Severe itchy dry scalp...could I have a fungus?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I am a woman of color and have been dealing with severe dry, itchy scalp for a while now.  I have been trying to treat my hair with medicated hair oils and dandruff shampoos, to no avail.  I went to the salon and the stylist said that when she shampooed my hair she noticed that I had several sores and what seemed like cuts (I figured that must be from scratching).  Also, around the hairline, near each temple, there are dry patchy spots that that look like ringworm by the shape of it.  When I treat with Sulfar8 or something like it, it goes away, but sure to return in about a week or two of not using the oil.  Could I have some type of fungus?  I am diabetic and on insulin and pills to control it.  Could my medication be the cause of the itchy dry scalp?  I want to continue letting professionals care for my hair, but they said they will have to turn me away if I don't get my scalp issue under control, sanitation reasons.  Any suggestions?
From the symptoms tinea capitis of fungal infection needs to be ruled out. It is contagious and can spread direct contact with someone who has the condition, or if you touch contaminated items such as combs, hats, clothing, or similar surfaces. Diagnosis is by clinical examination of the scalp as well as a skin lesion biopsy with microscopic examination. Anti-fungal medications, taken by mouth, are used to treat the infection.

It is important to keep the area clean. A medicated shampoo, such as one containing selenium sulfide like selsen may also help.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.