Severely itchy legs (at night) driving me crazy

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

My legs have been itching so badly, but there is no persistent rash in any spot! Over the last two-three weeks I have had the strangest most excruciating itching at night time It usually gets worse once I fall asleep. If I don't self control, I would probably draw blood accidentally scratching too hard. Every now and then during the day, there is a slight burning on the legs in various areas but it's so subtle and doesn't itch so badly that I want to scratch at all. It just lingers. At night is when its like a switch is flipped.

I don't think it's dust mites because my boyfriend sleeps right next to me and hasn't been itchy at all. However, I did sanitize wash my sheets just in case. I plan to buy new pillows, too.

It's so weird because just looking at the skin there are no marks whatsoever, but it just itches atrociously. I start to scratch and it gets worse. It's like my legs are on fire! Then they get red and with slight little tiny red dots and few tiny bumps. Once I stop itching (and sometimes cool with water) within ten minutes the redness/bumps goes away and you'd never be able to tell there was a problem! The other day I did leave a little bruise though. Now I just try to NOT let myself scratch no matter what, but it's very difficult. I end up touching or rubbing the areas slightly.

The itchy areas change from night to night. One night the itch was symmetrical on both of my thighs right above my knees and on the sides of my knees. Another night it was my lower left calf and last night it was the back of my right thigh. There is so much radiating pain there when it itches!! It's really perplexing to me. I'm such a healthy person, no sugars, processed foods; I eat fruits and veggies, take whole food vitamins, omegas, fruit/veg juicing everyday, etc.

Does this itching sound like an allergic reaction of sorts???

I've tried to think of WHAT has changed in my routine that could be the cause. Well, I came up with only two things that have changed in my routine. Either could be the culprit.

1. About a month ago I bought this organic shea hibiscus coconut shower gel. I've shaved with it about 5 times, I think. I think I might be allergic to something in it and it's gotten into my hair follicles. ?? I have discontinued the product. My last shave with it was 3 days ago.

2. Also about a month ago, I started an herbal supplement called Bacopa Monnerei. It's for increasing mental clarity/sharpness and memory. (It works, amazingly so I hope it's not the problem!). After a few days on it, I noticed an odd itching on the side of my left breast and into my underarm. The itching was very subtle, not intense, and lasted a couple days. - But you know what I just realized, this was around the time I started using that shower gel, too (I used it to shave my underarms).

I've discontinued both the herbal supplement and the shower gel. I really hope this crazy itching clears up. It's driving me crazy at night, it hurts so bad.

Thoughts anyone?? I'm going nuts!

It does sound like it could be a contact dermatitis.  It could also be a food allergy, so if it does not resolve after stopping the new products, you might want to get tested for food allergies like gluten, milk, soy, nuts.  The lotion that calms my skin down is made by Jergens.  They change the names of things all the time, but currently the product is called Vaseline firming.
I have a very similar condition on my legs.  After a year of weeding out products with no luck, I realized my skin had become drier with age.  I definately agree with applying calming skin lotion day and night, especially after baths, showers, or swimming.  I personally use Vaseline Aloe Fresh Hydrating with cucumber extract.  I also suggest skin-friendly supplements, such as Vitamin A, E, and fish oil.  Hope you find relief soon!
I know this may sound like a weird suggestion, but could it be bed bugs? It seems unlikely b/c it is only on your legs, but it is interesting that it only occurs when you are in bed.
If it were bedbugs, the red bumps would be large and would appear even before itching.  They would not go away when you stopped itching.  I think they tend to scar, also.  
It can be due to contact dermatitis to the herbal supplements, vascular eczema, stasis dermatitis or scabies bites. For these rashes, do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. Also take some antihistaminic like Benadryl and apply a mild steroid cream on the itchy bumps. Also keep the area well moisturized.

If the symptoms persist then get an evaluation done from a dermatologist.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies.
So, I did stop those two products (herb and shower gel). But I also switched beds.That night, nothin. No itch. Now I think the issue was the bed. Strange, considering that I had just washed the sheets recently. Maybe there was too much dust in that room all together. It's a big room and hard to keep clean.

Last night I got an itch on my leg in the night (in the bed in the next room). I'm doing the laundry now... Hopefully if there is some sort of dust mite, the sanitize laundry setting will kill it.

I'm still not totally convinced what the issue actually is. If I start itching like mad again I will have to go to the doctor I guess.

Thanks again for all of your replies.
I am having the same problem, only mine happened once a couple of months ago and now I have had it twice in one month.  It wakes me up and my legs itch so bad I can hardly stand it.  There is no rash and it is only my legs, both of them from my thighs to my feeet.I take an allergy pill and wipe my legs constntly with a wet towel or I woud scratch my legs bloody. Any suggestions would be appreciated
I also suffer very itchy legs and feet at night - not every night just every few weeks or so. My lower legs seem a little swollen, warm and slightly flushed as if I have wellie boots on.  The itching is more like a pricking and its torture to scratch and torture to not scratch.  It lasts ages - at least an hour or two.  I've tried assorted creams unsuccessfully.  The best thing I find is to get up and have a cup of tea and walk about a bit and not worry about the lack of sleep.  My legs gradually cool down and the itching eventually abates of its own accord.  Though the main prickliness/itchiness is on my legs, I have  brief spells of itchiness in other areas at the same time, always very sudden and urgent so one feels one must scratch. This goes as soon as scratched.   I think it must be something to do with either venous return or allergy.  Today I had St Agur cheese about 8 or 9 hours ago.  I have had it before and never had a reaction so it is unlikely to be connected.  I don't usually have a reaction to any cheese.  I am mystified why the itching would only appear when one went to bed so I'm not convinced it is an allergy,  It seems to be a relatively common problem which happens a. at night and b. when lying down at night.  The circumstances of each account are different, the only similar factors are a & b.   I know that the body reduces activity at night to the main areas eg the brain, lungs, kidneys etc and concentrates on flushing the skin and peripheral areas which is why I wondered if it is some blood related problem which it has just occurred to me may be alleviated by getting up and having a glass of water or tea, maybe thus providing more fluid for the blood to get on with doing what it is supposed to do at night.
Hi everyone,
I have found the cure for my itchy legs and hope maybe it helps you. I had horribly itchy legs for years. I've gone to countless doctors, tried creams, baths, even medication, nothing worked and all of my doctors were stumped.  I began tracking when the itching started, what triggered it, when it was the worst, and I realized it correlated with my birth control - for the past few years I have been switching my birth control and my itching was worse when I took Ocella, better when I took Apri.  I also noted that I took my birth control at night and that's when I had the worst itching. Although I brought this up with my gyno, she dismissed it.  But I wanted to try going off birth control to see what would happen.  It took a few months for my system to regulate but about 2 months after going off birth control, the itching stopped!! I am so relieved to be rid of this itching that kept me up at night in tears with my legs constantly covered in scratches that it is worth it to stay off birth control.  If you're not willing to go off birth control, experiment with different brands or types, but do give it a few months.  For me, the itching did not stop right away until my body regulated itself.

Also for short-term relief, I found that Gold Bond Intensive Relief Medicated Anti-Itch Lotion REALLY soothed the itching.  It's the kind in the Anti-Itch section of the drugstore, not the lotion kind.  

I hope this helps some of you!!
I had severely itchy legs for a few months. I would scratch them raw at night and be totally fine during the day- just found out its scabies!! Dr gave me cream and have to wash everything- right away my legs stopped itching- just minor reaction that I was told will eventually disappear once all the mites and eggs are gone. It looke like little bumps at first- then hives- sooo get checked for scabies- I saw 3 different doctors that all said something different before one finally figured it out.
Thanks for this comment.  I am 49 and not on birth control pills; however, in those premenopause years.  Have noticed a considerable increase in itching on my legs at night especially the few days leading to my period.,  Not quite like your case, but involves hormones..
I have this same problem and I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned the birth control, but maybe this has something to do with an increase of hormones. I don't use birth control but I am in what is called lutuel phase of my cycle which is the time after ovulation but right before the period. During that time I know there is an increase in hormones. Birth control also increases hormones. And I would need to look it up but I wonder of the brand you were on had a higher dose or a certain hormones that your new brand doesn't. Hmm I may need to keep researching it, but perhaps I'm on to something. Anyone have any thoughts?
From my research, progesterone might be the culprit.  There is an increase of progesterone during luteal phase and the chemical used in ocella is very close to natural progesterone.  Anyone else have a connection to hormone increase when they experience this awful itching?
I also have this and can get so bad I can end up scratching till my legs are bleeding, all the doctors are stopped but, I have noticed that artificial heat (radiators) that when I have had them on I tend to suffer more. Now when I am somewhere with an open fire for heating I notice I do not get the issue!!? I do not know why but it would seem that the artificial heat triggers mine, might be an idea to not have it on for a couple of house before you go to bed as this really helps me.

Hope that is of help to someone that has this same issue :-)
I have suffered for about 7 months this itch on a nightly basis. I have been intolerance tested and cut out dairy, eggs, MSG, sweeteners and avoid as much dust as I can as a result. although my eczema has cleared a lot as a whole, my night time itchy legs seem to be getting worse as well as my sinusitis. I have tried 2 different beds, staying over at friends, sleeping on sofas, new allergy friendly washing detergent, anti allergy bedding. Nothing helps. I'm on 2 types of antihistamine and doctors don't know what else to give me. If I fall asleep before the itch starts il be fine all night but may wake up with a few dry rash like patches that don't itch. If I wake in the night or dont fall asleep immediately I will itch until I find the will to stop and wait for it to die down, I'm trying quercitin, vitamin c and bromelin supplements now to reduce the histamine response of my body. Will let you know if it helps. One thing that caught my eye was anniejsab's comment about blood flow as I only itch when lying or my legs are raised! This is bizarre
I've bee n suffering with this symptom as well.it doesn't have a pattern other than at night.I'm awake now after itching my calves in my sleep.I used to take pain killers for my back issues and wheneer they wore off I'd get itchiness like th is.sr says its because the nerves are starting to feel again.(basically).I hadn't taken a pill in weeks then took one ab out 5am this morning.well its a few hours later...and hered the itchiness.I also must mention that I have gotten hives due to stress and have. lupus.not sure if they're related or not.
You may try calamine lotion. I tried homeopathic remedy Fagopyrum 6X and got relief in one dose. However consult a Homeopath to get permanent relief.
I've tried Calamine lotion and that helps my problem.  I also found a spray called fire in the hole that stops itching pretty quickly and it says it doesn't have corticosteroids which I try to avoid.
I have this problem.  I find bathing my legs with cold water when they are itchy stops the itching and I can then go back to bed and sleep.  I am about to try a different blood pressure medication to see if this is the cause, which looks quite possible.
So I have the same issue at night been going on for 3 yrs now! No BC no allergies to food or meds, hypoallergenic bed and sheets(due to son having severe asthma) tried everything! Found out I'm allergic to sulfate, it is found in almost everything! Weaned it out but now found out its in laundry soaps too!! So I suggest trying to get all natural products!! I never was allergic to it till being pregnant!! 3 yrs ago with my son it changed the chemical balance in my body!! This might help y'all! I don't wear dresses or shorts due to the fact I itch my skin till it bleed and scabbed! Try this if it doesn't work then call a allergist specialist!! Good luck! It an expensive allergy! And sometimes they can do shots!! My skin burns and is itchy only at night. Turns red after itching and I have tiny bumps on my thighs but they are not colored just skin colored when I itch them they open and at dry!
I have had chronic itching all over for years and it is severe at least a few days a week. I have been to 3 Dermatologists and they all barely investigate it and dismiss it as eczema.  One did the allergy tests on my back and came up with nothing (she had her nurse comein pretending to be a doctor and mispronounced Eczema as "ek-ZEEM-a). .  Now, I haven't had health insurance in years because I cant find a job and live off my family (Lymphoma led to bad credit and DUI which prevents hiring).

Anyway, the only thing that helps me is a dose of Vitamin C- at least 500mg - before I start to itch.  I end up taking one every few hours all day and night long.  Even with this,ly legs are all sctached up with scabs and my arms and shoulders always have a rash.

My latest theory is that I am allergic to genetically-modified corn since popcorn and corn chips seems to trigger it and problem started about the same time as Monsanto (evil profiteers ruining our world for money) started screwing up the world's food supplyfor their own gain.
sounds like scabies to me....i just got diagnosed...and had all the symptoms mentioned....after getting prescribed meds and  cream....and washing of sheets and clothing in hot water ..i havent experienced it in months

...GOOD LUCK
It's in the bed! Whatever is making us itch is in the bed. I've had this for many years tried everything, went to the doctor he had no answers. Then i figured out it's in the bed! Something in the bed is irritating our skin. SOLUTION; clean your sheets regularly, and spray them with Lysol Disinfectant spray a couple times a week. Spray sheets, pillows, mattress, everything. Dont wear the same clothes to bed for days on end. If you're itchy take a hot bath with baking soda in the water.
I believe this type of itching might be hormonal. I have the same problem. Over the last year it's only gotten worse. Mostly bad at night, the worse it gets, the more frequent the itching. Sometimes during the day. I never had this problem before until I was pregnant With my first daughter, after which my hormones have never been the same. I've tried antihistamines, switching sheets, switching soap, laundry detergent, numerous lotions and creams. I'm not sure what hormone it's related too but when I start having worse hormonal symptoms the itching starts up or gets worse. And it doesn't feel like its on the surface, it feels deeper. I itch my legs so bad at night I have bruises from it. So I feel your pain. Wish I knew a cure! Just wanted to add that you might look into hormonal imbalance as the cause of your  itching.
I've struggled with itchy legs at night for years and tried anything I could think of to fix it. Very similar story to those listed above. Thoughts from my experiences: Some things I've pinned down that trigger are stress and skin dryness. Treatment that has provided relief includes prescription steroid topical creams mixed with hydrophor or aquaphor (OTC- baby aisle). One steroid cream is clobetasol, but there are several. Steroid anything is not my cup of tea but it allows me to sleep at night so it's worth the risks. It reduces inflammation and over active nerve endings, which cause the insane itching. Most recent visit to the dermatologist said that it isn't caused by anything pathological (ie bug bite, infection, rash, etc) but is rather more likely to be neurological. It may be related to restless leg syndrome-- brain sending signals to nerves that are all haywire (simplified version, obviously), which is also neurological. Most recently I was prescribed a cream with capsaicin as the active ingredient. It's less harmful than steroids, but burns upon application. Doc tells me the burning will ease up after a few weeks. We'll see. I wish I hadn't waited so long to see a doctor-- I waited at least a year. If nothing works then don't wait, talk to your doc.  
I have been suffering with itchy legs for the past 2 weeks,especially at night and early morning, so much so that i take an antihistamine daily. I am also wondering whether it can be hormonal. I have stopped eating dairy and bread and it is still happening. Should I stop caffeine. It is driving me crazy:s
I have it and its not the bed - I just got a new bed and still have it.  I find that when I go for a pedicure I soak my ankles in the water and after it goes away.  I also find it goes away when I soak in a bath or go swimming.  I have put it down to dryness.  I use a fragrance free moisturizer and calamine and it seems to keep it at bay.
Hi I have the same problem it is allergres CAUSE It pitches right along your blood veins it most likely a mineral witch can be taken hours before mine is iodine in salt get some anti itch cream and allergy pills called loratadine it works
I also have this, but I'm PRETTY sure that my itchy legs are related to stretch marks (TINY ones I can barely see unless I pull the skin).

This makes a lot of sense for the people saying it's related to hormones as a lot of women tend to put on and lose weight along with their monthly cycles. And if you're like me and the amount of bloating/ water retention etc you get leading up to your period is significant enough, then your body will pretty much constantly be in a state of drastic weight gain/loss, and constantly have stretch marks!

I'm currently gonna trial coco butter/ bio oil for the next month or so to see if extreme moisturising helps with the scarring and subsequent itching!

Also if it's that bad try to get hold of some Promethazine! It's a super strength antihistamine which was prescribed to me as a sleeping pill. 20mg will have you sleeping all night for sure itching or no!
I get the same thing with my inner thighs and on the back, in the winter, or late fall. I used to use St Ives lotion with Alpha Hydroxy Acid, It worked Great!  but they stopped making it :( . Now i use Suave advanced therapy, and sometimes i put mosturizing bath oil from kmart, in my bath water and soak. It helps a lot. While sleeping i put a small pillow between my knees..that gets air to my thighs, plus having them together is double the heat. Good luck everyone i hope my tips help.      
I have struggled with itchy knees for 3 yrs.... Worse when going to bed wakes me up.. Very disruptful...

Right when i wanted to just give up and face the fact that I would live with it forever I started spraying a mixture of water and apple cider vinegar on my knee after every shower.... It's disappearing!! No more rash just a little bump.. No itching I swear it's a miracle !!!! Thank you apple cider vinegar!  

I only use organic ACV and sometimes once it dries on its own after the shower I moisturize with a little organic coconut oil.

Try it ppl! :)))
I have this terrible itching from my knees down every night.  it starts even before I try to go to sleep and wakes me every night.  it is so bad I get maybe 3 hrs sleep a night.  I have tried vinegar soaks that helped for a while but now is not working.  now I am using a vitamin e cream from K-Mart and it relieves the itch but it doesn't go entirely away.  I had bypass surgery on both my legs because of bad circulation and it seems to have started after that surgery.  my legs are numb from the surgery but the itching is driving me nuts.  It is weird to scratch your legs and not really feel them yet the itching is there from the inside out.
I just wanted to share this with any itchy leg sufferers out there....I had itchy legs for years ( 7-8 yrs).  It started in my early 20's and have had it until very recently when I made a discovery that changed my life.  

I cut out diet pop ( and thus Aspartame ) and my legs have completely cleared up.  I consider this nothing short of a miracle.  Both of my parents are Doctors, and could not diagnose the problem.  I had been to several dermatologists, an allergy specialist, and even had my leg biopsied.  The skin on my leg was so thick from the scratching that the doctor could not even stitch my leg closed.

I used to drink Diet-Coke on a regular basis ( a few bottles a week). When I cut out the Aspartame diet pop ( for an unrelated issue with headaches) I was shocked to discover that my itching had subsided, and then after a couple of weeks had stopped completely.  I know that this wont be a solution for everyone, but if you haven't tried this ( cutting out diet pop, and everything else that has Aspartame)  I urge you to give it a try.  Here is an interesting link from the FDA about the toxicity effects of Aspartame http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/jan03/012203/02p-0317_emc-000199.txt.

I feel like I have my life back!  I used to waste a considerable amount of time each day scratching...scratching..scratching in the morning when I woke up, in the shower scratching... coming home from work and watching TV scratching...scratching..scratching, at night time ( was driving my wife CRAZY!!)

Any way you get the point.....give it a shot you've got nothing to lose!
Hi. I was wondering if we could chat.  I had an allergic reaction to PPD in black hair dye.  Ever since that happened I've been having severely itchy/rashy legs at night.  It's only at night and seems to be exacerbated by hot showers.  Mostly below the knee but it can creep up into the thighs too.  I have tried weeding out gluten and it hasn't really worked though maybe I should do it for longer period of time.  I honestly think it's a sulfate allergy as that is more consistent with the PPD allergy.  I'm starving to death because I'm afraid to eat anything that might trigger "an attack".  I have tried benadryl, zyrtec, bendaryl cream and gel, cortisone cream, gold bond medicated cream and powder.  Sometimes things work sometimes they don't.  I can't get any sleep.  :(  I read that sulfates are in dried fruit and shrimp and corn syrup etc.  I've been using Dove soap and havent' even washed my hair in a week because I'm afraid of triggering a reaction.  What have you tried that's worked for you  - either on the diet front or the product front.  Please help!  Thank you so much.  email: mila_ortiz71***@****
Mila
I have tried everything..antibiotics to oil of oregano to lye soaps  scrub brushes  hot water cold water ..alcohol hydrogen peroxide olive oils coconut oil vinegar and a dozen other  'cures' and this was one is so simple ..the listed "cures" above lasted for 24 hours and some 2 days.....and than it would start up again...i scratched and itches until i was a bloody mess...went on for months.and always at night..as soon as i went t bed  it would start...night after night.......sleepless nights until I would past out......finally i got so mad  and tryed something I have done with my animals.I powered them with Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth..and slept all night....that next day i rubbed again with Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth ...I rubbed it in good  and that was a month ago..no more itch.no more problems with any itch...and cost me maybe almost nothing ... anyone can get Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth on line or at some farm stores or pet care centres .this stuff works great for dogs cats and my itchy legs and its an instant insecticide for ants cockroaches bed bugs crabs head lice body lice  and I have been eating it for years ....
Ever wonder why birds take dust baths?  same reason why this stuff works.......
I powdered my dogs with this and can watch the fleas and ticks fall off..and its NOT poisonous its NOT harmful to earthworms ...but wastes ants and plant aphids you can see the aphids fall off the roses  turns away slugs i don't know what it will do to scorpions  or centipedes....... and i eat  about a table spoon a week
Dear All,
            I used to have the same problem.used to drive me mad.Apart from this I also suffer from ezcema (eczema) and melasma (both were always somwhat mild tho).I used to apply mouthwash,toothpaste and what  not ,for relief.but it was all temporary.Giving up gluten helped ezcema (eczema) and reduced melasma by 75%,but there were nights where i'd wake up and keep on itching.My mother had some old books in Hindi and in one of those books i found a remedy which suited me very well.I apply neem    ( Azardirchta indica) oil almost twice a week before going to sleep.its greasy yes. but i dont mind.I havent scratched in months.The method of making this oil is simple .collect lots (2-3 kg) of neem leaves.wash them thorougly.after they dry a bit ,mix and boil in about a litre of cooking,corn.olive oil (any  one) for 1-1.5 hrs at very low heat.may take 2 hrs also.Boil till leaves become dry and dark and start crackling(as in deep fried).filter,cool and store.stays for 2-3 years.its even better if you bruise the leaves a little BEFORE boiling.For my brothers and sisters inthe west,where neem may not be available, i can send you this oil for a small charge(cost of oil,gas,mailing) only.not for profit.should not be more than 1-2 dollars for the oil( 1 kilogram),50 cents for packaging, 4-5 dollars for mailing).no charge for collection and effort involved.alternatively,if you have any friend,relative visiting India, I can mail for a even lesser price. Do email me at dataiotics@ yahoo com.  PS-- i have tried corticosteroids,halobetasol ,mometasone and most of the commonly available otc and prescribed drugs with no avail.This really suits me.I pray that you may also get relief.The only request is that if you benefit from this.--pls pls  pass on the good deed.do something for someone you  dont know personally .makes the world a beautiful place methinks....
I have been reading and trying things from this forum for literally two years. I also have been to numerous dermatologists and nothing really helped for any extended period of time.  A friend of mine, who is a doctor, introduced me to a product that worked after about 3 weeks… and my legs have not itched since. It literally was a miracle and I will take it forever! Please please reach out to me via ***@**** if you want more info!
I used to have itchiness like yours but i discovered it immediately when one time i forgot  to drink coffee that day because i and my friends were out early for a hitch hike to see the early sun in mt. fuji. for two successive days, i was wondering why i wasnt attacked by itchiness. i stopped drinking coffee and strong teas and im now drinking hot chamomile tea instead..to relax my stomach after i wake up in the morning and right before i go to bed..
I am experiencing something similar. My legs start itching as soon as I put my feet up at night.  Itching caused red bumps.  Bumps are usually gone by morning.  I thought It may have been bed bugs, however, my husband hasn't had an issue.  My son often sleeps with us , he hasn't had an issue.  Last night however, my daughter woke at about midnight with a few welts on her belly which looked like mosquito bites.  and a few on the inner part of her legs.  Do fleas only bite at night?  I don't know what this is, but it's gone by morning.  ( I am also 6 months pregnant, so thought it could have been hormonal at first because its not every night, and is only on my legs) I really hope my daughters wasn't related to mine.  Any takers?
I use neem oil in my hair but I don't prepare it myself.  I'm wondering if I need to mix what I have with a carrier oil, because what I have is very thick.  I also have been pills.  I'm definitely going to try this remedy.  My itching just started about 2 weeks ago and is getting progressively worse.  I have eczema and am on a gluten and casein protein (milk/curds and whey ) free diet.  

For me taking hot showers is the worse thing I can do as it strips away the natural oils and my makes my skin itchy dry.  So the itch on my legs is not the same as the eczema itch.  I have heard that neem oil is great for you skin.  I don't know if fresh neem oil smells like what I have, but I will learn to use it strategically if it offers true relief.  I was awakened at 2:30am and have been up for 3 hours from the itching!!!
What is the product??!
I've had itchy legs without redness/bumps/rash/etc since March 2014.
Cannot figure out what it is; NOT dry skin though.  Affects my inner thighs the worst...I have skin colored bumps from scratching so much, my shins, and  backs of my knees.  Itching is so intense but nothing seeems to be the cause that I can find.  I don't want to waste money at the dermatologist (no insurance) since everyone seems to say going to one didn't help at all.
I've determined it has something to do with shaving...since the itching only occurs on areas that I shave (except underarms).  What can it be?  I can't even put on jeans without going crazy with itching!!!
If you want a name for the condition look up "aquagenic pruritus".