Dermatology Expert Forum
Shingles and Swimming

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Shingles and Swimming

I am 59yo and was diagnosed today (Tuesday) with shingles. I have had Crohn's for the last 5yrs and am on 5mg of Prednisone/day as well just being switched to Lialda 2.4gms/day (from Pentasa 4gms/day) one month ago. I was started on Famvir today-500mg tid. I am leaving for Hawaii on Wednesday and am scheduled to swim with the dolphins on Thursday. I have completed my first full day's dose of medicine and will continue until the prescription is completed. I am then staying on a maintenance dose of 250mg/day until I can get the vaccine in 6mos at age 60. My question is if it is safe for me to go ahead with my scheduled dolphin swim. Am I putting myself at risk? Am I putting anyone else at risk? I look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible. Thank you for your input.
Sincerely,
Joanne Jenks
Tags: lialda
I can't think of any reason for you not to swim, with the dolphins or otherwise.  Shingles (zoster) can only be transmitted by direct contact, and only to someone who has never had chickenpox.  Also, you're taking oral antivral medication, which will further suppress transmission.  Have a good time.

Dr. Rockoff
Thank you so much for your quick and helpful response!! I truly appreciate your advice. One of my concerns was about the possibility of my contracting infection but you addressed that and I feel much better about going. Thanks for making my trip the best it can be!! I will now be able to have a brilliant vacation!!
Sincerely,
Joanne Jenks