Skin care in Summer

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Skin care in Summer

I typically have oily skin although it gets dry when i use harsh cleansers/the weather is cold. Now that it is getting hotter my skin is getting more oily, i was wondering is it still necessary to use a moisturizer in humid weather?
  • oily skin all over (1 replies):
    For the last month I have had really oily skin on my fac...[more]
  • oily skin (1 replies):
    Hi...has anybody got any ideas on how to reduce excess s...[more]
  • oilyy skin (1 replies):
    hey, i am sadzah and i am 14 .i have pimples and thousa...[more]
  • Acne (1 replies):
    I am 55 yrs. old and continuing to have acne flareups. M...[more]
  • Oily skin (2 replies):
    Hello, I'm a 33 year old man, who has suffered from oil...[more]
When the skin turns oily, the oil producing sebaceous glands are overactive and produce more oil than is needed. The oil oozes and gives the skin a greasy shine. It can be caused by heredity, diet, hormone levels, pregnancy, birth control pills and hot and humid weather. Oily skin needs special cleansing with plenty of hot water and soap to prevent the pores from being clogged. Avoid harsh products that strip your skin of oil and encourage flakiness. They can cause a reaction known as reactive seborrhoea, where the oil glands work overtime to compensate for the loss of natural oils.

Avoid skincare products that leave your skin feeling taut and dehydrated. You can use cetaphil and make sure that the rest of the times you wash your face with fresh water. Avoid heavy greasy moisturizers and take a diet rich in proteins but restricted in sugar, fluids and salt. Drink plenty of quality water to keep the skin hydrated and flush out toxins.