Skin feel like it is splitting open but there is no wound, rash, mark o...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Skin feel like it is splitting open but there is no wound, rash, mark or bruise

About 2 months ago I developed an area to the left of my right knee that sometimes feels like the skin has split open but when I look there is nothing there.  The pain usually comes when my legs are covered in fabric pants, pjs, etc. and I bend my knee and the fabric rubs the area.  The pain feels like the skin has split open and I always expect to see blood but there is never anything there.  Is this serious and should I see a doctor.
One of the possibilities for your symptoms is chafing. Chafing occurs when the skin becomes irritated by the friction caused by rubbing – either against other skin or against a foreign material. Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin.Also wear cotton undergarments.Application of mild corticosteroid cream and oral antiinflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful.If the symptoms are severe then it will be best to consult a dermatologist. Also then fibromyalgia which presents with tactile allodynia has to be ruled out.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.