Dermatology Expert Forum
Skin Damage From Nystatin and Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Dr.-

I had been prescribed Nystatn and Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream last fall for a fungal infection on the tip and upper shaft of my circumsized penis. It has recently been brought to my attention that Triamcinolone is a steriod and can have adverse effects on skin tissue after it was re-prescribed to me in a 30g tube, so I discontinued use.  

I used it over a 5 month period refilling the 15g tube approximately 4 times after the initial prescription.  I have noticed what seems to be thinning and stretch marks after the fact.  The tissue seems a bit more smooth, elastic, wrinkly and I have some discomfort (a dull pain that is more irritating than painful/ light burning.)  It is more red than usual and when I stretch the skin, there seem to be some indication of minor stretch marks.  

I'm worried about skin atrophy. I have a hard time remembering exactly what it looked like when it was completely healthy, and now I'm stuck in a cycle of trying to compare it to the time when it was healthy (with no lucidity) and recursive anxieties about what I've read about the effects of these corticosteriods on the web.

Although I'm not in severe pain, I'm nervous that I may have done irreversible damage to the skin tissue. I'm prone to worry and anxiety and am aware that this can also effect perceived symptoms as well.

I have scheduled an appointment with a dermatologist, but my anxieties still get the best of me, even though my GP who prescribed the cream seems to think I have nothing to worry about.

Have I done irreversible damage to the penis?
Will these symptoms go away with time?
Should I abstain from sexual intercourse with my girlfriend and masturbation?
Is baby powder or lotion safe to put on the skin of my penis in it's condition?

I'm turning to you in a time of uncertainty, looking for guidance...

Sinncerely,
Norm147

No.  I doubt you have any atrophy, but atrophy is in any case reversible.  I think you're just looking too hard at your penis and noticing normal things you never looked at before.

Will these symptoms go away with time?

I doubt they're real symptoms.  I think they're normal penile anatomy plus anxiety.

No.

Yes.

Please see a doctor and get your concerns addressed in person.  Then you can forget about it.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
A related discussion, Stretch Marks was started.
A related discussion, atrosphy from topical steriods was started.