Dermatology Expert Forum
Skin Damage
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Skin Damage

Hi, my name is ryan.  I noticed a red circular discoloration on the right side of my face about two years ago.  I went to see a dermatologist about the problem and he prescribed topical steroids.  I applied the topical steroids to the right side of my face.  One day I noticed some redness on the left side of my face after shaving, and like an idiot I applied the topical steroids to the left side of my face.  I continued to apply the steroids to both sides of my face for two weeks.  Sometimes I would come in from the sun and the areas on my face were I applied the steroids would be bright red.  After I stopped using the steroids I noticed that the redness on both sides of my face was worse than when I started.  I started wondering if the redness was from the type of cleanser I was using.  So, to make things worse, I pretty much stopped washing my face with any kind of cleanser for about six months.  The redness remained and my face felt extremely dry.  Eventually I went back to the dermatologist.  He sent me through five or six laser treatments to get rid of the redness.  They worked pretty well.  Most of the redness is gone.  I still notice some of the redness, especially after I shave or get out of the shower.  It also looks better since I started washing my face again.  Speaking of washing my face.  I started washing my face again with Noxzema.  It took away the dry feeling and made the sides of my face look better, but my nose got pretty red.  So, I started washing my face with an Oil of Olay bar.  It cleared my nose right up, and made the sides of my face look and feel great for about a week.  Then, for some stupid reason, I started using a wash rag instead of my hands.  My skin started peeling after I washed my face.  So, I started using my hands to wash my face again.  My skin still peels, but other than the peeling skin, it doesn't really look any worse.  I basically have two questions.  Will the redness caused by the topical steroids ever go away, or is the damage permanent?  What do I do about the skin peeling on my face?  Is it a result of not washing my face with a cleanser for so long?  Is it a good thing, or a bad thing?  Any kind of information would be helpful.  I'm just tired of the laser treatments and I don't know which products are good for your skin and bad for your skin.  There are so many different products out there any more.  I wish I never would have went to the dermatologist in the first place.  I know they meant well, but I think those topical steroids were the root of all my problems.  Thank you for your time, ryan.