Dermatology Expert Forum
Skin Tags

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Skin Tags

COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO GET RID OF SKIN TAGS AROUND MY NECK AREA I SEEM TO BE A BREEDING GROUND FOR THEM I'VE TRIED CUTTING THEM OFF BUT I STILL KEEP GETTING THEM BACK.IS THERE AN OINTMENT OR A ACID THAT I CAN APPLY TO CHANGE MY CHEMISTRY SO THESE DON'T KEEP BREEDING AROUND MY NECK AND UNDER ARMS PLEASE HELP THANKS PAUL
Paul:

Nope, neither I nor anybody else can "change your chemistry."  People who get numbers of them usually have someone in the family who has or had them too. When you get enough skin tags to bother you, have a dermatologist burn them off all at once.  It's no big deal, and you won't have to do it more often than once every couple of years.

Best.

Dr. R
dont burn them....leaves a scar     freeze them or clip them
I had skin tags cut off several years ago, and they have returned. Is there now an easier way to have them removed?
ive had them burned off, and froze off, but yet they return in more numbers than before, and HOW embarrassing they are. Under the arms,between the legs, and who knows elsewhere. I wonder about the risk of cancer that so many can pose.
Jim:

It is annoying and embarrassing if your body keeps producing these things, but there is NO risk of cancer associated with them.

Dr. R
I've found Compound W will get rid of them sometimes.
ive got the same problem, but Ileft them alone, in ten years it hasnt got worse. maybe leaving them alone wouldkeep it at bay?
please help me determine if i have nits or dandruff
I have cut them off but they do bleed alot and that might scare you.
Paul,
I've tried everything including the high priced dermatologists who tell you its not important- won't kill you and is not worthy of consideration. There is an easy way to deal with skin tags (forget about the scissors route- too painful and won't remove the small ones). Get a toe nail clipper- the large one similar to the fingernail clipper only larger. ( Note: The leverage kind not the scissors kind). You can clip even small skin tags quickly with less pain, in less time and with less courage necessary. I figured this one out on my own when I found the doctor's too expensive and the scissors too painful. Use alcohol or something else to sterilize the clipper before use and take a shower right after. Most of the bleeding will stop shortly thereafter. If necessary apply presssure afterwards and put on a band-aid. Within 5 days there probably will be no evidence that you ever did anything unless you're a keloid former or scar easily. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised. Pass it on and good luck.
in reference to skin tag remove with a white pc. of thread, tie it as cloes to the body as possiable, and tie it in a knot leave it on for overnite or alittle longer, and they just dry up and fall off  no pain or sharp objects to deal with nor any bleeding, done it for years, not problems,
I have had skin tags under my eyes before
I have had several skin tags under my eyes before and i went to a dermatologist to get them taken off. They burned them off and left a scar. Then a month later they came back and there were more of then. The surgery was very painful exspeshly when your eye is being burned and they don't put you to sleep.
Ken Gaulin has the right idea. French friends told me to use a thread on my tags and it worked great nd was not half as painful as freezing, cutting, or burning them off. Also once the tag has fallen off the surounding skin returns to normal very quickly.

Use clean thin strong thread. Pull the tag gently away from the body (easier if you gave a helper) pull the thread tight (this could sting a bit but go slow and the stinging will subside, tighten again).

It is very important that the string be tight. Tags have blood vessels running through them and what you are doing is cutting off the blood supply to them, tight is good. They will start to turn blue in minuets if tight enough and fall off in several days. If they are on the inner thigh put bandaids on them. This will prevent the rubbing from pulling the string off before it has done its job. Works on the face also but not for the same reason.

The best part is it works and its free.

I have skin tags on my inner thighs which can be painful if your  wearing pantyhose.I place round bandaids on them to prevent pulling.
I just read elsewhere on the net that 200 mcg Chromium Picolinate twice daily will make skin tags go away. If I remember correctly, that will also help you lose weight. I'm not a doctor or pharmacist, but I'm willing to try it, for both reasons! Also, if you stop taking the chromium picolinate, it comes back.

Clipping the small ones is easy and painless, though they do bleed like crazy. The large one under my armpit feels like it's a wad of nerves, though, so I think I'll try the string idea for that one.
i have several skin  tags under my arms..i found that castoroil poured on a bandage  and changed every day..its seems to knock several off..but warning ..its messy
I've had a few under my arms (thanks Mom), and I have successfully used the toenail clipper method for th larger ones, and the small ones I just get a good grip on and RIP them away, really fast. Those little ba*tards do bleed, tho. Try a styptic pencil from the drugstore, wet it and rub on the spot. Sometimes stops the bleeding if it isn't too fast. Stings tho.
A related discussion, lil tagger was started.