Severely itchy legs (at night) driving me crazy
My legs have been itching so badly, but there is no persistent rash in any spot! Over the last two-three weeks I have had the strangest most excruciating itching at night time It usually gets worse once I fall asleep. If I don't self control, I would probably draw blood accidentally scratching too hard. Every now and then during the day, there is a slight burning on the legs in various areas but it's so subtle and doesn't itch so badly that I want to scratch at all. It just lingers. At night is when its like a switch is flipped.

I don't think it's dust mites because my boyfriend sleeps right next to me and hasn't been itchy at all. However, I did sanitize wash my sheets just in case. I plan to buy new pillows, too.

It's so weird because just looking at the skin there are no marks whatsoever, but it just itches atrociously. I start to scratch and it gets worse. It's like my legs are on fire! Then they get red and with slight little tiny red dots and few tiny bumps. Once I stop itching (and sometimes cool with water) within ten minutes the redness/bumps goes away and you'd never be able to tell there was a problem! The other day I did leave a little bruise though. Now I just try to NOT let myself scratch no matter what, but it's very difficult. I end up touching or rubbing the areas slightly.

The itchy areas change from night to night. One night the itch was symmetrical on both of my thighs right above my knees and on the sides of my knees. Another night it was my lower left calf and last night it was the back of my right thigh. There is so much radiating pain there when it itches!! It's really perplexing to me. I'm such a healthy person, no sugars, processed foods; I eat fruits and veggies, take whole food vitamins, omegas, fruit/veg juicing everyday, etc.

Does this itching sound like an allergic reaction of sorts???

I've tried to think of WHAT has changed in my routine that could be the cause. Well, I came up with only two things that have changed in my routine. Either could be the culprit.

1. About a month ago I bought this organic shea hibiscus coconut shower gel. I've shaved with it about 5 times, I think. I think I might be allergic to something in it and it's gotten into my hair follicles. ?? I have discontinued the product. My last shave with it was 3 days ago.

2. Also about a month ago, I started an herbal supplement called Bacopa Monnerei. It's for increasing mental clarity/sharpness and memory. (It works, amazingly so I hope it's not the problem!). After a few days on it, I noticed an odd itching on the side of my left breast and into my underarm. The itching was very subtle, not intense, and lasted a couple days. - But you know what I just realized, this was around the time I started using that shower gel, too (I used it to shave my underarms).

I've discontinued both the herbal supplement and the shower gel. I really hope this crazy itching clears up. It's driving me crazy at night, it hurts so bad.

Thoughts anyone?? I'm going nuts!

I have tried everything..antibiotics to oil of oregano to lye soaps  scrub brushes  hot water cold water ..alcohol hydrogen peroxide olive oils coconut oil vinegar and a dozen other  'cures' and this was one is so simple ..the listed "cures" above lasted for 24 hours and some 2 days.....and than it would start up again...i scratched and itches until i was a bloody mess...went on for months.and always at night..as soon as i went t bed  it would start...night after night.......sleepless nights until I would past out......finally i got so mad  and tryed something I have done with my animals.I powered them with Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth..and slept all night....that next day i rubbed again with Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth ...I rubbed it in good  and that was a month ago..no more itch.no more problems with any itch...and cost me maybe almost nothing ... anyone can get Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth on line or at some farm stores or pet care centres .this stuff works great for dogs cats and my itchy legs and its an instant insecticide for ants cockroaches bed bugs crabs head lice body lice  and I have been eating it for years ....
Ever wonder why birds take dust baths?  same reason why this stuff works.......
I powdered my dogs with this and can watch the fleas and ticks fall off..and its NOT poisonous its NOT harmful to earthworms ...but wastes ants and plant aphids you can see the aphids fall off the roses  turns away slugs i don't know what it will do to scorpions  or centipedes....... and i eat  about a table spoon a week
Dear All,
            I used to have the same problem.used to drive me mad.Apart from this I also suffer from ezcema and melasma (both were always somwhat mild tho).I used to apply mouthwash,toothpaste and what  not ,for relief.but it was all temporary.Giving up gluten helped ezcema and reduced melasma by 75%,but there were nights where i'd wake up and keep on itching.My mother had some old books in Hindi and in one of those books i found a remedy which suited me very well.I apply neem    ( Azardirchta indica) oil almost twice a week before going to sleep.its greasy yes. but i dont mind.I havent scratched in months.The method of making this oil is simple .collect lots (2-3 kg) of neem leaves.wash them thorougly.after they dry a bit ,mix and boil in about a litre of cooking,corn.olive oil (any  one) for 1-1.5 hrs at very low heat.may take 2 hrs also.Boil till leaves become dry and dark and start crackling(as in deep fried).filter,cool and store.stays for 2-3 years.its even better if you bruise the leaves a little BEFORE boiling.For my brothers and sisters inthe west,where neem may not be available, i can send you this oil for a small charge(cost of oil,gas,mailing) only.not for profit.should not be more than 1-2 dollars for the oil( 1 kilogram),50 cents for packaging, 4-5 dollars for mailing).no charge for collection and effort involved.alternatively,if you have any friend,relative visiting India, I can mail for a even lesser price. Do email me at dataiotics@ yahoo com.  PS-- i have tried corticosteroids,halobetasol ,mometasone and most of the commonly available otc and prescribed drugs with no avail.This really suits me.I pray that you may also get relief.The only request is that if you benefit from this.--pls pls  pass on the good deed.do something for someone you  dont know personally .makes the world a beautiful place methinks....
I have been reading and trying things from this forum for literally two years. I also have been to numerous dermatologists and nothing really helped for any extended period of time.  A friend of mine, who is a doctor, introduced me to a product that worked after about 3 weeks… and my legs have not itched since. It literally was a miracle and I will take it forever! Please please reach out to me via ***@**** if you want more info!
I used to have itchiness like yours but i discovered it immediately when one time i forgot  to drink coffee that day because i and my friends were out early for a hitch hike to see the early sun in mt. fuji. for two successive days, i was wondering why i wasnt attacked by itchiness. i stopped drinking coffee and strong teas and im now drinking hot chamomile tea instead..to relax my stomach after i wake up in the morning and right before i go to bed..
I am experiencing something similar. My legs start itching as soon as I put my feet up at night.  Itching caused red bumps.  Bumps are usually gone by morning.  I thought It may have been bed bugs, however, my husband hasn't had an issue.  My son often sleeps with us , he hasn't had an issue.  Last night however, my daughter woke at about midnight with a few welts on her belly which looked like mosquito bites.  and a few on the inner part of her legs.  Do fleas only bite at night?  I don't know what this is, but it's gone by morning.  ( I am also 6 months pregnant, so thought it could have been hormonal at first because its not every night, and is only on my legs) I really hope my daughters wasn't related to mine.  Any takers?
I use neem oil in my hair but I don't prepare it myself.  I'm wondering if I need to mix what I have with a carrier oil, because what I have is very thick.  I also have been pills.  I'm definitely going to try this remedy.  My itching just started about 2 weeks ago and is getting progressively worse.  I have eczema and am on a gluten and casein protein (milk/curds and whey ) free diet.  

For me taking hot showers is the worse thing I can do as it strips away the natural oils and my makes my skin itchy dry.  So the itch on my legs is not the same as the eczema itch.  I have heard that neem oil is great for you skin.  I don't know if fresh neem oil smells like what I have, but I will learn to use it strategically if it offers true relief.  I was awakened at 2:30am and have been up for 3 hours from the itching!!!
What is the product??!
I've had itchy legs without redness/bumps/rash/etc since March 2014.
Cannot figure out what it is; NOT dry skin though.  Affects my inner thighs the worst...I have skin colored bumps from scratching so much, my shins, and  backs of my knees.  Itching is so intense but nothing seeems to be the cause that I can find.  I don't want to waste money at the dermatologist (no insurance) since everyone seems to say going to one didn't help at all.
I've determined it has something to do with shaving...since the itching only occurs on areas that I shave (except underarms).  What can it be?  I can't even put on jeans without going crazy with itching!!!
If you want a name for the condition look up "aquagenic pruritus".
Itchy legs. Scratching and high pressured hot water from a hand held showerhead can feel borderline orgasmic. I'm up at 5am scratching and stretching. Stretching and massaging helps. I'm beginning to think its soreness and swelling from walking around all day at work. I had suspected my socks but not so sure about that anymore.
Solved my problem with a humidifier. No scratching since and my wounds are healing nicely.  Seems it is too dry in my apartment.
I discovered that it's tight clothing that causes my itchy legs. I'm not allergic to elastic, but if I wear tight lycra-style underwear or socks with an elasticated trim I get terrible itchy legs, mainly at night (after the underwear is removed). My doctor said it's quite common and is due to the decreased circulation in the leg area that comes from wearing elasticated clothes.

I switched to baggy 'skater' style girl boxers and non-elasticated socks and the problem has gone.

Sometimes if I wear a jumper with elasticated wrists, and roll it up so it's tight around my arms, I get itchy wrists and elbows - same problem!

I had horrible itching for 5 months. I had a little bit of a rash on my stomach and chest that would come and go - then it spread to my thighs. I went to my primary doctor and to the dermatologist. I was given a cream with an anti-itch and corticosteroid that helped, but never got rid of it. I was misdiagnosed over and over. One dermatologist told me that I must just have an "itching disease". After 3 or 4 months, someone else in my family started itching, but had much bigger bumps, so we both went to a new dermatologist. His rash was textbook scabies, so the doctor said they didn't need to check me since they had to treat the whole family anyways. I was so careful to follow the instructions for the cream and washed bedding in hot water over and over. I shrunk clothes drying them on high heat, and my rash got better, but the itching never completely went away. I went back, and the dermatologist did a scraping and discovered I still had scabies. We all did the treatment again, and I took the pill form of treatment, too. I finally got rid of the scabies!!! From the start of the rash until I finally got rid of it was 8 months!! So be sure to have them check for scabies - and by the way, scabies itches worse at night!
l am also have same itching problem in my both hands and legs and sometimes on my neck with small bumps in each hair roots.  not every where.  its is just like patchy patchy type. i hv consulted docters, skin specialist and dermatoligists.  all of them have same opnion that sun allergey.  only 5 to 10 mts max i expse to sun that also with umbrella.  still i don't know.  but no cure on any medicines.  now I totally vegetarian now .  iam having homeo treatment, let me try.  just had one doze.
Is there any suggestion?
Have found a cure for my itchy legs. I've suffered for years but found a cure quite accidently. I was operated on for colon cancer, was cured but the doctor had me on Chemo Therapy just to make sure. During the treatment phase I was hydrated heavily for some time. I was eventually able to hydrate on my own. I now take 60 ounces of fluid a day and have not had an episode of itchy legs since. EXCEPT when once or twice I didn't hydrate properly and it all came back with a vengence. I learned not to fall off the fluid wagon-- ever.  I know it's difficult to keep up proper fluid levels when working or traveling but just do it somehow. To be exact my itchy leg sindrome was not from dermatitis, it was a much deeper cause that induced intense scratching, just at night. I know that my cure helped me, and I hope it will help someone else, besides I also learned that proper hydration helps many other ills that beset us all. It"s simple cure, but a pain in the neck as well. Good Luck
Hi everyone. I do believe I have the answer to MANY WHO ARE DESPERATE.

For a couple of years, I had what started out as rashes on both shins that would get particularly itchy at night. Eventually it spread to both arms, some on my stomach, thighs. It seemed to get worse at night. By that point, I got pretty desperate. Tried to keep a food log, changed my sheets, shampoos, lotions, tried every itch relieving cream (somehow I knew treating it externally is only temporary)... everything.

FINALLY I prayed and asked the Lord for wisdom because I looked and felt horrible. He is so good and answered. I am totally healed now. :)

Please google "LEAKY GUT SYNDROME." It sounds funny, but read the explanation-- especially if you have sudden mysterious multiple "food allergies." Basically when your gut wall is compromised, food particles escape directly into your blood stream. Your immune system then targets these, but in the process also attacks healthy cells-- eg, skin. Hence multiple rashes. My boyfriend could not believe I had become allergic to pretty much everything I was eating. But this explains it.

Leaky Gut is the root of many auto-immune issues, so it is important to target it early... especially at the rash stage.

What helped me: I did an 8 day water fast. I won't lie, it's pretty hard and miserable, but if you are desperate, you're desperate. :) I prayed during that time, and God gave me strength to do it.

By day 3, my skin rashes had pretty much all cleared up. So maybe 3 days would work too... it's good for your body because it gives your digestive system time to rest and that energy is used to instead detox your body.

I then cut out the things they say irritate your gut (surprisingly "healthy" things-- as I am a healthy eater, I didn't realize what I was doing. Whole grains, gluten, legumes)

Then 2 things that I believe really helped repair my gut: (google them)
1. bone broth
2. homemade kefir
3. Bragg's Raw Apple Cider vinegar

The bone broth provides collagen to repair your gut wall. Kefir has more probiotics than yogurt or probiotic pills-- and it supplies not only good bacteria but the kind that colonizes your gut. The raw apple cider vinegar (with "the mother") kills bad bacteria as well.

2 months later, I have not had any more rashes!!! I am now adding back into my diet most things I cut out. I still continue to drink a little apple cider vinegar and kefir everyday, and bone broth once in a while.

I really pray this helps anyone who took the time to read it. I understand how frustrating it can be to have rashes from unknown causes. I cried so many times and felt so ugly. But God is good and He is a healer!! :) And don't forget to thank Him when you're all better.
Hi Nina, I have Lupus too.  My itchiness is driving me crazy, now most nights and takes about 3 hours before I can sleep, after taking sleeping pills, benadryl, pain killers, nerve pain tablets.  Really don't know what to do and it is normally evening time and when I am going to bed.  If I get hot the itch is worse and I have a cold fan on me, also use a dehumidifier to see if it is the air.  I saw a Dermatologist who said I am in the group who can't tolerate water and don't sweat properly, he gave me cream but I can't say it works as I still have to wait hours, probably for all the tabs to work.  My GP is not helpful and tried to say it was nothing to do with Lupus but lots of Lupus sufferers have this problem as do other people with immune system disorders.
I have suffered this problem on and off for years.  No rash, no bumps just ultra crazy itching which makes me so crazy I take of a layer of skin scratching so bad.   I find that an instant cure is ice cubes, I rub it over my calves or ankle (whichever is playing up at the time) and it stops pretty much straight away.  I dont know what the triggers are, Dr reckons skin is to dry.  But even when my skin isnt dry it happens.  Seems to be exacerbated when my ankle or leg gets to0 warm.  i.e. Socks to hot or bed to warm at night.
Yikes.

To sum it up, get medical attention while leaning on the crutches of Benadryl, humidifiers, Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion, Gold Bond Intensive Relief Medicated Anti-Itch.

Check for scabies if rash is present, maybe hormonal / internal if no visual appearance until after you scratch.

...don't go overboard with food supply chain worries and special snowflake hidden allergies. Seek second opinions and report back, don't expect 1-shot curing.
You have veins on the inside of your legs where the valves or flaps that close them off have stopped working.  You should see an endovenous radiologist for a sonogram of your legs. When severe, it results in itching of the area.  I am on Medicare and they paid for my procedures.  Similar to varicose veins though you are unable to see them.  For me, after testing, blood stayed in my veins 3.5 seconds longer than normal and it was pumping the wrong direction.  When the valves that close off the vein after it pumps back to the heart stops working, the blood reverses directions and pools in the legs causing heaviness and itching.  A simple EVT procedure will alleviate this and help tremendously with RLS - restless legs.
when the itch starts go to the freezer and take frozen corn, peas ( these are best because the pack can be wrapped round a larger area) or anything frozen and apply to the itchy area.   its not a cure for the problem but the relief is wonderful and usually stops the itch for hours.  
Hi, I am suffering with itching.. Actually I am Indian normally I travel other country's for  project work, initially  around 25-30 days I don't face this problem after five days my Legs are start to itch from Knee to Bumps but there is no rashes on skin but itching area is becoming a little reddish I am not getting Y I am facing this problem but only in Other country's like Europe, USA, I don't face this problem in India can some one suggest me Please.    
Seborrheic dermatitis.
This is what i did i used a anti yeast cream on my legs for two weeks and goldbond cream in the am.  After two weeks i stoped the yeast cream and stared betamethasone dipropionate cream for one week and goldbond cream in the am  each day.  Then i stopped the cortisoid cream and only use the gold bond. Low and begold itching has gone away. Hope this helps!!
I had a terrible rash that started in January I went to three doctors and the first one said it was due to hot shower. I just wasted my time with that one. My rash kept getting worse and worse (face only) the dermatologist prescribed Fluocinolone Aceonide Oil. It brought great relief, so much so that I was using it all the time as it brought relief only when it was on. Unfortunately it thinned my skin to dangers level. The doctor forgot to let me know that it thins the skin. But it was my fault as I did use way more than prescribed.  I noticed that stress and caffeine would flare up the rash.  
Anyway, after 10 months of miserable , nonstop itch I went for allergy tests and found out that my blood pressure medication (metropolol) was causing the itch. I have been using this medication for 5 years and never had a problem. Go figure…anyway switched medication and have been itch free for 2 months now.
I hope my experience can be of help.

This is SCABIES.  Itching occurs at night and during showers.  You need Permethrin 5% cream.  Treat whole family.  Wash bedding, clothing, towels etc. in hot water.  Take a hot shower every day.

This is not hormones or "leaky gut syndrome".
I suffered itchy legs for years, usually with the onset of winter. Then a couple years ago I ate a lot of chocolate candy left over from Halloween and the more I ate the itchier my legs got, until it went from my ankles to above my knees. I stopped eating the candy and the itching went away. Then at Christmas time I ate quite a bit of peppermint candies and the itching came back. I had associated the itchiness with the onset of cold weather instead of with consuming a lot of sugar around the same time.Then I realized it was sugar that caused it. I restricted my intake of sugar and suspect many other products besides raw sugar like bread and citrus fruits cause itching. and reading these posts confirm my suspicions.

I also believe the Medical profession is responsible for the onset of some of these abnormalities. Some of the antibiotics that are prescribed may cause changes in the digestive system that bring on these problems. Once a doctor prescribed the antibiotic Ceclor for me and it created a real strong allergic reaction. It took months and months for my digestive system to return to normal, and I believe the reaction to Ceclor may be the cause my itchy allergy
That really does help a lot.  Taking the heat away stops the itching.  It has to be some kind of bacteria .  Epson Salts help and an occasional bleach bath.   It is the same as a swimming pool.   Google it for proportions but it is like half a cup bleach for a full tub.   Do not fill tub with bleach and get in.    Please
I started getting severely itchy legs a couple years ago. Finally I asked my gyn.

I've seen posts on here about soda and artificial sweeteners, etc. I've never been a soda drinker, only drink water and milk.

My gyn told me it's something to do with peri-meonpause. Weird, but nothing seems to alleviate it - and I'm a no-soda, no-processed foods person, no allergies, so it's hard to imagine it's food related. I'm starting to believe my dr., though I didn't want to!
my daughter has itchy legs for 12 years after trying many things we took her off gluten and within 1week the intense itch on her legs went completely away
Have you changed anything related to your clothing? Washing liquid/powder/ fabric softener?

That's what it was for me.

Good luck!
Hi. ***** dont it the itching...believe me I know. With my son and currently my right front leg the whole bottom of it broke out in a rash and itched like crazy. And my foot. About a month after I had my son it went away. My obgyn believe it or it had me get "jock itch" cream as it is safe to use while pregant and benedryl. Hope that helps. :)
Hello! I read your post clearly and I could not believe someone out there has the exact same problem as I do!!! I've suffered this for years and years and years and I have never been able to find out why. I'm kind of in shock that you described to the tee what I go through at night. I even use a hair brush or almost anything I can to scratch my legs when my nails aren't doing the job. The itching has caused me to lose a lot of sleep and also disturbs whomever I might be lying next to, because once I start it's impossible to stop and it spreads like wildfire, all over my legs. I've actually given myself small thin cuts from scratching. I've even tried using rubbing alcohol on a cotton puff on my legs hoping to stop the itching. I've tried mixing anti itch cream with a little lotion and rubbing it all over my legs.
Nothing helps.
I feel so hopeless and feel like if I asked my doctor he'd just look at me weird and tell me he doesn't know.
I'm wondering if it's nerves.. Because as odd as it may sound? I don't think what we go through is a dermatological issue. I've had this problem a little over a decade and obviously during all that time I've changed lotions, oils, soaps, fabrics, clothes, razors, etc. Nothing ever made a difference, good or bad.
I did notice though that it got a smidge worse in the summer. Not sure if it's sweat? or cause I'm wearing shorts everywhere? Body temp? I have no answers for you let alone myself, but when I find out I'll be back here to let you know. Just wanted you to know you're not alone!
My son has the same problem. We don't know why it happens, but when it does I make a mixture of 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 to 2 tbsp Braggs Apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp hot filtered water and about 8 drops of tea tree oil. Shake it up really well and spray it all over the itchy area right after a Luke warm to cool shower. Only pat dry lightly and then spray generously all over...pat or lightly rub mixture into skin to help absorb but do not wipe off. It is a life saver! It works everytime. Try not to itch while the mixture works, it might take a minute, but it doesn't take long at all for it to get rid of the itch. I hope this helps!
This happens to me also.  My doctor told me it is poor circulation in my legs.  
Hot baths / showers can be a problem too, as they strip oils from the skin.
OMG.  I didn't expect to find so many people experiencing this same nightmare.  I am going to look into this sulfate thing.  Sounds like a good place to start. Better than anything a doctors has told me
Contact dermatitis....? Generic answer
I had similar and the answer for me is here:

Google:

"Itchy Skin (Pruritus vs Scabies) / Oil Glands (Sebum) / Allergies"
I am a chronic insomniac anyway and so with this insane itch on my legs (& arms too sometimes) at night, life is hell.  I am struggling to work (not given in yet to time off as feel it will be a slippery slope..).  I suffer with anxiety too and think that it is possibly related.  Does anyone else?
Wow. YES! I literally just typed the same symptoms into Google, which is how I came across this thread!

My symptoms are 1) itchy legs and thighs at night,  2) no visible rash, 3) anxiety - which I've suffered from for years, 4) inability to fall asleep. And then I also occasionally get a little white patch on the tip of my tongue - similar to an inflamed tastebud. But I only get them when I have bad anxiety or haven't slept. WHAT IS WRONG WITH US?!
Could it be restless leg syndrome? I've had the same problem with very itchy legs for years and I think this may be the cause. A friend suggested taking a magnesium supplement. Best to discuss with your GP though.
I've read all of the comments and have the same issue at night. No rash. Just sharp twinges of itching all over my lower legs that keep me up at night. I think I finally figured it out. I noticed that anyone who has had relief has improved their diet in some way. Improving your diet helps us take in less sodium and other toxins that result in fluid retention. For me it's this water retention in my lower legs that causes the nerves to "flare up". As soon as I take a non caffeinated water pill during the day and right before bed, the fluid isn't allowed to build up and start the itching. If the symptoms start during the day, i take my 50mg diuretic pill and within 20-30 min, the symptoms subside. The higher the sodium levels I eat, the greater the itching. I read where someone's symptoms subsided after they started sweating. Makes sense since they are removing excess water. Just a suggestion but it helps me.
I had same type of itch in right lower calf initially a week back  i and little climbed up and then came down on inner ankle bone. I used to scratch hard and some times I stop it when my skin becomes red hot but happens only in night when I am on bed. I used Scabizide lotion for few days but no improvement. I changed to Margo soap no use. I used plenty of moisturizer but helped only temporarily. After bath I used to apply coconut oil.Whenever I feel severe itch I used to apply Sarfaz-N cream. But result is same only temporary relief.It all started when I was on Terrace of a building doing some installation. May be dusty environment may be the cause. Last week I was teaching whole week 8 hrs and used to stand all the time.
Today whole day was cleaning day and I took my lunch only at 4:30pm. Even after that no rest for me and washing cloths. Evening I have cooked for night ate and went to bed. The itch started in half an hour. When I searched internet after severe itch found many causes for itch. One ,of them was Gravity Eczema. I thought this may be the problem since my right leg used to pain sometimes due to blood circulation issue. So I thought I will apply some Thrombophob*-B Gel to improve blood circulation. I found an almost empty tube. I squeezed and got just 3 drops and applied over severely itching areas. Within seconds everything has become normal. It is almost 3 hrs now. Only 3 drops I applied and it is amazing.  I am going to keep this Gel with me all the time..:-)
I also suffer from this every single night, but  my itchiness is not one area of my leg/legs it is every part of my leg from top to bottom, every time I scratch I bleed because the itch does not seem to go away, I also have a lot of eczema on various parts of my body including; my face, scalp, inside of my elbows, back of my knees, behind my ears, my neck and on other parts from time to time which makes it hard enough to sleep with this, I would really like to find a suggestion with you to help me also as I am 16 years old (female) and do not have any way to stop my itching and would highly appreciate help, Thankyou.
Did you ever find out what caused your itching? I'm so desperate to find and answer to this. I'm having the same problem and it's been almost a month now. I went to 3 doctors and all they could tell me is it could be an allergic reaction to something. That long??? Please share your story on how you got rid of it. Thanks.
I've had this issue, it is awful.  I'll start my story this way.  My daughter had an ALCAT blood test done for food allergies and intolerance a year ago.  (Her lymphnodes were swelling from the spraying in the fields)  Then it got worse and worse.  The ALCAT tests showed everything and how severe the intolerances are.  It worked.  We took out the severe and moderate intolerances and minimized the mild ones.  I ended up doing the same ALCAT testing for this itching.  My doctor suggested these tests over a standard food allergy test because it does show levels of intolerances and you can add other things besides food.  It is kind of expensive  (about $350 for 200 foods and environmental, food additives)  completely worth it.  You body changes within a few weeks, almost like a pep in your step. Your doctor has to draw the blood and send the kit in...but I would very much recommend it.  
has the itch on your legs gone away
I have this EXACT issue and typed in google "itchy legs bumps at night" and trying to find some answers. It's so itchy I want to rip my skin off right now. It causes bumps from scratching. It's always at night. It's mainly my thighs but can also be my knees and calves. I have switched detergents and lotions and tried anti itch creams and more. It is driving me nuts and I can't seem to find out why?!? or how to fix it!
I have this itching for years it just starts itching and scratching my upper and lower legs so badly that I can't stop scratching. I have blood test but they couldn't anything and they said it could be food allergic but I know it isn't. It starts and stops after few weeks of itching and scratching but this time it hurts me so bad. I tried everything you name it change my diet, using lotion, change detergent but nothing changes. Please does anyone have an idea what to do? Please share if you have any Thanks.
Is it bad that I have the exact same problem if I'm 13 but don't get the bumps
I know I am late to the party on this thread, but would like to comment.
D7D and many others seem to be describing something that sounds like restless leg syndrome.  I have a severe case of it and one of the major symptoms is having an uncontrollable need to move your legs when trying to be still. It is often described as an itchy, or creepy-crawly feeling in your legs, mainly in the calves. Normally, when walking around or standing up there are no symptoms, but while seated in a long meeting, or at a movie theater, or even just sitting on the couch to watch TV I get that uncontrollable need to move my legs. It is sometimes accompanied by "periodic Limb Movement."  Ask you bed partner if you twitch your legs in a repeatable pattern during the night. It might last for a half hour with your legs moving about once or twice a minute.
Luckily, there are meds for this.  I take Mirapex late in the evening, but before the symptoms show up. I also avoid sugar and excess food in the evening. When It gets bad, I just get up an walk around and wait for the Mirapex to kick in.  Another thing that helps me is getting out of bed and sleeping in a recliner with my heels kind of pushing on the crack between the seat cushion and the foot rest.
BTW, there is a restless leg community on this site.
I hope this helps someone, because I know how bad it can be.
Regards, Lloyd
I have the same problem but all over my legs and it has gotten so bad that I lose sleep. One night I put some pink calamine lotion all over my legs and put a fan on me in my room and I don't think I had any itches that night. I've had this problem for almost a year now and I didn't have it until I stayed at a hotel. I'm only 14 and school starts soon, so I need answers so I can sleep at night.
I apply coconut oil mixed with camphor. itching subsides immediately and doesnt reoccur for several hours
This also happened to me a couple yrs ago. It ended up bein vericose veins..or Venus Insufficiency is the medical term. Even if you don't have the sigature bulging blue veins, this is still what causes the itchy feeling. Definitely try & get to a vein specialist & at least let them evaluate.  I ended up having to get a bunch of my legs veins ablated (disolved) they don't rip veins out like they used. Now it's just taken care of with sone painless injections. Good luck!
I think you may have eczema. I personally have it and I have the same bumps and red marks (sometimes that lead to bleeding) too. Eczema is a condition were your skin is unbearable itchy do to dryness. You should ask your dermatologist about it when it's convenient. Try applying lotions such as eucerin vanicream or Cerave after getting out of the shower to avoid drying up or when it starts to itch. It is also important to try to take more cold showers if you can; it really helps in the long run.