Dermatology Expert Forum
Severe scalp problems! Please help me!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Severe scalp problems! Please help me!

Dear Dr.,
I have a serious problem! My scalp burns like fire. I itch from head to toe as well. My skin is very sensitive to everything. I am so miserable. I feel like coming out of my skin sometimes. Normally, we use Mountain Spring Tide with bleach detergent. My husband brought home just regular Mountain Spring Tide. No bleach. I was also using a shampoo for color treated hair. I have been bleaching my hair for many years now and have never had a problem until now. Could I just now be developing an allergy to these products?
Even when I was a child I always had sensitive skin. My 2 year old daughter is already showing signs of allergies.
What is causing the burning on my scalp and my itching? I am trying not to scratch at my head because it only makes it worse. My medical history isn't bad. Just severe allergies since I was a kid and I do suffer from panic disorder but do not need or take meds for it. I have buldging discs in my neck at c4-c6 though but I don't think that would be causing it.
Please point me in the right directions and what products can I get OTC that might help.
Thanks so much!
Brooke:

In my experience, severe burning of the scalp is not a sign of allergy.  Scalp allergies are rare, and appear as swelling and oozing of the whole scalp, something you could never miss.

Instead, this is usually a sign of stress, a process which feeds on itself.  In other words, the more you think about how much your scalp is burning, the more it burns (and the more the sensation "spreads" to other parts of the body, as it seems to be doing with you.)

My advice is to see a dermatologist to rule out allergy or other skin condition for certain.  Once that is taken care of, you may be reassured enough to have the symptom fade away.  If not, you should consider counseling to deal with possible stresses in your life.  Changing products is very unlikely to help, and may be frustrating and counterproductive.

Good luck.

Dr. R
The product I was using on my hair is ISOcolor shampoo for color treated hair. It lists Solarseal-3 combination of sunscreens and antioxidants and a sun activated polymer to keep the color from fading.
Yesterday I used a different shampoo-Aussie Mega shampoo and had a slight decrease in the scalp burning sensation.
Sorry I did not think to add this to my question when I posted.
when you find out please let me know...am going thru the same thing as we speak.  night time is worse for me and i also feel as though i am crawling out of my skin.....thanks for the help

i use iso shampoo too!!! but not the color treated one and my email address is ***@****
Dear Doctor,

I have a severe itching and burning sensation in my scalp.Also because of this I have severe hair loss.Infact I cannot even use shampoo because of the burning sensation. Also I have a feeling that my entire body burns & I get depressed.

Also my soles have burning sensation. I have lot of gas generation.During nighttime the itching is more.

Please give me some remedy so that I can get rid of the problems. I don't drink alcohol

Bye
DEAR DR. I AM HAVING A PROBLEM THAT STARTED WITH A ITCHY SCALP,I AM GOING CRAZY WITH IT. MY HUSBAND HAS CHECKED MY HAIR FOR ANY SIGN OF LICE OR DANDRUFF, BUT EVERYTHING LOOKS CLEAN NOTHING WHITE OR CLINGING, BUT HE SAYS I HAVE SOME TINY RED SPOTS. ALSO THIS PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE SPREADING TO OTHER PARTS OF MY BODY,LIKE MY BUTTOCKS.MY QUESTION IS THIS:IF I DID CONTACT LICE, IS THIS SOMETHING YOU CAN SEE WITH YOUR EYES? WHAT ARE THE SIGNS OF BODY LICE OR HEAD LICE? I HAVE TRIED SO MANY THINGS TO STOP THE ITCHING,BUT NOTHING SEEMS TO HELP ME. IT ALSO SEEMS TO GET WORSE WHEN I GET IN TO MY CAR.I AM WONDERING IF I DIDN'T CATCH SOMETHING FROM ONE OF OUR FARM HANDS WHO RIDES IN OUR TRUCK?ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.THANK YOU. CF

I just got on the internet to look up scalp allergy's and found this site.  I have had an itchy/burning scalp off and on for about 1 month.  I went to the store and bought some "Scalpicin" which has helped alot.  I am going to make an appointment with a demologist hopefully for next week.  I have little bumps on my scalp too.  I notice that when I am in direct sunlight, it gets worse.  Also the top center (part line)of my scalp it more sensitive than anywhere else.  I will post again when I find out more information.  good luck all and post your results too!
HELLO I TOO AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH A REAL ITCHY SCALP IT FEELS LIKE SOMETHING ON MY HEAD BUT THEREAS NOTHING IT JUST DRIVES ME CRAZY AND IF I START SWEATING ON MY HEAD IT REALLY STARTS ITCHING IS THERE ANY HOME REMEDY THING THAT A PERSON CAN USE TO STOP THE ITCHING PLEASE HELP.
A related discussion, scalp was started.
A related discussion, Scalp help was started.
A related discussion, itching scapp was started.