Skin Pores Merging

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Skin Pores Merging

Years ago, my wife noticed four pores in a tight group in the middle of my back. They would occasionally become inflamed or full of matter much like a pimple. She would obligingly help me by emptying them by squeezing any gunk out of them. Over time, these four pores appear to have merged into a large hole that fills up with foul smelling 'stuff'. Now we periodically have to empty out the hole in my back; there is no pain from it, but it is an annoyance. I have not come across this before, and am looking for advice.

-M
It sounds like a sebaceous cyst. Sebaceous cyst is a closed sac or cyst below the surface of the skin that fills with a fatty white, semi-solid material called sebum produced by sebaceous glands of the epidermis. It is usually painless but can become painful if infected. Then antibiotics are needed.

If the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.