Skin Discoloration above lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Skin Discoloration above lip

For about a year I have had discoloration above my upper lip.  It is a darker color than my skin tone and it makes it look like I have a mustache, but its not hair.  I thought maybe it was from the sun but I was out of the sun all winter and it is still there.  I am worried that it will continue to get worse as we come into summer.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what it might be and how I can fix it?

Thanks!
Avatar dr f tn
Hi.

How old are you?

"Changes in skin color can result from outside causes. For example, skin diseases such as acne may leave dark spots after the condition clears. Other causes of dark spots are injuries to the skin, including some surgeries. Freckles are small brown spots that can appear anywhere on the body, but are most common on the face and arms. Freckles are an inherited characteristic."

Source: http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/hyperpigmentation.html

Differentials for your case will include a sensitivity reaction to certain substances applied on the face (eg cosmetics , creams ,soaps etc).Hormones may also play a role.

Use a mild and bland cleanser to wash the face.Also, always use a sunscreen with at least an spf 15 to protect the face when going out.Always use a sunscreen regardless of the weather.

Do you have any known allergies?
Was this discoloration present for quite some time already?
Avatar n tn
Hi -

I am 27, I smoke, do not wear any makeup, never had acne.  I am allergic to amoxicillian but haven't had that since I was young.  This discoloration has been present for about a year.  I assumed it had something to do with sun exposure, but it still hasn't gone away.  I just wash my face with regular soap and don't use a face cream.  

I am considering seeing a dermatoligist.  I will start using sunscreen to see if it helps as I am out in sun in the summer when I go running.

Any other thoughts?
Avatar n tn
Hi there,

I am in a similar situation -- I'm a year older than you but I have the same problem, after reading that you smoke, I'm wondering if thats whats causing the problem as I also smoke and have noticed it on a friend who smokes. It seems thats the only thing listed that we have in common.
hi, me to. it looks like i have lip liner on top and bottom lip. i noticed it about a 4 months ago, i also smoke but have done for about 15 years( I'm 32) so wouldn't of thought it would be that.its really bugging me !!
Hi Everyone,

I'm almost 26 and this also appeared above my lip a few months ago. I talked to a very helpfull woman at the cosmetics counter and she actually told me it just happens to a lot of women. Our hormones change as we get older and this is a result. She recommended a product to me by NeoStrata. It's a spot lightener. And she said you HAVE to wear sunscreen. No less than 60! Especially because I'm so pale.
Hope that helped. I've using the spot lightener for like, a week and I may have noticed difference, i guess it's hard to tell. But she said it would for sure worked.