Skin discoloration on penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Skin discoloration on penis

6982261?1307907243
There is a skin discoloration on my penis that started out fading gradually about two years ago and now it is completely white, I am too embarrassed to go to the doctor because of its location, what is this and what should I do?
This can be due to penile vitiligo, lichen sclerosus or balanitis xerotica obliterans. Vitiligo is a pigmentation disorder in which melanocytes (the cells that make pigment) in the skin are destroyed. The exact cause is not known but a genetic or hereditary predisposition has been seen.

Lichen sclerosis appears as white plaques on the glans (glands), foreskin or shaft of the penis. It usually has no symptoms, although burning and irritation have been reported. Balanitis xerotica obliterans is a severe form of lichen sclerosis affecting the foreskin of uncircumcised men.

I suggest you a dermatologist’s evaluation to confirm the diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hi, thanks for query.
You must visit the doctor. The reason for discoloration needs to be known and condition need to be diagnosed. Your doctor may advise sending scrapping for laboratory examination’s  to rule out skin infection.  Other skin condition like vitiligo needs to look for too.