Skin aggravation and darkening from hydroquinone

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I have been following a hydroquinone based treatment for 2.5 months now. I had dark patches on both sides of my cheeks. I have brown skin. Initially I had to use stieva 0.025 and eldopaque forte cream 4%. They both were to be mixed and applied on the affected areas. I had some adverse reactions to the stieva cream and dropped it. I had to use eumovate cream instead + the eldopaque cream. Lately (some 3 weeks back) I had noticed a large portion of  my right cheek has gone real black and skin which did not have any patches has gone dark as well. I think sun exposure contributed in worsening my skin condition and I want to know if it is possible to have reverse hydroquinone effects. I mean darkening instead of lighting. Please help me...how to get my skin back :(. I am to meet my dermatologist in some days.
It looks like you have melasma on your cheeks. Generally, this type of pigmentation resolves gradually and needs no attention. However, you can use cosmetic preparation that have demelanizing contents or seek a guidance of a dermatologist. Alternately, you have the option of cosmetic laser therapy to help you look better, though it may be a costlier.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hi, thanks for taking your time and replying me. I have been to my derm and apparently I have not been well protected from the sun. I have been given a sunscreen uriage spf 50 and avene peaux intolerantes cream. I have been using sunscreen religiously for 1 month now and I have tried to avoid the sun as much as I could and continued my hydroquinone based treatment but still no sign of improvement. The dark patches are still here and they don't seem to want to leave my face. Can you please elaborate more on requires no attention and the time associated? Should I discontinue the treatment and let it heal naturally? I mean the way I have been behaving lately is really not the person I used to be. I mean I just don't want to go out anymore with the fear of aggravating my skin.
Hydroquinone is not without side effects and has carcinogenic potential also. Treatment options include treatment with vitamin C and hydrocortisone, peel with carbon dioxide snow and alexandrite and ND-Yag Q-Switched laser treatment. Please discuss these options with your dermatologist.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers