Shaving upper lip leaves burning sore

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Shaving upper lip leaves burning sore

I  am a 55 year old female with heavy facial hair; I have had fuzz all my life and have faced the fact that I need to shave my face at this age.  If I did not shave each day, long hairs would sprout from my throat and chin.  Needless to say, when younger I never thought that I would need to shave daily, but such is my reality since about four years ago when menses ceased for good.  I am careful about shaving my philtrum, because of this recurring problem that happens maybe once a year, but two days ago, I shaved it too closely with my Bic and now I have a swelling, burning sore, similar to a cold sore, on the philtrum.  It started out as in the past, a burning, small blister; this changes to a larger sore about the size of a pea with sort of a crust that develops after three to four days, then the crust falls off and very slow healing begins with pink skin.  In my twenties I used depilatories, but shaving is faster and less dangerous to skin, I feel; also I have ruled out electrolysis as too much fuss.  I am resigned to shaving and it is less invasive/dangerous than chemicals or needles.  Is there a quicker way to heal up this sore?  In general, they are gone in two weeks.  

Thanks,

pronker  

It could be eczema, sweat dermatitis, allergic reactions or folliculitis. This could most definitely be secondary to shaving.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

Folliculitis is infection and inflammation of the hair follicles. The condition may be superficial (i.e., on the surface of the skin) or deep within the follicles.The most common cause of folliculitis is infection by the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus.

Folliculitis symptoms can appear independent of infection. Exposure of the skin to certain chemicals, especially oils and tars, can trigger an outbreak. People with depressed immune systems, diabetes, or obesity have a greater risk of contracting folliculitis than the general population.

Be extremely careful about personal hygiene. Application of antiseptic washes may help prevent recurrences. A topical antibiotic cream, mupirocin (Bactroban®), has been effective at reducing bacterial colonization in the nostrils. It is applied twice daily for a week and is repeated every 6 months.

Let us know if you need any further information.

Regards.

I have folliculitus (folliculitis) but I also have a very itchy philtrum and it's really itchy and uncomfortable when I go out in public.  What is this... I spend a lot of time in front of the mirror and I know that one Philtrum is bigger than the other because of this.  It doesn't hurt but itches like crazy sometimes.  What the hell is this?  It's actually been ruining my life for 3 years now.