Skin damaged by excessive hydrocortisone use

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I suffered from facial eczema when I was younger. I used hydrocortisone cream for a number of years to areas where it was particularly bad, which included my nose and forehead. Now the skin is visibly thinned to my nose, usually appearing red, and is constantly susceptable to spots due to the skins natural resistance weakened. It also become very greasy within hours and requires regular washing to prevent further spots. I have tried various creams but without much success.

Is there anything that I can do to help the skin on my nose to thicken and improve its resistance to infection/spots?
What you seem to be having is called steroid induced rosacea. Steroid induced rosacea is an adverse effects of using steroids. Some patients develop steroid-induced rosacea within weeks of applying a topical steroid; others may not experience it for years.

You can use tacrolimus ointment for this.Using this rosacea often resolves the itch, redness, and tenderness of steroid-induced rosacea in 7 to 10 days with twice daily application. Complete clearing of steroid-induced rosacea usually takes 1 to 2 months. Sometimes clearing takes a bit longer. Avoiding rosacea triggers, such as caffeine, spicy foods, and alcohol, also may help clear the skin.But pls don’t worry as it is not a permanent condition.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Warm regards.
Hi, yes i beleive that skin can be traumatised and damaged by being exposed to certain chemicals (this includes chemical peels, microdermabrasion and possibly laser treatments).  I use only natural products and organic where possible.  A good natural oil that will help repair traumatised and damaged skin and also fade scarring is JOJOBA OIL.  This oil is easily absorbed by the skin and because it resembles the skin's natural oil (sebum)  regulates the skin's oil production and so is very suitable for all skin types.
The beauty of this oil (and it is often termed a 'beauty oil') is that it will repair and build the outer layer of skin over time and thus make it less thin, fragile and sensitive.   Jojoba oil balances the skin and it will treat both the oily areas and pimples while deeply moisturising the dry patches.

I have been using Jojoba Oil for 3 months now and my skin is more balanced than it has ever been.   It was flushed and fragile and very sensitive 2 months ago but in time and with consistent use of natural and organic skin products, it has slowly healed.   You need patience and to allow time to heal, so please give any new skin product at least two WEEKS  to work.  With consistent use, you will notice good results in 2 -4 MONTHS.

Best of luck :=)
Hi I am traumatized with my skin condition for more than 4 yrs now, I have done several surgeries and used lots of steroids by the way of creams as well as pills on the recommendation of my dermatologist, I have spend a fortune trying to get a clear by taking skin my face and neck and very dark compared to my chest which is embarrassing as I can't wear anything which has a low neckline. I have tried ayurvedic as well as lots of creams to correct this issue of discoloration and hyper pigmentation but nothing helps. I am 26yrs old and want to get married adn I dont know what to do as no doctor whoever I have consulted has helped me till date plz suggest me something that can give me results and which doesnot contain kojic acid or hydroquenine.
Hello Dr Kaur, The same problem of thinning the skin due to over use of strong steroids creams on my scrotum's skin with me, when i was treating by dermatologists for a problem of contact dermatitis.You prescribed about a tacrolimus ointment but i need to know is there is a greater risk of skin cancer due to use of tacrolimus ointment 0.1 or 0.03? Do you think that a lacitc acid based cream 5% or 6% with urea 10% can be used safely on skin folding area,i mean on scrotum and penis(on a thin skin under the head)skin? I have also told by a dermatologist that hydrocortisone is not a steroid.Its a very mild potency and anyone can use if safely for the rest of life.
Kyle