Skin discoloration on my son's neck

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Skin discoloration on my son's neck

My 9 year old has had some weird discoloration of the skin on his neck. For awhile I thought it was dirt that he didnt rub off.  It has been like that for over 6 months and now it is spreading to his chest.  It is really rough to the touch.  It looks like someone painted brown paint on his neck then stretched the skin out.  It is hard to describe.   He also has a few cafe au lait spots on his pelvis area, but there are only 3 and are about the size of a nickel.  What can I do about the neck & chest? What is going on with his skin?
From the symptoms it looks like tinea versicolor. Tinea versicolor is a common skin infection caused by the yeast Malassezia furfur. This skin disease commonly affects adolescents and young adults, especially in warm and humid climates.

Treatment involves topical and oral antifungal medicines. Most cases respond to over-the-counter products, which contain any of several basic ingredients: miconazole, tolnaftate, terbinafine,ketaconazole and clotrimazole. You can consult a pharmacist and get any cream or lotion containing these ingredients. If the symptoms persist then oral antifungals may be needed. A dermatologist’s consultation will be the best.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.