it.  I get some temporary relief when i put Cortizone 10 on it after the shower in the morning, but by mid afternoon I am itching again. I get NO relief from anti itch creams, anti fungal creams, tea tree oil might have helped a little but it stung.   And the itch is so unbearable that I scratch until I am bleeding.  I have nothing to show on my legs except scabs from the scratching that never seem to heal entirely, the itch is on and off consistantly, and it is so frustrating.  
I am a late started to this website but trust me I have been searching for an answer forever! I first noticed the severe itching during the last 3 months of my last pregnancy, of course this type of itching is common in pregnancy so I assumed it would go away once she was born. It has now been 4 months and I continue to have what I can only call"severe itching " on my lower legs and arms. The term itching doesnt even touch it though , it feels like someone is pouring acid on your skin or stabbing little needles in your leg. The crappy thing is it doesnt itch like a bug bite so there is no relief from scratching. my itching usually starts very early morning say between 3-4 a.m. Trying to stand in one place to get ready is excruciating. I also have a very very hard time after a shower. I dread my nightly shower because I know the outcome, if possible I will take benadryl 30 mins prior ... sometimes it helps sometimes it doesnt. I no longer can us a razor to shave because the after effects are too hard to cope with, I have since switched to the hair removal creams and although it helps a little it doesnt eliminate it altogether. I cant take anymore, it gets so bad it drives me to tears. Anyone in the same boat with the stabbing/acid being poured on your skin feeling?
HI... my dad has an itch for the last few months... occurs mainly at night... would have to itch so hard to draw blood.. the itch is from ankle to mid calf on both legs..

any suggestions in what it could me or what the problem is... please and thank you
i see this is quite a recurring problem with alot of people especially women =O heres my story, when i was 16 it started for lets say 3 weeks, i tried allsorts, eczema cream - e45 blah blah. then all the sudden it went, now, being 20 it has returned with a vengence.

The only way i can describe this itching is like having athletes foot all over your shins and thighs, although it doesnt go passed mid-thigh. if you have ever had athletes foot you shall know how insane that makes you.

Last time i had this itching it drove me insane too, i even have a scar above my knee where i scratched too hard because it was driving me nuts. I think it may be linked to warm weather, i live in the UK and it seems to crop up in warm weather (as we dont have alot of it ¬¬)

also i tried deducting my pill, i used to take microgynon then switched to logynon and now back to microgynon again and its recurred when ive been on the microgynon pill. But now i cant even use that as an excuse because ive heard men having the itching.
Although im pretty sure its hormonal somehow, pregnancies ive heard of it cropping up alot.

Even so i am no doctor, and no one knows how to get rid of this damn itching!

i thought it wise to post my comment as the more stories people hear maybe it will make a bigger picture.

My sympathies go out to all of you who have this =( but the best thing for me is taking my mind off of it, but i know i know it occurs when im trying to get to sleep too!
I have had the same problem for about 9 months.
I found that an antihistamine tablet taken at night so it doesn't make you drowsy the next day stopped it after a couple of days.
My problem was definitely an allergic reaction, to what I have no idea but at least I can stop it now.
Good Luck
Bill
I'm so glad I'm not the only one!! I'm 20 and I've had severe itching after getting my legs wet for as long as I can remember! at 16 I stopped shaving my legs and started having them waxed because I couldn't stand it anymore and that helped for a while but it's since come back worse than ever!! Now it's started on my arms too particularly after a shower but also when I go to bed, in the morning and when I change my clothes as anything that causes friction causes my legs to itch (which has now led to me avoiding certain items of clothes like jeggings/ jeans for fear of taking them off)! I'm pretty sure it's not washing powder or anything like that as it seems to be more bearable for a few months at a time whilst still using all of the same products. Also I'm not sure if it's aggravated by hormones as a certain points in my cycle its so bad I cry at least once a day!
I'll try anything if anyone else has any solutions!
I too had this problem. What is really needed when there are skin irritations is Omega 3, 6, and 9. You can get the pills at the health food store. Try to get one that is not made with fish oil. You can also find them here: www.********.com. I also purchased a skin brush from vitacost. I brush my legs and entire body before going to bed. This has worked wonders. Hope this helps.
Hi, I have found all the responses very interesting and i am pleased that people are experiencing the symptons ie. the intense feeling like pins being stuck in your legs and the crazyiness it makes you feel.
If anybody can help with my problem it would be great.  

I get itchy thighs in the Fall/Winter after a shower, extreme itch, redness and hives.  It goes after one hour with Lancarne and anit hestimine.  I am trying to work out what causes it.  It started 2 years ago when i moved into this house (wooden in winnipeg built in 1970) at the same time i had a baby so I am not sure if it's a hormonal thing or to do with the air in this house.  Other symptons i have suddenly had in the last 2 years, dermatitis and fungal toenails.  I suspect there is mold in this house and i am describing symptons caused by mold.  what do you think?  Any advice would be welcome.
I've also had this same itching, but i'm not in my twenties, im 17!
It only really happens during the warmer seasons when I get out of the shower. I did go to my doctor about it, because i have long nails, so when I do itch i normally do it so hard I bleed, that's how irritating it is.
Anyway, my doctor told me it's occuring because my legs are too dry, and sorbolene should make it stop.
Hope that helps.
Also, Chadhoward82, your explanation makes a lot of sense, but mine isn't due to food, it's the water, and I live in Australia. But I am aware that there is sulfate in the water. So thank you, your infomation was a great help. =]  
I have had much of the same leg itching problem as most people are describing.  I also tried lots and lots of things.  My problem is worse in winter as it is so dry where I live - in Winnipeg.  One consistent thing I realized is that when I get undressed and my legs are exposed to air I get itchy.  What I discovered was to use a very heavy hand cream - I like Glysomed by far the best.  But it is greasy and sticky when you put a lot on.  I put quite a generous amount on and the put on pantyhose.  That was I can still wear pants over or if I am at home I just wear shorts.  If I do this about 3 nights a week my skin totally clears up.  I think it is as much the pantyhose because it keeps the air off the skin.  Also, the Glysomed really helps with getting the skin healthy and naturally oily - in a positive way.  Guys, don't think this can't work for you because it is pantyhose.  I am a guy.  There is nothing wrong with wearing pantyhose, especially if it is effective.  Actually, my wife likes seeing them on me.  
I have itchy legs at night and put urine on a paper towel and put it on my legs and the itching went away instantly. I was putting urine in my bath water for a year before I even told my wife.It's embarrassing I know so juat do it and don't tell anyone you are. I clawed and clawed my legs hoping each one would be the last until I gor desperate enough to try this and it worked instantly. I don't know if I am allergic to sulfates or what but this works every time and if I stop the itching comes back.
Actually I used a kleenex not a paper towel.
I've had the same issue with my legs, itching burning needle like stabbing. Crazy. It definately is an allergy, because when I forget to take my Zyrtec it's worse or reappears.  What I recently found out is I'm allergic to Aspartame.  Especially Crystal Light.  Weird, I know. I stopped drinking crystal light and slowed down on diet soda, and I have not had anny midnight burning itchy legs.  Occasional dermatits, dry skin itch, but livable.  Thanks chad for the Sulfer info. I'm totally going to look into it.  I've also started laser on my legs for the coarse hair and it's working.  The burn has not returned.  good luck all
I can't tell you how relieved I am after reading all of these posts.  I am in the same boat!  The itching occurs on my lowers legs (below the knees) and occasionally on my arms - NEVER  anywhere else.  It is most common in the morning and at night before bed. It's often triggered by a shower or swimming in the pool, but sometimes it seems to come out of nowhere. It feels like a burning, itching, pins and needles sensation from the inside out.   I have been to 3 doctors and they all had different solutions - none of which worked.  I get some relief from Benadryl or a super, super hot shower or bath.  I am 36 years old and I first noticed the problem when I was pregnant -  about 7 years ago, during my last trimester. Now, I'm thinking the sulfate thing may make sense.  Let me tell you why... I recently went on a diet called "Ideal Protein."  As partof that diet, I had to give up carbs (which means I didn't eat any bread for 2 months).  I ate the pre-packaged, protein rich food, 6-8 ounces of meat a day and 4 cups of veggies a day.  I also gave up diet soda.  I only had the "itches" once during that 2 months. I'm back to eating normally again and I am itching 3 to 4 times a week.  I'm going to research this further and take the information back to my doctor.  Thanks Chad for the valuable info and the comic relief!
hi my name is kayla gray im 18 and this is my first pregnancy. i have been experiancing severe itchy legs for a week now. what can i do to make is stop?
Hi, I started microgynon  few days ago and my feet started to have such a bad itch. I think it is the side effect of that pill :| I have been having my period for 2 months and this pill was the only thing I had at home
I too have the "itch" and have been battling skin problems for the last 10 years. I first noticed small patches of irrating sores. Iwent to several Drs who all told me it was something different. It then progressed to the lower leg itch. I seen a dermatologist who torchered me with different treatments.I stopped seeing drs. It eventually eased up. Mine seems to be seasonal spring & fall it always comes back. Two years after this started I developed lesions which spread and grew around my neck arms and legs. I found a new dermatologist and after a punch biopsy it confirmed Sweets Syndrome. Autoimmune disease. After months of prednisone it finally went away. Sweets is linked to some frightening diseases. I have had a down fall in my health since this. I have seen multiple drs and many test and yes misdiagnosises. I had 3 different Drs over medicate me. I haven't seen a Dr. now for over a year. I am currently taking supplements Omega 3,caltrate,D3,folic acid,B12, and Biotin.Biotin for the skin and hair...as i was losing a lot of hair. I have been deficeint in D and my B12 was dropping. Diet and nutrition are very important.It has helped me. Here it is spring and that itch is back. Tanning has helped me also....I plan to start slowly soon. Zyrtec did seem to help some....I have chosen to get off all prescribed meds tho. I have to be extremely careful with my skin. I am terrified of another Sweets outbreak. I do have chronic inflammation, arthritis in my neck and who knows what else. I'm afraid to go back to a Dr. I have not found one in my area that can help me. They just want to push drugs. I have permanent damage now from some of the meds. I drink a lot of water,juice and try to stick the arthritis type diet.
I was curious if anyone who has been going through this for several years now .....has had any other health issues also. I do believe our skin does warn us that something is up.
I have the same condition and use the same cure you do. I use baby oil on my legs before I shower. If I have an itching outbreak, I shower my legs with hot water, as hot as I can stand it for 5 minutes until they tingle. Repeat everyday as necessary and it stops within 2 to 3 days.
Sulfates are a huge group of chemicals many are naturally occurring. Too much of anything is not good but I've seen many people running from things that are not the cause of their problems. Many books written and small fortunes are produced from these pseudo-science commentaries.

Try baby oiling your legs before a shower. If you have an itching spell, shower your legs with hot water for 5 minutes, as hot as you can stand it. My condition goes away during the summer and comes back in the winter. Nothing changes other than the season.

(I posted the following on another forum before I found this one.)

I've solved my itchy leg problem!

I'm 65 and fortunate to have very good health apart from agonising itching on my lower legs for the last few years, mostly at night but occasionally during the day too, and I'd HAVE to scratch my legs raw, even though it hurt, otherwise I'd never sleep. I've eaten healthily and avoided chemicals as much as possible for a long time, but assumed I had some sort of allergy so carefully monitored my diet etc. I could sometimes go for quite long periods without itching, without really knowing why. Then a few months ago when it returned with a vengeance I realised it was a winter thing, which made me wonder if I was deficient in vitamin D. I started taking 500iu of D3 and noticed a huge improvement, so I knew I was on the right track.

Hooray for the Internet! I did lots of research on vitamin D3 from both sunshine and supplements and discovered that there is an epidemic of vitamin D deficiency, causing large numbers of diseases, including allergies, and that it is safe to take large doses if it cannot be obtained naturally from sunshine. (Sunscreen blocks the beneficial rays that produce vitamin D on our skin, and for much of the year, depending on where you live, the sun is loo low for those good rays to reach us anyway.) It is highly recommended to get your D3 levels tested to see if you are deficient.

I increased the supplement for a few weeks, and added vitamin K, and am thrilled to report that I am completely itch-free and my previously scabby and scarred legs have healed. It's a very wet Spring here in the UK and I can't wait to get my D3 naturally from the sunshine. But I will definitely be taking supplements again next winter.

I really hope this helps others who are suffering like I did, but please do your own research on the benefits and dangers of sunbathing and supplementing with vitamin D. There's masses of information out there.
I started having this problem about a year ago.  I am vitamin D deficiant and I also have developled rosacea in about the same amount of time.  I am also allergic to sulfa drugs.  All these comments are very interesting and at least make me feel like I am not the only one scratching my legs until they bleed and trying everything under the sun with only temporary relief.  I think I need to increase my vitamin D supplement intake.  I started to use an olive oil/sugar scrub which does help a little.  I might try putting olive oil on my legs after showering instead of the usual moisturizer.  

Does anyone else have rosacea in addition to the itchy legs?
your post interests me.  In addition to the itchy legs I also have developed rosacea in the same timeframe.  Actually since my original post someone shared with me to add additional vitamin D besides what I get in my multi-vitamin.  my primary care physician has always told me just to take a daily multi-vitamin, however I've found additional vitamins help me more.  I take additional calcium plus vitamin D.  
I was tested and found out I was severly vitamin D deficient.  I wouldn't recommend adding a large amount of vitamin D without having your blood tested first.  I have been taking 2000 IU in addition to the 800 IU in my multivitamin. Despite this, I still have the issues with what I thought was rosacea and the itchy legs.  My doctor wanted me to take 5000 IU a day but that just seems too high.  I need to get my blood tested again and see what my level is at before I start taking more than I already am.

I am starting to think I have eczema.  I tried putting extra virgin olive oil on my legs and cheeks before I went to bed last night.  This morning, my legs weren't itching like crazy when I woke up like they normally do and my cheeks look and feel A LOT better!  My legs look a lot better as well.  I recommend trying this.  I also put it on my legs when I got out of the shower the other day and had no itching until later that night.  

I also suffer from seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp.  I alternate using Selsan Blue and Head and Shoulders.  I have been using both for about a month every time I shampoo and now that it is starting to clear up I have gon back to using my 365 natural shampoo from whole foods.  It is sulfate/sulfite/paraben free and it is only $5.99 for a 32 oz. bottle.  I use the conditioner as well.  Does anyone else with the itchy legs also have this scalp issue?  I really think that the rosacea/itchy legs/itchy thick scaly scalp are allergic reactions to something.  I also wonder about a possible connection with my vitamin D deficiency.
5000 iu of vitamin D is not at all high, especially if you have been tested and found to be deficient.  To cure my itchy leg problem I took a lot more than that, just for a few weeks, and to remain itch-free I now take 10,000 iu a day together with a vitamin K capsule, as well as getting out in the sun when I can.  I recommend you Google vitamin D, as I did, and also people like Jeff Bowles, Michael F Holick and Dr Mercola, and read the beginning of each of their books for free on Amazon.  I can't tell you how glad I am that I did that!  I'm so excited to be confidently free of this problem and I would love to hear of anyone else who has had a similar experience.
Vick's Vaporub in a light layer will give immediate and long lasting relief (most of the day)
If you can stand the smell
I have taken 10,000 units a day for year and my itching is very rare now, it took this long to get my D levels to normal.  I have other issues with Systemic Lupus and the itching may be a problem with the nervous system.  I have blood worked checked regularly.
Hey...m also facing the same problem like urs. I am having problem of legs itching as well as scalp problem. I think its really connected. On the back of my head i used to had itching and i tend to scratch and white flakes come out, slowly slowly It was increasing then I went to doctor thats actually PSORIASIS. Under medication i used one ointment called HALOX lotion so when-ever i am applying that it'll get less but when i stop applying that again its same. i think there is no permanent solution...If there is any permanent solution plz help me.
Even i am badly suffering from leg itching. Every night it gets worse, for the sake of stop i tend to scratch like anything until it gets bleed. Very badly i am suffering from these 2 problems. I've read all above posts so i am gonna try Olive Oil. I hope it gets better.
This is gonna sound crazy but I havn't had very itchy legs since I took my son for swim lessons last Friday and was in the pool for an hour.  My rosacea looks better too!  I am still using the olive oil on my legs and face cheeks and am now taking 3,800 IU of vitamin D.  I ddin't see a huge improvement until after soaking in an indoor pool for an hour.  Must be the chlorine.  My scalp has been better I am only using the Selson blue or head and shoulders on the weekend.
I know you posted this a long time ago, but i just read alot about what may cause this.  Could be capillaries opening back up again after a long dead period of no exercise, could be the rise in body temperature and how you sweat but as you exercise more and more this should go away.  Here's more info that might be helpful to you: http://www.livestrong.com/article/416915-why-do-my-legs-itch-when-i-exercise/

Apparently, there is also a rare condition to where you can actually be allergic to exercise....but i think this would be encompassing of all exercising, not just jogging, so that more than likely doesn't pertain to you.
i have it too! i'm 28 and live in fl. i had it for about a month when i was 23 and then it just went away. about 4 months ago i had the most sever eye itch. i lasted for almost 2 months it felt like chicken pox itch but in my eyes. then it went away and now my entire legs are itchy. it started like 2 months ago and has gotten soooooooo bad. its almost like 2 diffenrt rashes. i have dry round scally patches all up my legs and also lil red bumps all over. i have tried everything and i cant aford to go to the dr. i scratch so much i get sores.its aweful! i read the post about the   sulfure and im going to check into that and see if thats what it is. i am so sorry that so many people have to deal with this. it *****!!!!!
I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for your post.  I now know beyond a shaddow of doubt I'm allergic to sulfate of any kind.  As long as I stay away from eating them, no itching legs!! :)  I suffered for 2 yrs before I read your post!  Thanks again :-)
Wow...I thought I was the only one with this problem! I started with the itchy legs about 4 months ago and now it's to the point where I have severe rashes from scratching! It's painful and I hate it.
I read every single comment and I am def. gonna try taking vitamin D and Benadryl. I hope i see some improvement.
I will repost if i get results.
This is an update to my posts in April and May '12.  I continued taking 5,000 iu vitamin D3 throughout the summer and soaked up the sun when I could (this is the UK!) and remained completely itch-free.  With winter upon us I have doubled the dose and and added vitamin K2.  I am still itch-free, whereas in previous winters I'd have been climbing the walls in agony with the itching!  A few days ago I felt just the slightest hint of an itch under the skin above my ankle, where it always used to start, and I was also sneezing and feeling coldy.  I took one extra 10,000iu dose of D3 and K2 and the itch and cold disappeared in minutes.  I urge everyone to do the research themselves and learn why and when we need sunshine and why D3 and K2 need to be taken together and to buy good quality supplements.  Good luck to everyone with this awful problem and I hope the solution to mine helps you too.
Try using rubbing alcohol on the itch area after you have scratched the area. it burns, but feels much better than the constance itch. Another thing you can do is, don't scratch with your fingernails, us a wash cloth soaked in real cold water, and rub heck out of your legs. Maybe try a damp wash cloth with ice cubes in it to rub.
I am 31 and have experienced the same exact itching problems starting from my ankle all the way up to about mid thigh every since i was pregnant 5 years ago.  I has completely drove me and my husband insane. Nothing seems to work and my Dr. can't seem to figure it out.  I am going to get an appointment with a Dermatologist and an Aleregy Dr. as soon as possible.  I wake up every night in the middle of the night (alot of nights my husband wakes me up telling me to freaken STOP) just CLAWING my legs all to H!@$!!!  I can't stand it any more.  It is at times times constant....after showers, shaving, swimming.........i have sores all over my lowwer legs and it *****!!!!  I can't wear shorts or dresses and i love wearing both!!!!!!!!!  My kids always ask me why i don't wear dresses or shorts and i can't explain to them what i am going through or what my leggs look or feel like....it is so embarasing!!!!!  I never experienced this untill my last pregnancy.  PLEASE; If ANYONE finds a sure fire, without a doubt, GARAUNTED fix to this PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.........HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am a health fifty year old male.  A couple of months ago out of the blue I developed a really bad dose of itchy legs, the back side of my legs, especially at night.  The itch was driving me crazy.  I read this forum and saw that someone mentioned folic acid.  I found in our medicine chest a bottle of Nature Made (brand) Prenatal Multi + DHA.  I noticed that it had 800 mcg folic acid.  I took one and within hours the itch vanished.  I stopped taking them after a few days and the itch returned.  Back on them now and the itch is 100% gone.  Seems like I will be on them for some time and see what happens. Maybe it is the folic acid or maybe something else in the pills, who knows.  A true story and great relief!
ATTENTION: ladies and gents with itchy limbs,

I am writing here as my dad HAD itchy calves syndrome for a long time. he tried everything - lotions, diet, etc etc nothing really worked and at one point i thought he was going senile and imagining things until i went on the net and saw how many people had this 'itch' issue. The itch comes mainly at night/middle of the night around sleep time and he says it feels like "there some micro insects crawling under the skin". yes, the urge to scratch is maddening, and maybe something in our modern lifestyle, diet, pharma pills etc has lead to our bodies somewhat 'rebelling' with this itchy symptoms; just that we don't know what the cause is, could be multiple things. What is not in doubt is the physical & emotional turmoil from the damn itch.

anyway, i heard of this PAIDA slapping technique, did some research, decided it wasn't dangerous or expensive, and showed it to me dad. He used it with immediate results and relief. so simple, yet it worked for him and i hope some of you here can try it.

Please google paida, lajin, master xiao
or go here http://www.paidalajin.com/en/home/m_post.asp?id=206532420462

i am not paid for this link, just that i saw my dad's suffering and if this can help.....besides PAIDA is basically free and you can DIY. i think watching your diet and what you eat also enchances the benefits.

If this helps, pls let me know at ***@****

cheers!
I have had this problem since I was 14 years old. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, with one of the best water purification systems in North America.  When I was 14 years old I had this incessant skin itch.  Finally, after making myself bleed and scab, my mom panicked and took me to the emergency room - the a-hole doctor gave me a treatment for scabies (classified as an STD) and told my mom to get my mattress pretty much fumigated.  So we went home, cleaned the crap out of my room and mattress (which were clean anyways) and started this treatment, even though I had never been sexually active at this point.  Well, of course, it didn't go away - it got worse.  The next week I was leaving to go to Vegas with my best friend's family and I'm not sure if it was the weather or what but by the time I got home it was mostly cleared up.  I went over two years without another issue.

I am 24 now and the itching came back when I was about 20.  I saw another doctor and he gave me a requisition form for blood work and checked off pretty much everything on it as cancer, liver & kidney disorders/diseases and other serious conditions can cause severe itching.  It came back that I was fine so the doctor diagnosed me with chronic urticaria (hives) and prescribed me Atarax which made me incredibly drowsy but definitely did the trick.  All of a sudden, about 8 months ago, it just stopped. It was like magic.  I don't know how or why as I haven't really changed anything but I'm so thankful. I have scars from scratching myself furiously for the past 10 years.  It has affected my self-image and confidence, not to mention how painfully exhausting this awful itching is.  So all I can really say to those who are just now experiencing it - go see your doctor, get the blood work done and don't take ******** answers like, "stop taking hot showers". Get a referral for an allergist and get your skin tested.  It's worth the extra work to find out what this is, trust me - don't let it go on for 10 years and don't bank on it just disappearing one day.  I feel like this issue baffles doctors - we have beautiful universal health care here in Canada and leading doctors so I have seen many over the years and not one could really pinpoint it.  But get the blood work done because like I said, it's a strong indicator of a much more serious condition.

I hope it comes to an end for all of you too!

I had the exact thing happen to me when I would run. I finally, went to the dermatologist. My body was releasing histamine. All I had to do is tank an antihistamine. It's like magic. I used Atarax for the itching symptom if I forgot to take my antihistamine. I just used Claritan. Like magic....no stinging, itchy legs. Good luck
Thanks Chad! I wish I were in my 20's. I'm 47 and the severe itch on the front of my calves started about 2 years ago and nothing works for me except a natural oil called Melaluca. I picked this up at this natural oils party I went to. But, it doesn't get rid of it. I'm gonna check into the Sulfate this. I think your on to something here.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  Your answer sounds right.  I just started this itchy leg-itis, as you called it, a couple days ago.  I had no idea what it was, except maybe severe dry skin.  But, after using tons of lotion, it didn't get any better, and after reading other people's symptoms, mine were exactly the same.  Well, we recently had really bad storms and we lost our power.  We stayed at my mother in laws for a couple days since she has a generator.  Guess what she served for lunch both days... sandwiches!!!  I'm NOT a bread person normally.  I rarely eat bread!  I was about to go to my Dr, but decided to do some research before I spent the money on a Dr visit and I'm glad I did.  Now that I know what caused it, how long will it take to go away???  I don't have much skin on my ankles and feet anymore, Calamine lotion is almost empty, and I'm out of Benedryl.  lol  Thanks again for finding the answer to our itch!
Are you still having this problem? I want you to know i went through the same thing.... several times over the course of many years! I have moved a lot and b/c of this, it is very clear to me that it's cause is from something in the home or apt that I am staying in!!
I 1st experienced the itching while staying back and forth between my friends house and my step moms house... for several months the itching would come on randomly and it was unbearable! Same PAINFUL NEEDLE itching you described, NOT just ordinary itching. When I moved into a new place with new roommates it went away. I lived there for 2 years and had no problem.
I then moved again and stayed in an "unfinished garage" (little to no insulation, etc yuck).. it came back! for one whole year I dealt with it. It was terrible!!!!!
I then moved again and ... it went away, again.... I was happy and symptom free  for 1.5 years.
I recently got married this past May and my husband and I decided to move out of the apt and into an old row house in a historic community outside the city. within 3 weeks the itching returned.. I had a HUGE meltdown... it happened every time I got out of the shower... I would start feeling itchy in the morning. This old house, had a musty smell and thats when my husband and I decided to look around. We found some mold in a ceiling tile in the laundry room (which was the mustiest smelling room in the house) and we made a complaint to the landlord. I did a ton of research and found that musty smelling environments usually have to much humidity as well which can lead to dust mites. So just for precaution we got a dust mite mattress covering.
The itching was terrible and our Landlord did nothing about the mold (except tell us to throw the tile out) and made it clear he wasn't going to help get rid of the musty smell with a dehumidifier either.
I decided I needed to double check my theory. I asked my sister if I could stay with her. Now, remember I JUST married so for me to stay across town away from my husband must be proof the itching is as bad as we say it is lol... well lets just say i stayed for 2 months! b/c within 2 weeks my symptoms were gone and I could go about my day normally... once again- YAY!
We terminated our lease and moved into an apt (which we went back to see 3x before committing just b/c we wanted to make sure there was nooooo damp feeling/humidity or any trace  of musty smell. lol..Well we have been here for 2 months and I am so happy and symptom free.
I really believe it is an allergy to either mold or dust mites.... that would also explain having the issues in that unfinished garage apt I lived in.
If you own a home and cannot move, I would really suggest getting an inspector out to the home to check for mold and to check your humidity levels in the house! Trust me, I wouldn't have lost a security deposit and pay 1 months rent penalty charge if i wasn't sure that moving was going to make the itching go away!
I new it wasn't my diet b/c I haven't change my diet in years and never had food allergies. The only common denominator was It would come and go depending on where I was living.. (I also have lived in the same two states and now the same city for a long time, so it is not local allergies either)
I hope this helps you and many others!
In the meantime... Apple Cider Vinegar, use it with lotion as soon as you get out of the shower, it helped me more than ANY other remedy! (it will sting if you shaved, just FYI)
Have you moved locations, apartments or homes during any of this time? Have you noticed any kind of claimant change in your home? Like does it get a bit muggy in the summers or is there any lack of ventilation? Do you have a basement that is musty? Anything?
That is interesting, my  legs have started itching severely in the middle of the night, tonight I couldn't stand it so I got up to look on line for some help. I had a knee injury and need a knee replacement I get pins and needles in that knee a lot at night but now this itching....and on both legs. I have been taking Morphine sulphate for  about 8 months for the pain. I feel stupid for asking but do you think Morphine sulfate has sulphate in it? lol now what?
It's possible. I have ankle and upper back/shoulder itch in this dry winter air. I can scratch till it bleeds deep. I was diagnosed with Ecsema (eczema) two years ago on my forehead . Here are some options I use to alleviate pain. 1. My wife has changed detergents and now uses Sensitive skin Arm & Hammer which has helped. 2. I also change into a fresh, loose tee at night as the shirt I was wearing begins to irritate my shoulders with all the dead skin cells from the day. 3.Try different bars of soap, Ivory was the worst... 4. Use Aveeno after showering, it's pricey but it's the best I've found. 5. A stuffy, crammed bed sometimes kills, I move to the couch with more open air.  And if a heavy sweater or fleece material begins to upset the skin, throw that puppy in the corner of the closet and spit on it. (Done this) Good luck, friends.
Hi, thanks for the tip on folic acid.  I'm 54 and have had itchy lower legs and ankles for about 7 years.  It is absolutely horrible itching.  I first went to see my dermatologist and he recommended a therapy of ultraviolet lights.  He has 3 booths in his office and people stand in the booths for about an hour three times a week for six months.  He said that generally stops the itching for about 2 to 3 years.  I was thinking that is 72 office visits at $75 a pop which is a pretty good racquet this guy has going.  He said that no cream would help I insisted and he reluctantly prescribed a steroid cream which did not work.  I haven't seen him since.  I have toyed around with several different remedies.  I took a very close look at the skin on the inside of my calves, where the itch seems to be the wost.  (Close enough to see the actual skin cells) and I can see a hite substance kind of growing between the cells.  I went out and purchased a soft brislted hair brush and started using it to brush the skin.  The bristles are stiff enough to give it a vigorous brushing but not so hard to cause bleeding.  Immediately I noticed a white powdery substance puffing into the air as I brushed.  I think I was brushing away whatever that substance is.  After a good brushing, about 15 minutes later, the itching stops and stays gone for two to three days.  Another thing about this is that it seems cyclical.  I may go 3 months with no symptoms and then suddenly  it comes back with a vengeance for two months or more.  I suffer from depression and had a psychiatrist tell me that his mother suffered from the same thing and they decided it was histomines gathering on and around her lower leg skin cells.  SO I think it could be histomines or perhaps some sort of fungus.  But I have yet to see a doctor look closely enough to see the white substance.  Without even examining it they just call it dermititus and either prescribe a steroid cream or refer me back to a dermatologist. I do find relief with .10% cortisone cream (over the counter) and anti-itch creams with benedryl in them.  But the absolute best cure I've found is brushing the white powder out of the skin.  I think it grows right around the nerve receptors and that is what is causing the itching.  
THANK YOU SO MUCH!   I really have been thinking that sulfates were my problem before I read your post...I am allergic to sulfa drugs, which I am sure you know are antibiotics, usually.  This is my third day of having itchy legs and also an itchy left arm.  Some spots on my right arm are itchy too.  But, until today, nothing looked different about my skin!!! except for red marks where I had been scratching too much! n one bruise where I scratched too much.  During the day it is still itchy, but moving around seems to make it go away.  I've been using hydrocortisone cream OTC, and at first it seems like it's helping, but it itches too much still to tell if it is making a difference.  Another thing I suspect is the fact that I recently had my blood checked for several things, and my ANA came back positive!  That's Anti Nuclear Antibodies, chemicals that attack pretty much every cell in my body.  The doc said it could be anything from lupus to cancer, and not to worry about it!!! can you believe it?  I am so worried it's lupus causing these symptoms and that they will never go away!!!  Since the only new thing I have done lately is start jogging again, my husband suggested it could be a heat rash.  Heat does exacerbate the itching, and cool lotions and calamine help for about five minutes, but the only bumps I have are those of my hair follicles.  It's not a true rash, only irritated skin.
     ALSO- My doc gave me samples of a new drug called Brintellix, (vortioxetine tablets), which is a relatively new drug for depression that treats serotonin as well as dopamine, much like Cymbalta.  The first time I noticed itching in legs and arms was about two days after I took the first pill!  I thought allergies reacted sooner than that... But after I quit taking it, in about one day the itching subsided, thank GOD!!!  Well, about 3 months later, which was a few days ago, I decided I was going to take another one to see if I was really allergic to it, and I also knew I really needed to be on this medication if possible.  Well, now after taking ONE tablet, I have itched for the third day now.  Why my torso itches, I have no clue.  only my lower abdomen is irritated, and slightly.  I have a B.S. in Microbiology, and three years of Nursing school in the RN program, but I have never heard of anything like this.  Usually any allergic reaction causes a rash, but until this morning, I didn't have one, even for the sulfa drug reaction.  OMG!!!  I just this moment had a revelation.... my doctor called me in a drug called Bactrim and I have been taking it for about five days.  I JUST looked at the label and it's generic says Trimeth/Sulfa DS......   And he knows I am allergic to sulfa drugs.  I guess I better start memorizing a list of all sulfa drugs.  Thank you sooooo very much for the insight, or I would have kept itching  without knowing why.  I was about to go wait in a crowded emergency room because today is Sunday and no docs are open.. ....... THANK YOU!!!
I am a 74yr old male, and I have suffered from itchy legs for the past 25 years, in spite of seeing three skin specialists; several doctors and courses of Prednisone, 40mg; every kind of oily cream or past you can imagine, with no real satisfactory relief. I was also encouraged to bathe my legs with a Pinetarsol solution, but that had no effect either, other to make my legs feel that I had been scalded, although the solution was only hand-hot. Some home research has led to the following conclusions:
1. Put an ice block in a plastic bag; rub it on the itchy area and get some relief; enough to help one get to sleep, etc.
2. Smother the itch area with Calamine paste; make by allowing the fluids in Calamine to evaporate; brush it on (paintbrush) and get sustained relief.
3. Watch what you eat; MSG and its derivatives (621, 627, 631, etc.) are to be strictly avoided.
The doctor now thinks that this may be an exposed nerve ends syndrome; similar to shingles.
As a footnote, I was unaware of the bread problem, but it seems to me that it may also be a culprit. Today, I am itchy and I believe this is because I had toast at lunchtime yesterday. I will keep experimenting! TTFN   Mika