DERMATOLOGY
FORUM
Shiny Area On Lower Legs
by Carolyn__0__0, Aug 10, 1999

Posted by Carolyn on August 10, 1999 at 12:34:23
Good Morning Doctor.
I am wondering if having a Shiny area on the lower part of the legs (both) is indicative of anything.  All around this area is normal but for a 4" long  shiny area that circles around the lower legs.   I have had this now for 2 years and had hoped it would just go away.  It has not.  
Thank You.   Carolyn

Posted by Derm M.D. ASR on August 10, 1999 at 22:21:36
Carolyn:
That's a toughie, hard to answer without a look.  I don't recall ever seeing a condition which "circles around the legs"  (all the way around?)  Could you be wearing something which presses on or binds the skin in those parts?
You don't mention whether you have any medical problems (diabetes, for instance, is sometimes associated with changes on the shins.)  I'd need to know if the skin is thinned out, or discolored in any way (such as orange-yellow), or just hairless.  The appearance may just be a curiosity, but to find out, you'd need to see a Dermatologist, I think.  One look would set your mind at ease.
Good luck.
Dr. R
keywords: rash, legs, Rockoff
Disclaimer: The information provided in this forum is presented for general educational purposes only. Specific questions you have pertaining to your health should always be directed to your personal physician.