Dermatology Community
Skin discoloration
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Skin discoloration

Dear members,

For the past few days I have noticed 'discolored' patches on my beige coloured Asian skin. The spot is like a random patch that was first visible under the right eye. I now see similar patches, near my mouth, one on my nose and may be other places on my chin and cheeks. No one else seems to notice them, its just me, Either I am completely freaked out or I am looking too close and seeing what others do not. Either ways, has anyone noticed similar condition? Does anyone know the VERY FIRST signs of Vitiligo. I am 34... it may just be my ageing (aging) skin but I am very very scared.
Thanks,
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi,
How are you? What other symptoms are present? Vitiligo usually presents with  flat areas of normal-feeling skin without any pigment appearing suddenly or gradually. The areas have a darker border and the edges are well defined but irregular. It usually affects the face, elbows and knees, hands and feet, and genitals. The risk increases if you have history of  autoimmune diseases such as Addison's disease, hyperthyroidism and pernicious anemia. Direct physical examination and skin biopsy may be done  to rule out other causes of pigment loss and presence of fungal infection. A wood's lamp may also help. Take care and do keep us posted.
Blank
Thank you doctor. There are no other symptoms. Its normal skin, patches have no edges for as far as I know but they are irregular in shape. Its at different places on my face like a patch of faded skin. I am on business in UK, with no access to health care. The paramedic did not let me see a doctor after the initial examination ... according to her its not a fungal infection but doesn't look like vitiligo "yet". How long does it take to spread? Is there a way to control if still nascent?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...