Dermatology Expert Forum
Severe itching on palms and soles

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Severe itching on palms and soles

I've had severe itching on my palms and soles for quite some time now. It leaves blackish marks on the thick skin of the palms and soles. Sometimes it also spreads to other areas of the body, especially the back and the limbs.

Recently my doctor gave me some steroids, I think it's called Prednisolone, the dosage of which was to be tapered off. It was very effective but as the dosage was reduced, the problem cropped up again.
KA:

I have many itchy patients, but I've never encountered someone who only itched on the palms and soles.  Prednisolone suppresses inflammation, but only while you use it.

I know of skin diseases which affect the palms and soles, like psoriasis or certain forms of eczema, but I don't know of conditions which produce just itch without a rash just there.

I think a more precise diagnosis might be in order.  Are you under unusual stress?

Good luck.

Dr. R
Comment  The question: "Are you under unusual stress" is a good one. I have the type of itching expressed here. It often starts with my hands and feet. Then slowly moves up arms & legs, to stomach and back, then to shoulders, head, ears, etc. etc. etc. Took tons of prednisone , indocin, antihistamines, etc, etc, etc over the years. One Dr. accused me of "falling apart" whenever he was out of town. (Doctor dependency causing all this???)  Guess what, Elavil fixed it after other non-helpful treatments for 10 years. Then, years later, Paxil fixed it again. Then, after taking Paxil for a couple of years, I started this again. I felt it was a side effect of Paxil. (How soon we forget!) But instead, Paxil was just no longer effective. Finally, it is once again beginning to be controlled with Serzone. My other disgusting symptoms along with this were lips that would swell, eyes that would swell, feet that would swell, pain in my fingernails and toenails. Pain in my urethra. Pain in my stomach. Then huge hives moved in for months to years at a time. Insomnia, anxiety, depression. All this began in 1981. Years of severe suffering and sadness, trial and error. Doctors would say "this makes no sense." I was told it was a Tylenol allergy, then an aspirin allergy. Then I was told I was "allergic to everything." Then it was diagnosed as a reaction to antihistamines. Then ibuprogen allergy. Then I got the diagnosis of Lupas, because I would have high inflammation. It is almost under control again. Stress/depression can be a killer. Thanks for your wonderful site!
A related discussion, itchy palms and soles was started.
A related discussion, severe sole and palm itching was started.