Severe Itching
Hi. I am a woman, 49, having problems with severe itching over the whole body. I eat healthy food, excercise, have a good job and social life. The itching started four months ago. Just like that. Sometimes it comes on my back, the front of my legs, my shoulders, lower part of my stomach (never face, feet, hands or head). It can be anywhere. When I start scratching it of course gets much worse. There are no signs on the skin when the itching starts. But I have been scratching so much (especially in the night) that the skin sometimes start bleeding. When scratiching a lot the skin gets red with tiny small round  marks. Went to a couple of doctors who gave me different diagnoses. The last guess was chronic urtikaria. That doctor did take some tests to exclude liver/kdiney problems.I  have been given antihistamines. But the problem still exists. It improved just before summer holiday and then it came back. I have of course tried to change washing powder, stopped using soap when showering etc. My question is, do you think it is some kind of chronic urtikaria or? How long does it normally take to get rid off it? How long can I continue taking the antihistamines? Can I mix different kinds? Are there any other medicine? My whole life is affected by this itching (I sleep with cotton gloves to make sure I don't scratch too much etc).  Really appreciate an answer.   : )
I am having a problem simular,  I itch on my arms and back have been for 16+years  I have been to dr after dr. noting I use cool arthritis cream, Biofreeze, anything to cool the skin.  I do not have to be hot for this itching to occur, Mostly at night but not always. I have tried many creams, loations and pills nothing helps.  Unisom to help me sleep at night.  I itch so bad sometimes I cry and scratch the blood.  I don't know what else to do. I will see a new Dr. in a few weeks to see if any help from them.
Sorry no help  but it is horrible to itch this bad.
Itchy skin that isn't accompanied by other obvious skin changes, such as a rash, is most often caused by dry skin (xerosis). Other conditions cause itchy skin as well. Skin conditions like psoriasis, dermatitis,lice, scabies and hives, internal diseases like liver and kidney disorders, diabetes, iron deficiency anemia, irritation and allergic reactions to chemicals,wool,soaps,cosmetics and certain foods  can cause itchy skin.

You can apply an anti-itch cream or lotion to the affected area. Oral antihistamine, such as Benadryl can also be used. You should take a comfortably cool bath and wear smooth-textured cotton clothing. You should choose mild soaps without dyes or perfumes and use a mild, unscented laundry detergent when washing clothes, towels and bedding.

Please take a second opinion from a dermatologist if the symptoms persist. Hope it helps. Take care and regards.