Severe Itching on Legs
Over the past few months I have had severe itching on my legs literally from top to bottom. I have tried Benadryl with no luck and I am constantly putting Calamine lotion on my legs. The Calamine lotion usually helps for about 15 minutes but then the itching returns. I am at my breaking point with this. The itching causes pain and it feels like needles on my legs. I scratch them so much that I have fingernail marks all over my legs and sometimes even brusies. This causes my legs to look horrible. I'm so ashamed that I won't wear dresses or shorts. I haven't been to the doctor yet just because everything I have read hasn't given me much hope on a clear diagnosis. This has been an ongoing problem usually I have the severe itching for a few months then it will go away and out of the blue will appear again. I haven't changed laundry detergant, soap, lotion, etc. Please any help or insight you could give would be greatly appreciated! I really don't know how much more of this scratching my legs or me can take!  Oh and I noticed on some of the other posts people who had the same symptoms as myself were telling where they live...I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not but if so I live in Alabama.
Sulfates are a huge group of chemicals many are naturally occurring. Too much of anything is not good but I've seen many people running from things that are not the cause of their problems. Many books written and small fortunes are produced from these pseudo-science commentaries.

Try baby oiling your legs before a shower. If you have an itching spell, shower your legs with hot water for 5 minutes, as hot as you can stand it. My condition goes away during the summer and comes back in the winter. Nothing changes other than the season.

(I posted the following on another forum before I found this one.)

I've solved my itchy leg problem!

I'm 65 and fortunate to have very good health apart from agonising itching on my lower legs for the last few years, mostly at night but occasionally during the day too, and I'd HAVE to scratch my legs raw, even though it hurt, otherwise I'd never sleep. I've eaten healthily and avoided chemicals as much as possible for a long time, but assumed I had some sort of allergy so carefully monitored my diet etc. I could sometimes go for quite long periods without itching, without really knowing why. Then a few months ago when it returned with a vengeance I realised it was a winter thing, which made me wonder if I was deficient in vitamin D. I started taking 500iu of D3 and noticed a huge improvement, so I knew I was on the right track.

Hooray for the Internet! I did lots of research on vitamin D3 from both sunshine and supplements and discovered that there is an epidemic of vitamin D deficiency, causing large numbers of diseases, including allergies, and that it is safe to take large doses if it cannot be obtained naturally from sunshine. (Sunscreen blocks the beneficial rays that produce vitamin D on our skin, and for much of the year, depending on where you live, the sun is loo low for those good rays to reach us anyway.) It is highly recommended to get your D3 levels tested to see if you are deficient.

I increased the supplement for a few weeks, and added vitamin K, and am thrilled to report that I am completely itch-free and my previously scabby and scarred legs have healed. It's a very wet Spring here in the UK and I can't wait to get my D3 naturally from the sunshine. But I will definitely be taking supplements again next winter.

I really hope this helps others who are suffering like I did, but please do your own research on the benefits and dangers of sunbathing and supplementing with vitamin D. There's masses of information out there.
I started having this problem about a year ago.  I am vitamin D deficiant and I also have developled rosacea in about the same amount of time.  I am also allergic to sulfa drugs.  All these comments are very interesting and at least make me feel like I am not the only one scratching my legs until they bleed and trying everything under the sun with only temporary relief.  I think I need to increase my vitamin D supplement intake.  I started to use an olive oil/sugar scrub which does help a little.  I might try putting olive oil on my legs after showering instead of the usual moisturizer.  

Does anyone else have rosacea in addition to the itchy legs?
your post interests me.  In addition to the itchy legs I also have developed rosacea in the same timeframe.  Actually since my original post someone shared with me to add additional vitamin D besides what I get in my multi-vitamin.  my primary care physician has always told me just to take a daily multi-vitamin, however I've found additional vitamins help me more.  I take additional calcium plus vitamin D.  
I was tested and found out I was severly vitamin D deficient.  I wouldn't recommend adding a large amount of vitamin D without having your blood tested first.  I have been taking 2000 IU in addition to the 800 IU in my multivitamin. Despite this, I still have the issues with what I thought was rosacea and the itchy legs.  My doctor wanted me to take 5000 IU a day but that just seems too high.  I need to get my blood tested again and see what my level is at before I start taking more than I already am.

I am starting to think I have eczema.  I tried putting extra virgin olive oil on my legs and cheeks before I went to bed last night.  This morning, my legs weren't itching like crazy when I woke up like they normally do and my cheeks look and feel A LOT better!  My legs look a lot better as well.  I recommend trying this.  I also put it on my legs when I got out of the shower the other day and had no itching until later that night.  

I also suffer from seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp.  I alternate using Selsan Blue and Head and Shoulders.  I have been using both for about a month every time I shampoo and now that it is starting to clear up I have gon back to using my 365 natural shampoo from whole foods.  It is sulfate/sulfite/paraben free and it is only $5.99 for a 32 oz. bottle.  I use the conditioner as well.  Does anyone else with the itchy legs also have this scalp issue?  I really think that the rosacea/itchy legs/itchy thick scaly scalp are allergic reactions to something.  I also wonder about a possible connection with my vitamin D deficiency.
5000 iu of vitamin D is not at all high, especially if you have been tested and found to be deficient.  To cure my itchy leg problem I took a lot more than that, just for a few weeks, and to remain itch-free I now take 10,000 iu a day together with a vitamin K capsule, as well as getting out in the sun when I can.  I recommend you Google vitamin D, as I did, and also people like Jeff Bowles, Michael F Holick and Dr Mercola, and read the beginning of each of their books for free on Amazon.  I can't tell you how glad I am that I did that!  I'm so excited to be confidently free of this problem and I would love to hear of anyone else who has had a similar experience.
Vick's Vaporub in a light layer will give immediate and long lasting relief (most of the day)
If you can stand the smell
I have taken 10,000 units a day for year and my itching is very rare now, it took this long to get my D levels to normal.  I have other issues with Systemic Lupus and the itching may be a problem with the nervous system.  I have blood worked checked regularly.
Hey...m also facing the same problem like urs. I am having problem of legs itching as well as scalp problem. I think its really connected. On the back of my head i used to had itching and i tend to scratch and white flakes come out, slowly slowly It was increasing then I went to doctor thats actually PSORIASIS. Under medication i used one ointment called HALOX lotion so when-ever i am applying that it'll get less but when i stop applying that again its same. i think there is no permanent solution...If there is any permanent solution plz help me.
Even i am badly suffering from leg itching. Every night it gets worse, for the sake of stop i tend to scratch like anything until it gets bleed. Very badly i am suffering from these 2 problems. I've read all above posts so i am gonna try Olive Oil. I hope it gets better.
This is gonna sound crazy but I havn't had very itchy legs since I took my son for swim lessons last Friday and was in the pool for an hour.  My rosacea looks better too!  I am still using the olive oil on my legs and face cheeks and am now taking 3,800 IU of vitamin D.  I ddin't see a huge improvement until after soaking in an indoor pool for an hour.  Must be the chlorine.  My scalp has been better I am only using the Selson blue or head and shoulders on the weekend.
I know you posted this a long time ago, but i just read alot about what may cause this.  Could be capillaries opening back up again after a long dead period of no exercise, could be the rise in body temperature and how you sweat but as you exercise more and more this should go away.  Here's more info that might be helpful to you: http://www.livestrong.com/article/416915-why-do-my-legs-itch-when-i-exercise/

Apparently, there is also a rare condition to where you can actually be allergic to exercise....but i think this would be encompassing of all exercising, not just jogging, so that more than likely doesn't pertain to you.
i have it too! i'm 28 and live in fl. i had it for about a month when i was 23 and then it just went away. about 4 months ago i had the most sever eye itch. i lasted for almost 2 months it felt like chicken pox itch but in my eyes. then it went away and now my entire legs are itchy. it started like 2 months ago and has gotten soooooooo bad. its almost like 2 diffenrt rashes. i have dry round scally patches all up my legs and also lil red bumps all over. i have tried everything and i cant aford to go to the dr. i scratch so much i get sores.its aweful! i read the post about the   sulfure and im going to check into that and see if thats what it is. i am so sorry that so many people have to deal with this. it *****!!!!!
I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for your post.  I now know beyond a shaddow of doubt I'm allergic to sulfate of any kind.  As long as I stay away from eating them, no itching legs!! :)  I suffered for 2 yrs before I read your post!  Thanks again :-)
Wow...I thought I was the only one with this problem! I started with the itchy legs about 4 months ago and now it's to the point where I have severe rashes from scratching! It's painful and I hate it.
I read every single comment and I am def. gonna try taking vitamin D and Benadryl. I hope i see some improvement.
I will repost if i get results.
This is an update to my posts in April and May '12.  I continued taking 5,000 iu vitamin D3 throughout the summer and soaked up the sun when I could (this is the UK!) and remained completely itch-free.  With winter upon us I have doubled the dose and and added vitamin K2.  I am still itch-free, whereas in previous winters I'd have been climbing the walls in agony with the itching!  A few days ago I felt just the slightest hint of an itch under the skin above my ankle, where it always used to start, and I was also sneezing and feeling coldy.  I took one extra 10,000iu dose of D3 and K2 and the itch and cold disappeared in minutes.  I urge everyone to do the research themselves and learn why and when we need sunshine and why D3 and K2 need to be taken together and to buy good quality supplements.  Good luck to everyone with this awful problem and I hope the solution to mine helps you too.
Try using rubbing alcohol on the itch area after you have scratched the area. it burns, but feels much better than the constance itch. Another thing you can do is, don't scratch with your fingernails, us a wash cloth soaked in real cold water, and rub heck out of your legs. Maybe try a damp wash cloth with ice cubes in it to rub.
I am 31 and have experienced the same exact itching problems starting from my ankle all the way up to about mid thigh every since i was pregnant 5 years ago.  I has completely drove me and my husband insane. Nothing seems to work and my Dr. can't seem to figure it out.  I am going to get an appointment with a Dermatologist and an Aleregy Dr. as soon as possible.  I wake up every night in the middle of the night (alot of nights my husband wakes me up telling me to freaken STOP) just CLAWING my legs all to H!@$!!!  I can't stand it any more.  It is at times times constant....after showers, shaving, swimming.........i have sores all over my lowwer legs and it *****!!!!  I can't wear shorts or dresses and i love wearing both!!!!!!!!!  My kids always ask me why i don't wear dresses or shorts and i can't explain to them what i am going through or what my leggs look or feel like....it is so embarasing!!!!!  I never experienced this untill my last pregnancy.  PLEASE; If ANYONE finds a sure fire, without a doubt, GARAUNTED fix to this PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.........HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am a health fifty year old male.  A couple of months ago out of the blue I developed a really bad dose of itchy legs, the back side of my legs, especially at night.  The itch was driving me crazy.  I read this forum and saw that someone mentioned folic acid.  I found in our medicine chest a bottle of Nature Made (brand) Prenatal Multi + DHA.  I noticed that it had 800 mcg folic acid.  I took one and within hours the itch vanished.  I stopped taking them after a few days and the itch returned.  Back on them now and the itch is 100% gone.  Seems like I will be on them for some time and see what happens. Maybe it is the folic acid or maybe something else in the pills, who knows.  A true story and great relief!
ATTENTION: ladies and gents with itchy limbs,

I am writing here as my dad HAD itchy calves syndrome for a long time. he tried everything - lotions, diet, etc etc nothing really worked and at one point i thought he was going senile and imagining things until i went on the net and saw how many people had this 'itch' issue. The itch comes mainly at night/middle of the night around sleep time and he says it feels like "there some micro insects crawling under the skin". yes, the urge to scratch is maddening, and maybe something in our modern lifestyle, diet, pharma pills etc has lead to our bodies somewhat 'rebelling' with this itchy symptoms; just that we don't know what the cause is, could be multiple things. What is not in doubt is the physical & emotional turmoil from the damn itch.

anyway, i heard of this PAIDA slapping technique, did some research, decided it wasn't dangerous or expensive, and showed it to me dad. He used it with immediate results and relief. so simple, yet it worked for him and i hope some of you here can try it.

Please google paida, lajin, master xiao
or go here http://www.paidalajin.com/en/home/m_post.asp?id=206532420462

i am not paid for this link, just that i saw my dad's suffering and if this can help.....besides PAIDA is basically free and you can DIY. i think watching your diet and what you eat also enchances the benefits.

If this helps, pls let me know at ***@****

cheers!
I have had this problem since I was 14 years old. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, with one of the best water purification systems in North America.  When I was 14 years old I had this incessant skin itch.  Finally, after making myself bleed and scab, my mom panicked and took me to the emergency room - the a-hole doctor gave me a treatment for scabies (classified as an STD) and told my mom to get my mattress pretty much fumigated.  So we went home, cleaned the crap out of my room and mattress (which were clean anyways) and started this treatment, even though I had never been sexually active at this point.  Well, of course, it didn't go away - it got worse.  The next week I was leaving to go to Vegas with my best friend's family and I'm not sure if it was the weather or what but by the time I got home it was mostly cleared up.  I went over two years without another issue.

I am 24 now and the itching came back when I was about 20.  I saw another doctor and he gave me a requisition form for blood work and checked off pretty much everything on it as cancer, liver & kidney disorders/diseases and other serious conditions can cause severe itching.  It came back that I was fine so the doctor diagnosed me with chronic urticaria (hives) and prescribed me Atarax which made me incredibly drowsy but definitely did the trick.  All of a sudden, about 8 months ago, it just stopped. It was like magic.  I don't know how or why as I haven't really changed anything but I'm so thankful. I have scars from scratching myself furiously for the past 10 years.  It has affected my self-image and confidence, not to mention how painfully exhausting this awful itching is.  So all I can really say to those who are just now experiencing it - go see your doctor, get the blood work done and don't take ******** answers like, "stop taking hot showers". Get a referral for an allergist and get your skin tested.  It's worth the extra work to find out what this is, trust me - don't let it go on for 10 years and don't bank on it just disappearing one day.  I feel like this issue baffles doctors - we have beautiful universal health care here in Canada and leading doctors so I have seen many over the years and not one could really pinpoint it.  But get the blood work done because like I said, it's a strong indicator of a much more serious condition.

I hope it comes to an end for all of you too!

I had the exact thing happen to me when I would run. I finally, went to the dermatologist. My body was releasing histamine. All I had to do is tank an antihistamine. It's like magic. I used Atarax for the itching symptom if I forgot to take my antihistamine. I just used Claritan. Like magic....no stinging, itchy legs. Good luck
Thanks Chad! I wish I were in my 20's. I'm 47 and the severe itch on the front of my calves started about 2 years ago and nothing works for me except a natural oil called Melaluca. I picked this up at this natural oils party I went to. But, it doesn't get rid of it. I'm gonna check into the Sulfate this. I think your on to something here.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  Your answer sounds right.  I just started this itchy leg-itis, as you called it, a couple days ago.  I had no idea what it was, except maybe severe dry skin.  But, after using tons of lotion, it didn't get any better, and after reading other people's symptoms, mine were exactly the same.  Well, we recently had really bad storms and we lost our power.  We stayed at my mother in laws for a couple days since she has a generator.  Guess what she served for lunch both days... sandwiches!!!  I'm NOT a bread person normally.  I rarely eat bread!  I was about to go to my Dr, but decided to do some research before I spent the money on a Dr visit and I'm glad I did.  Now that I know what caused it, how long will it take to go away???  I don't have much skin on my ankles and feet anymore, Calamine lotion is almost empty, and I'm out of Benedryl.  lol  Thanks again for finding the answer to our itch!
Are you still having this problem? I want you to know i went through the same thing.... several times over the course of many years! I have moved a lot and b/c of this, it is very clear to me that it's cause is from something in the home or apt that I am staying in!!
I 1st experienced the itching while staying back and forth between my friends house and my step moms house... for several months the itching would come on randomly and it was unbearable! Same PAINFUL NEEDLE itching you described, NOT just ordinary itching. When I moved into a new place with new roommates it went away. I lived there for 2 years and had no problem.
I then moved again and stayed in an "unfinished garage" (little to no insulation, etc yuck).. it came back! for one whole year I dealt with it. It was terrible!!!!!
I then moved again and ... it went away, again.... I was happy and symptom free  for 1.5 years.
I recently got married this past May and my husband and I decided to move out of the apt and into an old row house in a historic community outside the city. within 3 weeks the itching returned.. I had a HUGE meltdown... it happened every time I got out of the shower... I would start feeling itchy in the morning. This old house, had a musty smell and thats when my husband and I decided to look around. We found some mold in a ceiling tile in the laundry room (which was the mustiest smelling room in the house) and we made a complaint to the landlord. I did a ton of research and found that musty smelling environments usually have to much humidity as well which can lead to dust mites. So just for precaution we got a dust mite mattress covering.
The itching was terrible and our Landlord did nothing about the mold (except tell us to throw the tile out) and made it clear he wasn't going to help get rid of the musty smell with a dehumidifier either.
I decided I needed to double check my theory. I asked my sister if I could stay with her. Now, remember I JUST married so for me to stay across town away from my husband must be proof the itching is as bad as we say it is lol... well lets just say i stayed for 2 months! b/c within 2 weeks my symptoms were gone and I could go about my day normally... once again- YAY!
We terminated our lease and moved into an apt (which we went back to see 3x before committing just b/c we wanted to make sure there was nooooo damp feeling/humidity or any trace  of musty smell. lol..Well we have been here for 2 months and I am so happy and symptom free.
I really believe it is an allergy to either mold or dust mites.... that would also explain having the issues in that unfinished garage apt I lived in.
If you own a home and cannot move, I would really suggest getting an inspector out to the home to check for mold and to check your humidity levels in the house! Trust me, I wouldn't have lost a security deposit and pay 1 months rent penalty charge if i wasn't sure that moving was going to make the itching go away!
I new it wasn't my diet b/c I haven't change my diet in years and never had food allergies. The only common denominator was It would come and go depending on where I was living.. (I also have lived in the same two states and now the same city for a long time, so it is not local allergies either)
I hope this helps you and many others!
In the meantime... Apple Cider Vinegar, use it with lotion as soon as you get out of the shower, it helped me more than ANY other remedy! (it will sting if you shaved, just FYI)
Have you moved locations, apartments or homes during any of this time? Have you noticed any kind of claimant change in your home? Like does it get a bit muggy in the summers or is there any lack of ventilation? Do you have a basement that is musty? Anything?
That is interesting, my  legs have started itching severely in the middle of the night, tonight I couldn't stand it so I got up to look on line for some help. I had a knee injury and need a knee replacement I get pins and needles in that knee a lot at night but now this itching....and on both legs. I have been taking Morphine sulphate for  about 8 months for the pain. I feel stupid for asking but do you think Morphine sulfate has sulphate in it? lol now what?
It's possible. I have ankle and upper back/shoulder itch in this dry winter air. I can scratch till it bleeds deep. I was diagnosed with Ecsema two years ago on my forehead . Here are some options I use to alleviate pain. 1. My wife has changed detergents and now uses Sensitive skin Arm & Hammer which has helped. 2. I also change into a fresh, loose tee at night as the shirt I was wearing begins to irritate my shoulders with all the dead skin cells from the day. 3.Try different bars of soap, Ivory was the worst... 4. Use Aveeno after showering, it's pricey but it's the best I've found. 5. A stuffy, crammed bed sometimes kills, I move to the couch with more open air.  And if a heavy sweater or fleece material begins to upset the skin, throw that puppy in the corner of the closet and spit on it. (Done this) Good luck, friends.
Hi, thanks for the tip on folic acid.  I'm 54 and have had itchy lower legs and ankles for about 7 years.  It is absolutely horrible itching.  I first went to see my dermatologist and he recommended a therapy of ultraviolet lights.  He has 3 booths in his office and people stand in the booths for about an hour three times a week for six months.  He said that generally stops the itching for about 2 to 3 years.  I was thinking that is 72 office visits at $75 a pop which is a pretty good racquet this guy has going.  He said that no cream would help I insisted and he reluctantly prescribed a steroid cream which did not work.  I haven't seen him since.  I have toyed around with several different remedies.  I took a very close look at the skin on the inside of my calves, where the itch seems to be the wost.  (Close enough to see the actual skin cells) and I can see a hite substance kind of growing between the cells.  I went out and purchased a soft brislted hair brush and started using it to brush the skin.  The bristles are stiff enough to give it a vigorous brushing but not so hard to cause bleeding.  Immediately I noticed a white powdery substance puffing into the air as I brushed.  I think I was brushing away whatever that substance is.  After a good brushing, about 15 minutes later, the itching stops and stays gone for two to three days.  Another thing about this is that it seems cyclical.  I may go 3 months with no symptoms and then suddenly  it comes back with a vengeance for two months or more.  I suffer from depression and had a psychiatrist tell me that his mother suffered from the same thing and they decided it was histomines gathering on and around her lower leg skin cells.  SO I think it could be histomines or perhaps some sort of fungus.  But I have yet to see a doctor look closely enough to see the white substance.  Without even examining it they just call it dermititus and either prescribe a steroid cream or refer me back to a dermatologist. I do find relief with .10% cortisone cream (over the counter) and anti-itch creams with benedryl in them.  But the absolute best cure I've found is brushing the white powder out of the skin.  I think it grows right around the nerve receptors and that is what is causing the itching.  
THANK YOU SO MUCH!   I really have been thinking that sulfates were my problem before I read your post...I am allergic to sulfa drugs, which I am sure you know are antibiotics, usually.  This is my third day of having itchy legs and also an itchy left arm.  Some spots on my right arm are itchy too.  But, until today, nothing looked different about my skin!!! except for red marks where I had been scratching too much! n one bruise where I scratched too much.  During the day it is still itchy, but moving around seems to make it go away.  I've been using hydrocortisone cream OTC, and at first it seems like it's helping, but it itches too much still to tell if it is making a difference.  Another thing I suspect is the fact that I recently had my blood checked for several things, and my ANA came back positive!  That's Anti Nuclear Antibodies, chemicals that attack pretty much every cell in my body.  The doc said it could be anything from lupus to cancer, and not to worry about it!!! can you believe it?  I am so worried it's lupus causing these symptoms and that they will never go away!!!  Since the only new thing I have done lately is start jogging again, my husband suggested it could be a heat rash.  Heat does exacerbate the itching, and cool lotions and calamine help for about five minutes, but the only bumps I have are those of my hair follicles.  It's not a true rash, only irritated skin.
     ALSO- My doc gave me samples of a new drug called Brintellix, (vortioxetine tablets), which is a relatively new drug for depression that treats serotonin as well as dopamine, much like Cymbalta.  The first time I noticed itching in legs and arms was about two days after I took the first pill!  I thought allergies reacted sooner than that... But after I quit taking it, in about one day the itching subsided, thank GOD!!!  Well, about 3 months later, which was a few days ago, I decided I was going to take another one to see if I was really allergic to it, and I also knew I really needed to be on this medication if possible.  Well, now after taking ONE tablet, I have itched for the third day now.  Why my torso itches, I have no clue.  only my lower abdomen is irritated, and slightly.  I have a B.S. in Microbiology, and three years of Nursing school in the RN program, but I have never heard of anything like this.  Usually any allergic reaction causes a rash, but until this morning, I didn't have one, even for the sulfa drug reaction.  OMG!!!  I just this moment had a revelation.... my doctor called me in a drug called Bactrim and I have been taking it for about five days.  I JUST looked at the label and it's generic says Trimeth/Sulfa DS......   And he knows I am allergic to sulfa drugs.  I guess I better start memorizing a list of all sulfa drugs.  Thank you sooooo very much for the insight, or I would have kept itching  without knowing why.  I was about to go wait in a crowded emergency room because today is Sunday and no docs are open.. ....... THANK YOU!!!
I am a 74yr old male, and I have suffered from itchy legs for the past 25 years, in spite of seeing three skin specialists; several doctors and courses of Prednisone, 40mg; every kind of oily cream or past you can imagine, with no real satisfactory relief. I was also encouraged to bathe my legs with a Pinetarsol solution, but that had no effect either, other to make my legs feel that I had been scalded, although the solution was only hand-hot. Some home research has led to the following conclusions:
1. Put an ice block in a plastic bag; rub it on the itchy area and get some relief; enough to help one get to sleep, etc.
2. Smother the itch area with Calamine paste; make by allowing the fluids in Calamine to evaporate; brush it on (paintbrush) and get sustained relief.
3. Watch what you eat; MSG and its derivatives (621, 627, 631, etc.) are to be strictly avoided.
The doctor now thinks that this may be an exposed nerve ends syndrome; similar to shingles.
As a footnote, I was unaware of the bread problem, but it seems to me that it may also be a culprit. Today, I am itchy and I believe this is because I had toast at lunchtime yesterday. I will keep experimenting! TTFN   Mika
I developed this problem three years ago.  I have tried a lot of things also.

I have found that using T/Gel® which is a therapeutic shampoo for chronic Scalp Psoriasis, Seborrheic Dermatitis and common Dandruff works for me.  I use this EVERY day in the shower on my legs and then rub pure coconut oil on my legs as a moisturiser as it is claimed that coconut oil is good for several skin disorders such as acne, psoriasis, and eczema.

Its a relief which I find manageable but not a cure.

T-Gel is a product made in New Zealand, I'm not sure if it is sold anywhere else.  (www.neutrogena.com).

A big thank you to the people who suggested trying Vitamin D and K.  I am going to give that a go and see if it may stop itching for me.  I really hope it does.

I suffer from the same itchy leg syndrome as others here are complaining about. Sometimes I thought the extreme itching at night would drive me mad! No matter what the Dr. prescribed (usually a steroid cream) what I found to relieve the itch was using Solarcain (sunburn spray) or other first aid sprays containing Benzocain or Lidocaine . Peppermint oil also helps. Eventually after a few months it would subside. I have signs it is starting up again after almost 2 years without it. This time I am going to add Omegas to my regimen. I understand they can be very helpful.
You have joggers itch!wear loose fitting COTTON pants for a while, when you run or workout.
A LETTER I WROTE AFTER GETTING ITCHING

Morning,
Could you please tell me the full ingredients of the above product and what type of sulphates are you referring to.
Because I purchased two two litre casks of your Tawny Port on Wednesday and was a little reluctant to do so as in the past when I had a good drink of this port I developed red rashes on my legs and thinking maybe surely the port wouldn’t have caused that as I have had other brands of port and never got rashes.
Well on Wednesday I got stuck into your Port and after had six standard drinks over four hours in the morning I noticed I was itchy and I seen I had these small red rashes over my legs and during the day getting worse. Today when I woke up most of my legs and back are all red with rashes with hot itchy feeling and now my arms have rashes.
So I never had is problem with other brands of Port so it must be something you do or put in your Port and if it affects me it will affecting others and I am sure it’s not good for our health.

WAITING TO HEAR THERE REPLY BUT ITS THE SULPHITE IN DIET AND TOXINS IN OUR FOOD OUR BODIES ARE OVER LOADED
I have severe itchy lower legs also.  I can't believe it happens to so many females out there and there has to be a hormonal relation to it.  It seems to happen more at night but also happens throughout the day.  Myself and my husband notice that it only happens during PMS and then again a week after.  The itch is so intense and there is no relief.  I started taking maca root powder because it is supposed to balance hormones naturally. It hasn't helped because I still get itchy especially during PMS.  Sometimes I get an itchy rash on my knee and on my face.  I was thinking it could be an undiagnosed gluten allergy that is more pronounced during PMS because of the hormones?  I am going to get an allergy test to get some answers.
I am so happy I've found all your comments...I suffered with this for years, it IS NOT due to dry skin, certainly not for me anyhow.  The doctor sent me for a CAT scan, to a neurologist but nobody could figure it out.  All I could do was put cold compresses on my legs or go out in the winter air with bare legs and that only helped a tiny bit.  I grew up in the prairies where it was dry as dry could be and didn't have it, moved to Nova Scotia and that's where I was when it started, it continued after I moved to PEI.  Finally it stopped and I have no idea why, no change in detergent or anything else like that but I always knew it wasn't something topical it just felt like a systemic type of problem (from the inside out).  I did divorce my husband though, maybe I was allergic to him lol.... anyhow it stopped.  Worse than that now, my 20 year old daughter has it and I had no advice for her until I read some of your posts.  

First thing I'm going to get her to do is boost her Vitamin D, I have no doubt she'd be deficiant, if that doesn't work then will research the sulfates she takes in....also plan to get her in for blood work to assess her Vitamin D, B etc. and perhaps allergy testing.  Whew at least we have something to try now.

Thanks so much everyone...it's nice to know it's not just us!
Could it be ichthyosis? Try sanding your legs, there a few different things you could use. It sounds like a callous on your legs. Then use Shea butter or cocoa butter to keep moisturized.
I also suffer from these intensely itchy legs between knees & ankles, especially so during the winter months here in UK.

Someone mentioned that Folic acid might help, I'm not inclined to agree as I take 5mg tablets every day (helps towards a memory issue I have).

My own temporary solution so far that works for me is to basically scald the affected areas with hot water while in the shower. I use the jet/pulse setting and gently crank up the heat until I can feel it burning, then apply this to all the affected areas. My legs do sting a little after, but it does stop the itching for a few days. It might not exactly be 'healthy', but at least I'm not adding any other potential additives from various 'medicines' etc. until I find a permanent solution.
Hey Talk2megoose,
I have had the same problem forever, does it happen most frequently when it's cold or breezy? Honestly, and I'm not totally sure, but I think this is more genetic then anything, it could very well be your skin type. I have very sensitive skin, what helps me the most is wearing tight clothing when I exercise. I know how annoying this is to hear, but you have to resist the urge to scratch it. When you exercise your blood starts flowing faster and your skin starts to heat up. I get it even if I just go for a walk outside sometimes. What I do is as soon as I can I wrap my legs up in a warm soft blanket and drink some water. And if I haven't itched it usually goes away within ten minutes. I started exercising indoors with tight clothing on, which has helped a lot. Make sure you are drinking a lot of water throughout the exercise and watch your body temp. Try buying some work out clothes from a sports store. I hope this helped!
I know this is difficult, but try to stop scratching.  I bear it for a couple of minutes and the itching goes away.
Good luck with that. Sure, that would be the ideal solution, but you and I both know it isn't practical. I really wish people would stop giving advice if they don't have any sensible  ideas. I'm aware you're only trying to help, but when someone is experiencing itching to the point of going mad, and they're at their breaking point, that's the last thing they want to hear. We are not talking about a little itch. This is a serious condition that lasts for YEARS. I don't think even the most disciplined of us could bear to "stop scratching" for that long :/
YOU ARE VITAMIN-D DEFICIENCY....I THOUGHT I WAS LOSING MY MIND FROM ALL THE LEG ITCHING, I'VE LITERALLY SCRATCHED MYSELF WITH THICK BRISTLE BRUSHES AND THE SATISFACTION OF ITCHING WAS NEVER ENOUGH. I'VE PLACED MY LEGS IN HOT-HOT WATER FOR 10-15 MINUTES (IT FEELS AMAZING) AND THAT'S WHAT WOULD STOP THE ITCHING FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS. I WENT TO MY DOCTOR AND HE SAID IT'S ALLERGY. I STOPPED EATING ALMOST EVERYTHING, LOST A LOT OF WEIGHT...EVEN WATER WOULD MAKE ME ITCH. I TOOK MATTERS INTO MY OWN HANDS AND DID A FULL INVESTIGATION. CAME TO FIND OUT THAT WE ARE VITAMIN -D DEFICIENCY. I ALSO FOUND OUT THAT TAKING A VITAMIN THAT'S HIGH IN FOLIC ACID (PRENATAL VITAMINS) TOGETHER WITH THE VITAMIN-D DOES MIRACLES.
1. FIRST DAY TAKE (4) 1000IUD AND 1 PRENANTAL VITAMIN
2. DAY TWO TAKE ANOTHER (4) 1000iud AND 1 PRENATAL VITAIND
3. DAY THREE TAKE (3) 1000IUD AND 1 PRENATAL VITAMIN
4, TAKE 2 AND THEN EVERY DAY TAKE 1 ONLY.

VITAMIN-D IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR OUR BODY/HEALTH, IF DEFICIENT WE GET ALL KINDS OF SYMPTOMS/DISEASES THAT DOCTORS KEEP MISDIAGNOSING US. IN LESS THAN 1 WEEK, I PROMISE YOU WILL BETTER AND HAVE IT COMPLETELY DISAPPEAR.
Do u take them all at once or through out the day?
Do u take all the pills at once or space them out?
Thank you very much AlbanianGirl, I will try that. I thought my liver was not healthy, but from your submission, I did a research and realized the liver needs vitamin d to function well, hence the itching
I can relate to, and agree with, almost all of the posts on here. My situation is a little different. I am experiencing itching from my scalp to my feet. It has moved around over the past year and a half. I always itch on my scalp, legs and back. I can be doing nothing, and eating nothing, and I still itch. The only relief I somewhat get is when I'm at work. I think I'm too busy to notice it as much. But, I swear, as soon as I leave my workplace, I start itching. Last year, I actually contemplated suicide, because I could barely function. Lately, my chin has begun itching furiously. This is maddening, and doctors DO NOT know what this phenomenon is! They keep saying it's an allergy, but they don't know what I'm allergic to. It feels as if it's nerve related, like a deep skin itch. I have scabs and scars all over. Some have pretty well healed, but I don't show my legs in public anymore. I have found a remedy, albeit temporary, that works for me every time. On the itchy spot, use a blow dryer on the highest, hottest setting until you feel a burning sensation. It will seem unbearable for a moment, but the instant relief you feel is worth it. Google it if you don't believe me. I know this isn't a long term, permanent solution, but it will help you get some sleep, at least. Good luck to all of you who are suffering from this condition. I hope that there will someday be a cure for this.
Did u take all the pills at one time or through out the day?
So very glad I found this!  First time this has happened to me, F/60/Midwest.  I've got all of your symptoms, and thought I was losing my mind.  Definitely may be on the way, if the Vitamin D, and Folic Acid doesn't help.  I've been consumed with this for a week; my legs are bruised and streaked with broken capillaries from itching so hard.  I've been to the doctor twice, and walk in Urgent Care.  I'm praying this works for me.  I can see why someone would think about suicide.  The itch is relentless, and nothing really stops it, you just get a temporary relief.  I'll post in a few days to let others know if anything has changed.
Day two of Vitamin D 4000Un per day.  Call me Psycho, but I feel relief.  -I'm wondering how your itching is?  Are you still getting relief?  I'm planning on continuing the Vitamin D, and add Folic Acid.  I actually was able to sleep a full 6 hours, and it has been about 28 hours since I had my last episode.  By episode, I mean the hot water/shower and scratching til I bleed.  I have found that a lotion for Eczema with Coloidal Oatmeal helps, also.  How are you doing?  I'll spare you descriptions of scratching/feeling hopeless on relief.
OMG that's wonderful I hope to get relief as well very soon. This horrible attack does come and go. I will start back on my vitamins. Thank you
YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!!  I often do research on different chemicals in our food and follow all kinds of theories, but when it comes to this....SLS Sulfate Lauryl Sodium...All I found was BAD BAD stuff connected to this ingredient.  Proven to be a carcinogen, and you are totally right!  HORRIBLE that it is in everything that smells good...even in some of the so called NATURAL shampoos, deodorants, toothpaste, lotions, oils...YOU NAME IT!  INCLUDING your food!  I have been itching for months now, and thought I had some kind of environmental allergy.  I do believe it was all the SLS I was dumping on and in myself for years!!!!  The body will tell you when there is something wrong, you MUST listen to it!!!  Thank you Chadhoward for making this known on here, and keep spreading the news about this!  KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!  If we stop buying it, they will eventually STOP selling it!!!  
I get some relief from SARNA cream, its otc but costly, its temporary, at least I get some sleep. Try that till we figure this out, NEXT PERSON THAT TELLS ME TO STOP SCRATCHING OR NOT TO USE HOT WATER IS GETTING WACKED!  
Thank you so so much for sharing this "AlbanianGirl.".

I had itchy lower legs for almost 2months.I was massaging my legs with organic coconut oil with some camphor added in it. It gave me temporary relieve. Almost for 2-3 hours and again my legs starts itching so bad that I would itch myself until I bleed.

I read your post and started taking vitamin supplement(10,000iu) with 2 regular multivitamin.I saw the difference after 1 day itself (I changed vitamin D dosage and prenatal vitamin with regular multivitamin) for 5 days and now I have reduced dosage to 1 multi vitamin and 5,000iu vitamin D. I still feel itchy sometime like when I wake up in morning I feel my legs dry after 1 hr so
I massage with camphor added coconut oil but itching is not that bad. I can control myself from itching.

So now I am planning to reduce vitamin D supplement dosage and continue using coconut oil (May be after some days without adding camphor).

I tried neem oil some months ago when I got hives type of rashes all over my body. It worked as charm and those rashes got cured. But after few months of it I got itchy legs issue. I am not sure if they are related but wanted to share if in cash any one can get relieve using these methods.

Thanks again AlbanianGirl. I cannot thanks you enough. I was almost depressed and was not sure how would I get rid of this problem.  

Camphor :

https://www.amazon.com/Camphor-Tablets-Premium-Quality-Alcamphor/dp/B006T6O3UC/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1502992340&sr=1-4&keywords=camphor

Neem oil:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5DNGF4/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp_3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3171424582&pd_rd_wg=sTDEk&pf_rd_r=RTKKM8941XMY43GHBRB1&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B01IUAS92C&pd_rd_w=4hTSr&pf_rd_i=neem%2Boil&pd_rd_r=1F96MT9FEAHJ7RWTXYE0&ie=UTF8&qid=1502992258&sr=3&th=1
I have had the itching in my legs for over 50 years and believe me I have tried a lot of things.  There is no commonality to when the itching hits me, it just does.  Sometimes it is only for a few hours and sometimes is it for weeks at a time.  I DO NOT SCRATCH, so do not think that scratching makes or does not makes a difference.  Scratching does not help me because I am not convinced it is exterior in nature.  I have tried all sorts of topical creams and home remedies to no avail.  BUT I will try the Vitamin D/Folic acid solution as it seems the most viable.  Thank you so much for the recommendation.