Severe Keratosis Pilaris

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Severe Keratosis Pilaris

I am a 19 year old african american female. And I have the worst case of KP, The dark brown dots I have in my legs are large and when i pick at them 2 or 3 hairs are sometime underneath. I also have really scaly skin, my legs look like an old lady's. Throughout the years my condition became worse and it spread to my arms :(. Now  I can not wear anything that shows my legs or upper arms. I have not worn a dress skirt shorts or even capris since I was 8 years old. I want to go to a dermatologist, but I am too embarrass to show them my legs and arms because they really look disgusting.
Does anyone know of any product that can help get rid of KP forever. One that I can find at a rite aid walmart or walgreens or any other local market. I cant order things from the net because I dont have a credit card or a banking account.
I really need help I am going through depression and keep thinking about cutting off my limbs or committing suicide.
I have not been out the house since late april.
Keratosis pilaris occurs when the human body produces excess keratin, a natural protein in the skin. There is currently no known cure for keratosis pilaris, however, there are effective treatments available which make its symptoms less apparent. Treatment includes tretinoin or Triamcinolone cream or Adapalene, a retinoid medication. Exfoliation, intensive moisturizing creams, creams and lotions containing alpha hydroxy acids and urea may be used to temporarily improve the appearance and texture of affected skin.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you dr Bhupinder Kaur I think i will go and get the medication tommorow, Do I need a prescription to get these creams and lotions?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
These medicines are not available over the counter and a prescription is needed. Moreover medicines like Triamcinolone which is a highly potent steroid is not without side effects and need to be taken only after consulting a doctor as the dose may need to be tapered off.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

I have some red bumps on my thighs and they get worse after i shave. If i squeeze some of them white stuff comes out and i ave been told that they are pimples but i get a lot only around my thighs . What is it and how can i treat this ?