Dermatology Expert Forum
Skin Cancer Concern on Nose

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Skin Cancer Concern on Nose

I have a concern about skin cancer. Wisely or not, I have in the past treated some abnormalities on my nose with a natural escharotic called
If you see and (apparently) trust a dermatologist, and if you had a basal cell removed by a doctor years ago, why on earth are you using an esharotic on your nose?  How do you expect anyone to know what you have if you keep this up?  I have no idea whether you've been masking skin cancers by ripping their tops off or (more likely) burning off normal skin.

There is no way to know what you have (or whether you have anything) unless you leave the skin alone and let a doctor see what's going on so a biopsy can be done if indicated.  Escharotics, which can mask skin cancers until they burst forth, not to mention leave unsightly scars, are a truly lousy idea.  Especially on your nose!

Good luck.

Dr. Rockoff
Thank you, Dr. Rockoff. To add an explanation, I had used the salve initially for two reasons: I didn't have health insurance at the time, and it was affordable. I also respected the opinion of the practitioner who recommended it to me. But I regret now the uncertainty this situation has created. The dermatologist I've seen recently has told me I should't be too concerned. He also told me most recently that basal cells take a long time to develop, and it's unlikely these recent spots/bumps, which seemed to appear overnight, are necessarily cause for concern. (But he is concerned about the anxiety I've had, however.) I should add that all this takes place against a backdrop of recovery from a serious accident a year ago, in which I severed my left quadriceps tendon, had surgery, a brace for several months, and a year of learning to walk again. It's left me feeling more vulnerable than usual.
Got it.  But your dermatologist is right about basal cells growing slowly.  I too am concerned about your anxiety, specifically about the fact that this anxiety is causing you to take unwise steps.  Ditto the sense of vulnerability....

Dr. Rockoff
I recently (a few months ago) devolped a small white bump on left side of tip of my nose.  I thought it was a pimple but it was not when I tried removing it, it bled and evntullly flaked and healed.  I am 37 and I am 1 year post testicular cancer / chemo.   My wife and mom are concerned.  Could it be just a new mole or wart or should I be concerned? I appreciate any feedback.
A related discussion, right side of nose was started.