Aa
A
A
Close
Skin condition - lips and eyelids peeling, cracking, splitting
Hello all - I'm experiencing these symtoms with the skin on my face:

Lips
cracking and splitting and scabbing and peeling (also itching and stiff and painful at corner. Was strictly at the corners (symmetrical) until a few days ago when it began to spread to my the rest of my lips. The stiffness was bad enough that I could barely open my mouth without the corners splitting and bleeding - making it difficult to speak or eat without first soaking my mouth and softening the scabs.

What I've done so far:
-clean with hydrogen peroxide
-clean with apple cider vinegar
-clean with sea salt water
-treat with ajowan essential oil
-treat with propolis
-treat with tea tree essential oil
-treat with mild hydrocortisone cream
-protect with aloe vera and petroleum jelly balm
-began taking b complex

These treatments have been helping the corners heal, but i'm now experiencing tingling, itchiness and redness on the whole of my lip (evenly) - and when i apply the propolis balm, small droplets of moisture form at ever pore evenly.

Possibilities considered: Herpes (seems unlikely based on research. I've been tested many many times - always negative, I have no 'sores' or concentrated areas); Angular Cheilitis (likely possibility, but would it explain spreading to the center of the lip?) - thereby a nutritional deficiency; Eczema on the mouth; Allergic reaction (to what I'm not yet sure);

Potentially relevant factors:
-I have a history of eczema (though has generally been at the crease in my elbows, knees and central abdomin
-I'm a gluten free vegan with virtually no intake of refined sugars

Simultaneous condition on Eye Lids:
-peeling, cracking, swelling, redness, itchiness on upper eye lids, concentrated in the inner corners
-treated with a blend of soothing essential oils (mixture of evergreen blend, lavender and almond oil) - temporary help

Potentially relevant factors:
-Worsens after crying

Many many thanks to anyone who can help. (Also worth noting: I tend to use natural products whenever at all possible). I would love to know the cause - as it's becoming very uncomfortable and also, admittedly, a bit embarrassing.
Cancel
1 Answers
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
563773 tn?1374250139
Hello,
The symptoms are suggestive of cheilitis skin. Since you have a history of eczema, it has become more pronounced. Eczema of the lip area is common in those who have sensitive, dry skin that is prone to allergies or have a history of eczema or asthma.
I recommend you see your dermatologist for proper treatment, as that may combine an anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and anti-yeast meds and that you use just plain petroleum jelly for moisturizing. This is particularly important right before bedtime.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Comment
Cancel
563773 tn?1374250139
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources