Skin feels raw, but no rash
For years I've been having occasional episodes where small areas of my skin feel sore and tender. It tends to be on my torso somewhere, but I think I've experienced it on my upper legs and rear end as well.  Right now it's an area starting at my spine below my ribcage, and wrapping around my side to the front a bit. It's a sensation that my skin is raw, as if it's been scraped or carpet-burned.  Any contact with the area feels exactly as if I'm touching raw tender skin (probably less painful) and the discomfort seems to be just skin-deep.  There is never a rash or injury of any kind, and I can't trace it to any kind of lifestyle thing, activity, detergent, etc.  It's been going on for years, never lasts more than a few days, and is never more than mildly annoying.  It hasn't killed me yet, so I'm really not concerned that something's terribly wrong, but I'd like to know what it is and if anyone else has ever experienced it.  
I had it on both sides, too. Ask for a vitamin d deficiency blood test.
I have had the same symptoms for the past six months. The burning type of feeling in the lower left side of my back, about the size of my palm. I comes and goes and it lasts about 2-3 days. I believe Vitamin D deficiency might be related (read other posts where they had the same vitamin deficiency). I had some blood work done a couple of weeks ago, and was told to take 5000 IU of Vitamin D a day. I will let you know if it worked (on my 3rd day taking the suplement).
Wow, 5000iu, I'm in the uk and my doc has only put me on 800iu. Having said that, my skin is completely fine now. I'm just exhausted :(
I am so glad I scrolled all the way down to the bottom! I have been having the same symptoms for years and had not been able to find any info on it. After reading about half of the comments here, I became discouraged and left the page. So glad I decided to come back and see the most recent posts.

A few months ago, I went to the doctor because I was feeling fatigued. They did blood tests, and the only abnormality found was a vitamin D deficiency. I was also told to take 5000IU. I admit that I have not been taking them regularly, but now I will definitely start.

I guess this means we don't all have herpes!

I will post an update in a few weeks, and I hope you all will do the same.
Yes please do, I'm intrigued to find out if you'll be recovered like me.
All -
I had similar problem, but unlike most of you I got scared and disheartened when I saw this post. Around a little over 2 months I felt slight burning/raw skin feeling in my groin: right side near where leg joins torso. I looked closely and there was nothing visible on my skin. I ignored it for a week and thought it's nothing. After a week I started applying stuff such as aloe vera, over the counter hydrocortisone, lotramin, etc., but nothing helped. I met a PA after 2 weeks. She said it was just irritated skin and asked me to apply prescribed hydrocortisone 2.5 twice a day. I started to feel better in a couple of weeks but them it came back after I went to gym for 3 days. That's when I ran into this post and got scared. After that I went to a dermatologist and a neurologist and nothing helped. I was scared to my death at this time.
Long story short, last week I saw another dermatologist and he analyzed my skin properly and concluded that it's yeast/fungal infection, which was not clearly visible on the skin. He prescribed me with an ointment and a medication. I have been taking it for last 7 days, and I am almost recovered; I would say 90%. I discussed with him about vitamin D deficiency, and he said that my case is a little different from that, but vitamin D deficiency can cause similar symptoms. I also asked me about herpes and he said that not at all.
I hope everyone who is going thru this feels better soon I hope it's either yeast or vitamin d deficiency even for you guys as those are totally curable. Reach out to me in case you seek any details; I would be really happy if I can help even one of you to come out of this frustration.

ab
What medication did your doc prescribe ?
I have suffered from the symptoms everyone is describing for close to 30 years. I have been to countless doctors over the years and none of them have ever been able to help, Unfortunatley over the last year these "attacks" have been happening more frequently and are getting worse and worse. I literally have pain on the entire right side of my body and I feel weak and shaky.

After not visiting a doctor for years because of the generally dismissive reaction I have had in the past I decided this weekend to go back and see if anything can be done. I just can't live with it like this any more! I have to find out what is wrong.

I started the process today with blood tests and have been referred to a neurologist. The last time I saw a neurologist I got nowhere but that was 10 years ago. The doctor I saw today said that there have been huge advances in the neurology field in the last 10 years, so he is hopeful that they will be able to find a cause.

I will let you all know if I get any results!
Hi Konabean,
I have only just found this site, and I also have the same symptoms... have you considered that another difference when pregnant is your body has a higher level of oestrogen. Maybe that might be the worth investigating. I have had this condition for many years except when on hormone replacement treatment. I never picked up on that until I read your mention of being pregnant...
HealthAddict22
It has already been mentioned in several places but still hundreds of you ignore it and go on speculating. This is 100% HSV2 Herpes Virus. Many of you will not want to hear this but it IS the cause of your symptoms. End of ! I am a doctor specialising in Dermatology.
Interesting, considering that I have experienced the same skin pain/discomfort since I was a young child, with the first memorable episode occurring in 1972.  I didn't have chicken pox until approximately 1977.  I have never been diagnosed with HSV2, either.  Looks like you did disprove the myth of doctors being the ultimate fount of knowledge, however, so cheers for that...
You can't even spell specializing right.  Come on now! As a doctor,  you should know that each case is unique and can't be diagnosed without a physical exam.  Shame on you! Either you're lying about being a doctor,  or you ate a terrible one who shouldn't even have a license to practice.
are*
then can you explain why I had these symptoms on and off for at least 8 years before I contracted HSV2? If anything, I used to get these symptoms (which I have always called "nervy patches") worse before I contacted H (it was very clear and obvious when I got H, BTW). I'm not being facetious, I really want to know...  
So I know it may sound kind of funny, but I really think I know what this is. The problem is that people may not like the answer as a whole.

The disease that almost everyone in this forum is talking about (except for those who suffer the symptoms as a result from a non-neurological disorder like herpes, shingles, lupus, etc.) is  a combination of fibromyalgia (also called fibrositis) and tactile allodynia; these are neurologically based pain disorders that cause visually imperceptible pain (i.e. you can't see a rash or marks but the pain is there).

Now, the problem with fibromyalgia and tactile allodynia is that people respond to the fibromyalgia treatments differently, so there really is no "magic cure." You would have to go discuss a plan of action for treatment with a doctor who's familiar with fibromyalgia (because that's another thing, not all doctors will look at fibromyalgia "as a real thing;" they might just think you're making up symptoms). From there they can help you make a personalized treatment plan. Here's some basic fibromyalgia treatment info, but I would encourage you to do some research on your own, consult a doctor, and take into consideration what medications you may already know do or do not work for you:

*Prescription*
Muscle relaxant: Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril )
Other treatments: Sertraline (Zoloft), Gabapentin (Neurontin), Venlafaxine (Effexor), Duloxetine (Cymbalta), Amitriptyline, Pregabalin (Lyrica), Milnacipran (Savella), Fluoxetine (Prozac), Paroxetine (Paxil)

*Self-treatment*
Anti-inflammatory: Naproxen
Pain reliever: Acetaminophen (Tylenol)

*Also common*
Lifestyle: Physical exercise, Stress management, Stretching, Relaxation techniques
Therapies: Support group, Biofeedback, Cognitive behavioral therapy, Hydrotherapy, Graded exercise therapy, Massage, Acupuncture
Other treatments: Chiropractic treatment techniques
Also, the fact that many people in this forum talk about how they are in their 40s and up already and just now discovering it fits perfectly with fibromyalgia, because that's typically the demographic affected. That doesn't mean that younger people can't get it, it just means that it's more common in older adults than young adults.

I would not advise looking to each other for prescribed medication names because like I said, fibromyalgia doesn't have a cure; there is no one medication that will make everyone feel better, because people respond differently to some medications.

I did want to mention some of the treatments for tactile allodynia, though; I left it out of my other post:

Mexiletine
Lidocaine (IV/topical)
Tramadol
Morphine (IV)
Alfentanil (IV)
Ketamine (IV)
Methylprednisone (intrathecal)
Adenosine
Glycine antagonist
Desipramine
Venlafaxine
Lyrica
Adenosine (IV)
Gabapentin (may also be helpful in cold and dynamic allodynias)
Thanks for the information. Been dealing with this off and on for most of my life (56 now). I'm regularly tested for many things due to other health problems but this seems to identify best with the symptoms, especially since I have a very active brain (EEG shows violent activity). The brain may be the trigger but the symptoms are the same. No identifiable diseases mentioned here are the cause. Now to figure out what works treating it. Another doctors appointment is in store for me!
LJ
I'm a 46 year old woman and I have been suffering from this condition for many years now.  Doctors I have seen have no clue about this ailment so I know exactly what you all are speaking of, most of the time mine lasts for a week or so during the colder weather conditions.  I've searched hi-&-lo and I've read that it has to do with our nerve endings becoming aggravated.  Recently met a lady that mentioned to try using Glycerin liquid with equal parts of water and pour over the aggravated area(s).  I've tried it and it has been helpful, so think about giving it a try.
Yesterday I also started getting the rug burn feeling on the inside of my left arm. It is miserable when clothes (or something) touches that area. I have neuropathy (Sjogrens syndrome) so don't have feeling in either leg from the knee down, but the past few days, been getting a feeling like a hair being pulled under the skin in my legs. Figured that was neurological, so thought maybe the rug burned arm was, too since it happened at the same time.  The link below says that neuropathy can be caused by "Infections - damage can be caused to peripheral nerves by some infections including shingles, HIV infection and Lyme disease."  Interesting how others commented on shingles and Lyme disease being a culprit of this non-rash skin thing, too, maybe an infection brings it on.
Update: Mine did turn into shingles about 6 days after the rug burn feeling started. Now have rash on left arm, left chest and back.
Here's the link: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/147963.php#what_causes_neuropathy
Wow, count me as another. The better half thought I was nuts. Early 40's male in decent shape. Mine seemed to start about a week ago after I got a haircut...not sure if a connection, just saying. I have the sensation on the left side near my underarm and lat. I also have the sensation on my scalp, if I touch certain areas of my hair on the left side...weird.  A couple days later I got an ear ache which I haven't had in about 30 years and some tenderness behind the ear that seems to run down the jaw line, but the lymph node near there isn't sore or swollen. Again, weird to me.

Haven't been to Doc, and probably won't unless it sticks around or gets worse. I'm wondering if either some type of virus connected to the ear ache or as someone mentioned above, a fungal thing, perhaps from unsanitary instruments at barber.  Very weird and hate to say I'm glad I'm not alone, just wish someone could give a better diagnosis.

Oh, I have had chicken pox when younger, but no other virus (herpes), etc. Stress has been moderate and sleep has been less than good. I prob need to up Vit D as only at 1500 iu in multi. It is also warmer than normal here in the northeast, so wondering about allergies as well.
its such arelief to see someone else has my same symptoms. im hoping i can also take valtrex and it will go away. so its happened before to you? i had for a while and went away for about two weeks and then boom out of nowhere it started again. just feels relief hearing it from someone else. thnak you. happy holidays and hopefully we can get over it soon. =)
I'm convinced that this is the answer. See

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3076592/
I had these symptoms since I was a teen, way before I even kissed a guy.
I'm 52 years old and have had these pains since I was about 13 yrs old. The doctor then called it "growing pains". Even then I knew that wasn't the answer. I describe mine as a rug burn feel - or from when we were kids - Indian Rope Burn (hopefully that doesn't offend, I don't know it by any other name) but it's when someone pust both hands on your arm and twisted in opposite directions. I've seen a lot possibilities on here but I have one that I have not seen posted and you should check out. I will post the link at the bottom.  On another note that is interesting is that I was diagnosed with very low vitamin D....but I haven't been having the pain recently, so not sure that's the real answer.  But I ran across something today called "Dysesthesia " .  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysesthesia
I have the same carpet burn feeling or like sparklers against my skin.  It is on my whole body .   Can't stand any kind of rough textured material to touch me.  We have all smooth leather furniture for me.  This is a symptom of fibromyalgia.  I had this symptom long before being diagnosed with fibromyalgia.    It just gets worse with time.
Mine is in the same area as yours.  Will keep reading down the thread to see if anyone has found answers!
I have this, too!  I can't figure out what is going on.  It started over a month ago.  A burning sensation in the area of the right clavicle.  It seems to be a little bit better, but it's sensitive to the rubbing of clothing and to sunlight.  I was standing in the kitchen the other day and the sunlight coming through the window, (and through my clothes), was almost unbearable.  I have no rash, or marks of any kind.  I noticed that one of the above posts mentioned inflammation in the body, and I have had a sudden recurrence of severe osteoarthritis inflammation.  I suffer from several auto-immune disorders, so I'm convince that this is also auto-immune.  If anyone has info, please do contact me.  ***@****  Thanks!
Same for me. Any ideas/ prognosis or diagnosis? Lack of sleep? Late nights? Stress at work? I have these.
Been having the same symptoms off and on since I was in my early teens. Long before I became sexually active.  My pain radiates from under the breast and wraps around where a bra would rest.  At first I thought it was my detergent I was having a reaction to seeing as it was only where my bra sat but the older I have gotten it has been recurring more often.  It hurts the most when something cold touches it.  Seeing as I am currently breast feeding it is very difficult to endure the touch of my baby while she feeds.  More recently I have also been having pain in my right shoulder blade and pain on the right side of my chest exactly opposite from one another.  This pain almost feels like muscle discomfort and I don't have it unless I have the skin burning sensations.  I can't say that lack of sleep and/or stress is a cause for my discomfort as nothing seems to be an exact trigger.  These episodes are sporadic and come when they please.  Like others on this forum I have not been to the doctor for fear of them brushing this off as something in my head.  Still not certain if I will or just make the best of things unless it gets worse.
I am so glad I found this thread. I have had episodes of this on and off for years. I generally get the pain on my hips/back/thighs, so mid-torso area. The feeling of a sunburn is a great description. I almost can't walk, can't stand clothes rubbing on the affected areas, etc. I am in my late 40s and otherwise healthy. I just had a full checkup including hormone panels and everything is normal. A bit disheartening there isn't more to do other than ride it out. My episodes last a few days usually.
I'm 28yo and have had this tender skin pain on my left waist for over a week. It comes and goes throughout the years. feels like a carpet burn or something. makes it hard to work and sleep sometimes forced to lay on my other side. I'm too stubborn to go to the doctor mostly because i know he will have no idea what it is and id'e rather not waste my time. I always just google everything and most of the time time find an answer. i'm glad i found this thread with recent entries :)
THESE ARE NON SPECIFIC SYMPTOMS OF PRICKLY ITCHY SKIN BURNING SENSATIONS , sometimes or most times without any rash in adults.
These are caused by viral infections of CMV, EBV and/or parvovirus.
They are supposed to go away, but due to immune malfunction they can linger on for years.
Can a person be tested for parvovirus?
This is new to me ! And I've been experiencing this since 2 days now.  On the right side and the back of my waist line I feel something wrong. The skin burns when comes in contact with any kind of touch, be it hand or cloths. No rashes or marks found. I tried rubbing ice on the affected area but it didn't help.
Please let me know the cure in case someone knows it. :(
Okay crazy. I've had this before and just noticed it again! My skin is clear but it feels like I have a sunburn and my cat is scratching it. That's all I can compare it to... Or an open cut with lemon juice or alcohol poured on it. I've had EBV. The tender/sore skin is under my left arm bicep. The pain is accompanied by breast pain. Does ANYONE know what this is!?
I too have this from time to time - thought I was "crazy" as no one I know of has ever experienced it.  It is weird that is comes and goes and only lasts a few days...it is tolerable, but annoying just the same.  Mine comes over different body parts - and I have described it as a sunburn feeling without a rash or redness...it does feel better when applying a cooling wash rag to it.  I wonder what it is, but have never been told the answer.
oh this does make sense, since I do have fibromyalgia...so, these times when this occurs I will no longer think I am "crazy" - for these problem areas that come and go and only last temporarily. It is annoying but not fatal I guess.  It is just a weird sensation, similar to a sunburn without the redness and it is limited to a small area and comes to different parts of the body at different times.
Had this for a week. Started as an aching feeling across lower back that becomes a burning as it gets worse.  then moved round side /hip and down front  of thigh. Predominantly left side. but followed lesser on right side. Doc. thinks it may be following Dermatome L5. Some marked loss of fine sensation in patches on hip/buttock skin.
Older Doc thinks I'm making it up, till a slight redening   appeared on trunk. No rash or vesicles, just a darkening.   1 Paracetemol (500mg) every 3 hours keeps it bearable. Seems to be moving slowly up spine, first the ache (worst when lying on it) which then becomes burning on the skin.
Am thinking : either a virus reactivating in the a Dorsal root ganglia (spine) aka shingles, or a slipped Lumbar disc, arthritis in pelvis, or intestinal disease now irritating or demyelinating the nerves passing through.
Thankful for Paracetemol which keeps me going by day & lets me sleep at night but moving like an old man all of a sudden, from the aches & burning.
So strange!  About a week ago, I remember getting into bed and fidgeting.  I could not get comfortable!  My husband asked me what was wrong and I said, "My skin hurts!"  It has now been 10 days and there is no change in the feeling.  If anything, it seems to have spread a bit.  Very interesting to read the posts on this thread.  The area is on the left side of my lower back and upper buttocks, and also on the outside of my left thigh.  No rash, just that raw feeling and it is uncomfortable to sit all day at work.  My husband had shingles a long time ago (before I met him) and I asked him how it came on.  He only remembered a blister (around waist) and it spread from there.  He didn't recall the soreness before the blister.  I've begun a regimen of B-Complex and l-Lysine.  If I see an improvement, I will post here.
That's the same spot my pain is. Started yesterday with a slight pain in the morning then progressed to worse pain as the day went on. Now I have a burning like sensation on theft butt cheek, lower left back and some hip. My mom had shingles a while back so now I'm concerned it might be that. Apparently it can take weeks for any other sign to show up but if I still have an issue on day 5 will seek out a doctor.
The first time I came out, burning pain woke me between the collarbone and neck. I rushed to the emergency room and told me it was stress because tenderness of my stomach, I said it was gastrocolitis. And that the collarbone was tension.
I returned a week and I was told I could be a contracture.
I came back one week later and took me radiography, which had nothing in bone or see anything in the chest or neck. I got ibuprofen.
I went to another doctor and he told me I could be a neuritis, I prescribe diclofenac and B complex
Then I went to do an ultrasound and the radiologist found nothing, until suddenly told me that a ganglion looked to one side of the subclavian vein 7 3 mm.
Back to my hospital, and Dr. told me that was bringing a big stress and prescribed fluoxetine and alprazolam. ME command to do an ultrasound auqnue told him that I already had, but I agendaron until Oct. 1 (I was the August 1).
My acquaintances general practitioners have told me that it may be arthritis, a sentinel node, lymphoma, lupus, bone, thyroid (Because ultrasound said that my thyroid was asymmetrical, with a smaller lobe, and two cysts in each, but the thyroid profile is fine).
I went with an internist friend who sent me to the analytical tests, biometrics is fine, blood chemistry is good, only creatinine is 200. The VSG is 20 and PCR 8.5
The EGO left me with esterase positive laucocitaria, so I explained that it could be due to the ESR and CRP.
Albumin, Globulin even within parameters.
Profile hepatic good.

The case is that the ball grows and it's not ... It hurts with the touch of clothing and heat sometimes. It seems among which is part of the bone and slightly swollen tmb. On the right side ..
Profile hepatic good.

I am experiencing this exact same thing. I have been describing the symptoms almost word for word. I'm having a very painful episode on my hip right now, and I was wondering if you ever found an answer?
I have this too for a year or so now. I currently have one near my Inner leg and one on the thigh/buttock almost. It varies though usually its my arm. I have recently been diagnosed with Gilberts Syndrome and there are so so many symptoms with this that I am wondering if this is one.
I've had the same sensation/symptoms that were brought up originally since childhood at seemingly random times on random patches of skin (never hands, feet, or face, though). The sensation usually goes away in a day, but the current bout is in its third day. I've never asked a doctor because it always goes away well before any appointment and it certainly does not constitute a medical emergency. Some understanding would be nice, however.
I have been battling with this exact burning - sunburn sensation for 14 days. it mostly occurs in the evening but there were days that it started earlier in the evening. Feels like razor burn on face, arms, buttocks mostly About the 3rd day, I noticed a cough which progressed to a sore throat, which got my attention
I went to my Psychiatrist because I thought my SSRI pooped out, but when I popped a klonopin it did nothing for the burning but I was calmer
I went to Patient First( Horrible place) and my BP was 160/90 and I never have issues. In the morning it was normal They said I had a low grade infection and perhaps the
burning skin was part of that. Gave me pregnisone and Zithromax and my anxiety was full tilt and developed a horrible cold/ cough. Stopped the antibiotics and I am at day 14 with burning skin, a cough/cold
This is all too weird!
Could I have a virus type thing that is causing this? not shingles had the shot-
Stopped the meds as they made me insane!

Google

Zoster Sine Herpete

I just started having this in my inner thigh....feels just like everyone said.  Sunburn, carpet burn rash.
I am 47 - Female
I also had Bels Palsy as a teen and chicken pox as a child.
Hi, I have the burning sensation, like some clothes have been rubbing against the skin or something similar. No rash or other visible symptoms. I'm wondering if it could be related to low vitamin B12 values? I think I'm low on B12 and have many symptoms, and then I suddenly realized, one symptom of low B12 is burning sensation on skin! Hope this can help some of you! Try some B12 and see if it goes away!
Hi, I am 42 and I have had the same burning sensation just 2 inches right of my belly button. It is sensitive when I touch and no rash. As Siritorg suggests, I consulted my family doctor and said this could be due to two reasons, one is Hypertension or Low B12 which I have. Also said that this sensitivity cold move around and need not be confined only to waist. Suggested me to have methylcobalamin 1500 MCG daily. I have just ordered online. Let me see if this helps.
There is an article on health line that has 29 possible causes of burning sensations. Some are not at all close to what has been described here in this post but others may be a bit closer (http://www.healthline.com/health/burning-sensation

It sounds like in general people the first few years of this post are hypothesizing:

1) something related to shingles/herpes like zoster sine herpete (shingles without the rash) which if you have had the chicken pox you have the shingles virus in you as I understand.
2) b12 issues: Another idea is nerve pain brought on related to B12 either  as being deficient or as a treatment.
People have also suggested stress/lack of sleep and a relation to B12.
Pernicious anemia (low red blood cells due to inability to absorb b12) or  Vitamin B 12 deficiency
3) Another idea: Lyme Disease
4) Fibromyalgia
5) Allodynia- (copied from a previous post) It comes from a malfunction of specialized nerves, called nociceptors, that sense information about things like temperature and painful stimuli right at the skin. For some reason, our nociceptors start telling our brains that just about any sensation is painful. Researchers believe is part of the central sensitization associated with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and a handful of other conditions. 

You can read all about it at http://chronicfatigue.about.com/b/2009/03/07/painful-to-touch-fibromyalgia-tactile-allodynia.htm 

Allodynia and there is are a few different types eg. tactile allodynia and mechanical allodynia.  I am almost certain this is it.  One of the posts I read said Neurofen or Naproxen really helps.

Other online searches bring up:
6) Radiculopathy (pinched nerve  in the spine),
7) Neuralgia (myelin damage),
8) Peripheral neuropathy ( affects nerves outside the brain and spine like carpel tunnel (thumb and inner fingers) and ulnar nerve (outer fingers), numb arms or legs, etc). Some note a burning feeling.
9) Peripheral vascular disease (blood vessels outside the heart and brain to narrow, block or spasm, pain and fatigue with exercise most often in legs, pain improves with rest),
10) Cervical spondylosis (neck arthiritus),
11) Multiple sclerosis (deteriorated myelin),
12) Megaloblastic anemia (large and few red blood cells), 13) Ulnar nerve palsey (outer finger numbness can go up to shoulder, pain, muscle weakness, fine motor movements, hand weakness increased with activity, burning in hand, loss of grip strength)

Not sure if any of this helps. I am trying to figure out my own symptoms and this is the info I have run across so far.  

I started having similar symptoms 1.5 years ago had a burning pain on my left buttock that felt like a minor sunburn with some occasional prickling, it went away after 2 months. Now it's back again. I've had an emg, X-rays of my hip, and three herpes tests. All were negative.

My mom introduced me to a book by Anthony Williams called Medical Medium where he discussed the Epstein Barr virus and shingles virus in depth. He's a medical medium but He describes a lot of your symptoms on this thread and gives foods and supplements that help boost your immune system to fight off the virus. It is very spiritual so it's not for everybody. I myself am a little bit of a skeptic but to those that are willing to try anything, it's worth looking into. I am gonna try the food and supplements and see how it goes. Will post to let you guys know!
Hey guys, has anyone been checked for sciatica?
I think I have read each comment on this thread and it's amazing how many of us have almost identical descriptions of the pain.

Just a quick descritpion of my episodes: usually can sense a deeper, vague pain on day one, maybe two, then it progresses to the surface of the skin, only on one side of my body, typically an extremity (usually lower half). My pain, for sure, is described well by saying "bad sunburn or rugburn". Almost 100% of the time it's my buttock on one side, then down the back of the thigh and sometimes the front of the thigh. This episode it has  done the usual, but went down the front of my knee, just under it and then down the left side of my calf and left side of my foot. Those sensations are gone now at day 3, but I have it in the higher parts of that thigh in the front.

From all the links and searching on my own, the very best explanation I can come up with is zoster sine herpete. Basically "shingles without the rash". Has everyone who has this had chickenpox at some point in their lives? I have, when I was a child. Very interesting condition. And, an elusive one to be identified, it seems!
Ugh, been a couple weeks for me. :( THIS.IS.AWFUL. Few people take me seriously. I also sweat a lot so that makes it truly unbearable.
Yes I have had it for about a week now and it's just on the lower part of my shoulder. It's really annoying and almost really hurting.
K now I am in pain and I want to know how to get rid of this!!! Now please!!!
See my response below -- 2Dbunk, 9-23-17
2Dbunk, 9-23-17

8-days ago I posted the following, what I thought is a solution to the many people suffering this fiery irritation.  Today I'm completely recovered from the malady, so I'm repeating what I posted then:

2Dbunk,9-16-17

I've read most of the 136 answers and have come across a treatment for my tender, left inner thigh.  I'm 78 and never experienced this before. I don't know what caused it -- I'm a sun worshipper, have 1 to 2 alchohol drinks a day, and  havevery few allergies.

It started about 2 weeks ago and had been very annoying and painfull. I tried several hand creams and skin soothers to no success.

My wife (highly allergic to bee and wasp stings) suggested using some of her Hydrocortisone cream (OTC) in combination with one of her Hydroxyzine HCL 25mg tablets (Rx) that recently expired.  I did this for 3 or 4 days and noticed relief within the second day -- at first the fiery skin evolved to an itchy skin but the next day the itch went away 'til I'm almost normal.  I still apply the cream if I feel it's coming back.

IT WORKS so far.  I think both the cream and tablets are anti-histamines.  Good luck!
                                          2Dbunk
9/16/2017
I started having the 'sunburn' feeling just over a month ago.  I initially tried various creams to see if it was dry skin, but things didn't improve so startd searching the internet.

I saw the comments regarding vitamin B12 deficiency, and looking into this I noted that a symptom can be a low iron count.  Having being diagnosed with a low iron count in the past (following year of giving blood) I decided to test this idea and bought some multivitamin pills (making sure that they included B12 and iron).  I noticed an improvement after about 4-5 days, and now after 2 weeks the 'sunburn' is nearly gone.

If you haven't already done so, then I'd suggest it's certainly worth trying for the sake of a couple of quid.
Blimey!  I have exactly this too.  Started a few weeks ago across my buttocks, lasted about a week.  Felt like bruising and was quite painful, not agony, but painful and annoying.  It disappeared and then a week or so later I got the same sensation on my right thigh, again it lasted about a week and the gradually cleared itself up.  No visible marks, rash or anything.  Then about a week ago the exact same sensation but this time in my under-arm and around my shoulder and into my chest area.  It’s really annoying.  Will try some vitamin D supplement and see if that does the trick.
Sorry for the double post!