Severe bug bites or something worse?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Severe bug bites or something worse?

I just visited my boyfriend in Turkey. The first day or so after I got there, I had a couple itchy bumps that were like mosquito bites. I had a larger on my buttocks. I didn't scratch them but the one on my bum got worse and itched more. It turned red and got a little scab on it...soon it became a bigger, darker scab and it oozed pus. It also hurt to sit down (rubbed against my pants, underwear etc).

It has now doubled in size and is a big black scab that hurts when I touch it. I cleaned it with alcohol and put a herbal anti-septic cream on it last night (the pus and pain seem to have stopped). However, I now have two smaller bumps that are starting to scab and I think a few more bumps on my bum. Could it be bed bugs or something else? My boyfriend hasn't had any issues so I am not sure...any advice would be appreciated!
One of the possibilities for such sores is of boils. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus. Hair follicles that are blocked by greasy creams, petroleum jelly, or similar products are more vulnerable to infection. Bacterial skin infections can be spread by shared cosmetics or washcloths, close human contact, or by contact with pus from a boil or carbuncle. Treatment includes antibiotics and do not touch or pick them up. You can however apply topical antibiotic creams like Neosporin or Bcatroban.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you for your reply. The original scab is now quite large and the size of a quarter and flat and the number of smaller scabs/sores has increased significantly and appear to be slowly spreading outwards and down my legs. I put an antibiotic cream on it today and the itchiness has increased. I will see a dermatologist tomorrow so hopefully he will have an idea of what it is.