Dermatology Expert Forum
Shingles? blistery skin soar

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Shingles? blistery skin soar

Twice a year I will have a small round blistery skin irritation that forms in my lower abdomen area just above my pelvic bone (pubic hair area) and below my belly button directly in the middle.   In the beginning stages my skin on my left "love handle" or waist will become extremely sensitive to the touch and will last for about one week.  This sensitivity of the skin only happens on one side of my body usually the left.

About a week later a small round blistery skin irritation forms and last for about 2-3 weeks, occasionally another blistery skin irritation will form next to it making me think these soars spred, b but is usually limited to two soars.  Once the skin irritation/soar forms, the sensitivity of skin on my left waist dissipates.  However,  while I have this blistery skin irritation or soar, my right pubic gland is very painfull and enlarged or swollen.  Once the soar heals and scabs over the pubic gland goes back to normal size and feeling.  

I'm wondering if this sounds like shingles to you?  If not what does it sound like?  I'm a 34 year old male who had chicken pox at a young age.  Also, is it okay to use calamine lotion to dry the blisters out?  These blistery soars are painful not itchy.  5 years ago when I first got this I had the soar swabbed by a doctor and was told it was just an irritation, no disease but it keeps re-occuring bi-yearly so it sounds like something else to me.  Thank you in advance for your response.    
Tags: irritable
Shingles only happens once.  If you keep getting blisters in the same place, it may be herpes simplex, the same virus that causes both oral cold sores and genital herpes.  The only way to tell whether that's what it is would be to have a doctor see and perhaps test them when they're there.  Since that may be hard to arrange, you may want to photograph the blisters when they come.  If this is herpes, there may not be much need for treatment, since the sores heal by themselves.  But you ought to find out what these are.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
If it is herpes why wouldn't it be on my genitals?  Can you explain the sensitive to touch skin on my waist prior to the soar outbreak?
Sounds like herpes. Herpes can occur anywhere really. The herpes virus lives in a nerve ganglion and what you are feeling prior to this blister is a prodrome. The prodrome is when the virus races to the surface of the skin and what becomes an outbreak. Sounds like a recurrent case of herpes 1 or 2 but probably 2 but go get it checked out!! Get aan IGG Herpes Select Test. Do NOT let them talk you into an IGM Test. Get the IGG test. Good luck
Shingles can occur more than once.
Red rashes on face and body. Does this mean Shingles? They're itch and burn.
I have small blisters on my hands they don't bust or leak they just      go down an turn into a small brown dot what is that?