Dermatology Expert Forum
Should I be Concerned?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Should I be Concerned?

Hello Doc,

I just have a couple of questions for you and anyone else with any helpful advice. I am a tattoo artist(which is a very sedentary job) and since I have begun tattooing over two years ago I have developed some skin problems on back of legs,buttocks(Especially in the crease where my buttocks meet my legs), and under one underarm. They are boil-like conditions that have no visible head on them and are sometimes painful. The funny thing about it is that they appear only where friction occurs(where my jeans rub or that crease that I spoke of earlier right where my legs hit the edge of the chair). As for my underarms, just walking and swinging my arms I feel alot of friction.I get them one or two at a time and I am not kidding you when they do occur I feel them with every step because they lie right where something rubs together. I would say that I am a heavy sweater in those areas and my father talks of similiar acne like symptoms on his buttocks(maybe a genetic predisposition). My other question is about the back of my head at the hairline from time to time i get bumps that are kinda sore.With further investigation by my wife we have found that the irritation is surrounding a follicle which appears to have several hairs growing from it. At the removal of these hairs they heal up completely within a day or two.Whatcould that be? Now that I think about it these occur right where my hat rubs!Hmmm....  I have taken some preventative measures by making tattooing a parttime job, Using anti-bacterial soap and lubing up against friction with baby powder,changing my diet and returning to a regular exercise program. Now I am happy to say that i appear to have the problem under control, everything has completely healed and I feel alot better. I have not had really anymore trouble for the past month since I took Measures. I was left with scarring but what can you do about it. Most of those are beggining to fade anyway. So my main question is If i continue to have no problems or at least less severe problems is there any reason to take further action? Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you very much,

Tattooed Genius
Not really--it sounds like you achieved more with your measures than I usually do with treatment for blocked follicles.  If the condition recurs despite what you've done, you might consider asking a doctor for antibiotic treatment, primarily topical (external.)  Lots of folks get folliculitis even of they don't have a sedentary job and sweat a lot.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Thanks alot doc. one more thing.There is a little itch around the scarring.But with my experience with people healing tattoos it is all part of the healing process. The Itch. Many thanks. I feel blessed that as far as it looks it is not going to be a difficult thing to keep under control.