Severe thickening and cracking of skin on hands and feet

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I have severe thickening and cracking of skin on hands and now on my feet. This started in July of '09. I have worked construction my whole life and is really becoming a major problem. I have seen 6 dermatologists and NONE can explain what is wrong with me. Everything that has been prescribed does not work. One Dr. said that this is frictional dermatitis and prescribed Urea in 50 % emulsion with 6 % salicilic acid and does nothing. Another Dr. told me take a Dremel tool and grind down thick skin. My hands tighten up and become really dry. I have stopped drinking alcohol and started drinking ion water and only eat bland foods. I do not know if im allergic to anything since my family history has none. It is now on both hands and AND my feet. Can you help me? I will upload photo if I need to.

From your symptoms eczema needs to be ruled out. Eczema is a form of chronic dermatitis (rash).Allergic reaction is one of the important causes of eczema. Allergic reaction can occur to strong soaps, Solvents, chemicals, certain foods, food additives, plants, metals, cosmetics, even urine and faeces of some animals (dust mites).

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid which is available under prescription. Also use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

That sounds like my feet - they build up callus and are dry, cracking, etc. Sometimes they sort of bubble up and I can peel the skin away. No one seems to know what it is. I've had this for as long as I can remember, and it's never spread anywhere though. Have you found anything?