Severe itchy rash - what is it? Help, Please!!!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Three months ago I developed an itchy rash on the back of my neck.  After two months I went to the dermotologist  and he said it is lichen simplex chronicus.  A week later the rash jumped to my elbows,hips and knees.  Went back to him and he first said eczema and then changed to scabies (no scrapings taken).  I then went to my PCP and she said scabies and sent me to a different dermo so they could take a scaping to confrim it.  That doctor didn't take a scraping but wants me to go back next week for a biopsy.  Meanwhile the itch is intolerable.

I now have a slightly crusty, extremely itchy rash on my elbow, hips, knees, lower 2/3's of my back, shoulders front and back, sides of torso, front of thighs, neck, and is now starting to go to the armpits.  I do not have it in any of the usual scabies spots such as hands, wrists, feet, waist, breast.  The only matching spots are elbows and it is just now going towards my armpits.  Nor have I have any physical contact with anyone.  Unless one can catch it from a grocery cart I am at a loss as to how I could get scabies.  I have given myself two treatments of permithrin but it hasn't helped.  Some spots are clearing after two months but there are continued new breakouts.

The rash is bilaterally symmetic, when the skin isn't itching it feels prickly.  Before the rash breaks out in any spot, that spot will burn.  When it itches it is almost unbearable.  Any ideas what this could be?
For such symptoms, contact dermatitis,  eczema and psoriasis should be ruled out. Psoriasis is a long-term (chronic) skin problem that causes skin cells to grow too quickly, resulting in thick, white, silvery, or red patches of skin.It is thought that psoriasis occurs when the immune system overreacts, causing inflammation and flaking of skin.
I suggest you to get the diagnosis confirmed from a dermatologist after examination.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.