Shingles on lips?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Shingles on lips?

Hello, I am wondering if it is possible to get shingles on your lips. 3 days ago, there was a tiny miniscule bump near the bottom of my bottom lip (but not in the corner, not like a cold sore). It was almost like a little pimple. Then 2 days ago, I saw three tiny little liquid filled blisters where that original bump was. This morning I woke up and the blisters had popped and in it's place, a light honey colored "crust". I picked the crust off and my my lip is slightly swollen/itchy/burning.

I had shingles in a different location (on my face) twice before and the symptoms I am having now just reminded me of it. So I'm wondering, do I have shingles on my lip? Should I go to the doctor? Will they be able to treat it or do I just have to ride it out?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
From the symptoms it can be cold sores or impetigo sores. Impetigo is a superficial skin infection caused by staph aureus. It is highly contagious and you are advised to refrain from any physical contact with others.

In herpetic sores, pain, burning, tingling, or itching occurs at the infection site before the sores appear. Then clusters of blisters erupt which break down.

I suggest you to get an examination done from a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hello! I did go to the Doctor and it WAS a horrible horrible cold sore! She prescribed Valtrex and a cream and it went away quickly after that. :-) Thanks for your help!