Dermatology Expert Forum
Skin biopsy and healing

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Skin biopsy and healing

I had a skin cancer biopsy for the sole of my left foot 3 weeks ago.  Melanoma, of .75 mmm. depth was found.  The biopsy site has not healed though I have used neosporin and have not put much weight on it.  We are eager to see some healing as the surgeon has said if it heals, his surgery will be easier for me.  (I am also dealing with advanced breast cancer.) Is it safe for me to use ichthammol ointment on the biopsy site?
I guess ichthammol would be safe, but I don't see that it will give you any advantage.  I advise you to consult with your surgeon.  It's not clear what you mean by "The biopsy site has not healed."  Is the skin wide open?  Just red?  More than likely, it's doing what it's supposed to be doing, and it's just a question of healing taking longer on taut skin like that on the bottom of the foot.

Good luck.

Dr. Rockoff