Shingles

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Shingles

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if shingles is contagious to myself. Can i spread it all over my own body? Or is it something that has to be activated from the inside?
Avatar dr f tn

Shingles or herpes zoster is caused by the varicella-zoster virus, the same virus that causes chickenpox. After you've had chickenpox, the virus lies inactive in your nerves and may reactivate as shingles. The first sign of shingles is often burning or tingling pain, or sometimes numbness or itch, in one particular location on only one side of the body. It does not spread all over the body like chicken pox because it only acts upon a particular dermatome. Lesions heal and the pain subsides within 3 to 5 weeks, and the blisters often leave no scars. Take care and regards.