Dermatology Expert Forum
Skin Irritation on Scrotum/Ureatha

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Skin Irritation on Scrotum/Ureatha

Dear Doc:  This problem has been going on for some time now (about a month & half).  About a month & a half ago was in a very humid climate & purchased some underwear that was 78% nylon,same day I had protected sex with a girl I didn't know (though I dont believe this is sexual transmitted).  The next morning, I began to have extreme itching on my scrotum and it was very red. I began to apply baby power and wash my genitals with LACTACYD (Lactic Acid, Lactoserum) skin cleanser. I applied the baby power and LACTACYD for about 4 -5 days, about 3-4 times daily.  Symptoms I was having before I went to the Doc:  Swollen meatus only after ejaculation, redness on top portion of urethra/head & red, dry, rugged itchy scrotum.
A little over a month ago I went to the doc and he gave me anti-fungal cream, I applied for 3 weeks, but no change in symptoms, I went back around 3 weeks ago and he prescribed Cortizone 1% cream.  I applied the Cortizone all over my penis, my meatus is no longer swollen after ejac & my Ureatha/head isn't as red anymore, but flares up red after I masturbate and lasts for a few days. My scrotum is still red, dry, rugged skin, almost all itching has ceased.
I'm timed to go back to the Doc because he thinks im making this stuff up, but its hard to deny redness on my urethra/head/scrotum that has persisted there this long.  I'm assuming I got contact dermatitis from the underwear and made my situation worse with the baby powder and LACTACYD?  My question is:  Is this ever going to go away?  Is it possible that I could have this dry/rugged/red skin on my scrotum and redness on my urethra/head for the rest of my life?  Since anti-fungal & cortizone aren't working is there any other medicines for skin irritations you know of I could suggest to the Doc? And any steps I could take to help heal my skin (i.e. apply warm wash cloth daily).  This is really starting to bother me and I'm starting to believe this will never go away.  Please help me, doc.  Thank you.
I think you had eczema, not fungus, which is why the fungus cream didn't work.  The cortisone cream did work, but it doesn't look that way to you, because you still see the leftover redness.  Redness and apparent thickening of thin-skinned penis and scrotum skin can last a long time, sometimes months, but it goes away.  I suggest you not look.  Ask your doctor to send you to a skin doctor for confirmation, if necessary.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff