Skin feels raw, but no rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Skin feels raw, but no rash

For years I've been having occasional episodes where small areas of my skin feel sore and tender. It tends to be on my torso somewhere, but I think I've experienced it on my upper legs and rear end as well.  Right now it's an area starting at my spine below my ribcage, and wrapping around my side to the front a bit. It's a sensation that my skin is raw, as if it's been scraped or carpet-burned.  Any contact with the area feels exactly as if I'm touching raw tender skin (probably less painful) and the discomfort seems to be just skin-deep.  There is never a rash or injury of any kind, and I can't trace it to any kind of lifestyle thing, activity, detergent, etc.  It's been going on for years, never lasts more than a few days, and is never more than mildly annoying.  It hasn't killed me yet, so I'm really not concerned that something's terribly wrong, but I'd like to know what it is and if anyone else has ever experienced it.  

I know this is an old query and I hope you don't have this anymore but I have recently had shingles and what you describe (apart from not having a rash) sounds similar. Have you had shingles in the past? Maybe you are getting mild flares of it. Is it a post-viral phenomenom? Is it on your left?

I also read your posts on the breast cancer site as I have something similar (I think). I also have decided it is a form of stretch mark as I was recently pregnant then had a miscarriage and my breasts seem to have shrunk dramatically so not surprising they look slightly different.
Hello Hypervigilant.

Sounds like you and I might have something similar.

I just came across your post while googling the symptoms I feel. I'm a 29 year old male in decent health but for years I've been feeling the same thing. Seems like it's always on my left side and comes around several times a year. The raw feeling arms to last a few days but sometimes (such as right now) it can last a week. Mine seems to get me around my inner thigh, hip, chest, and armpit area (again all on the left side).

My doctor has not clue what it might be other than shingles without the rash. Nothings changed in my life to bring this on. Same diet, same soaps, same laundry detergent, etc.

Have you had any luck determining what might be the cause of yours?
I experience a raw to touch feeling but mines is all over.  It feels as if someone has removed a layer of skin and I can't be touched and it hurts to move.  I've been to both an Allergen and Rheumotologist but none has answers.  These symptoms go hand in hand with bone and joint ache, swelling of limbs and lumps on or around my feet and hands.  I've been tested for pious but nothing has come up.  All they are sure of is that I have some kind of autoimmune disease.  I'm looking for help too.
Ive been to both specialist but received no answers.  I've been tested for lupus but all blood work comes back negative which is good but bad because I'm getting no relief or resolution.
ive had that raw feeling only on my left side, on my thigh to my knee and inside my left thigh. anything that grazes it, is slightly painful. doesn't shingles show rashes, and blisters. could my keys in sweaty jeans be the cause.
please advise.
For the last couple days, I too have had a raw, carpet burn feeling on my right side, just below my hip bone. I thought too it may be the start of shingles, since I just had a dramatic change in my life. But no rash. Any anwers?
I have been experiencing these episodes of feeling raw and sore.it seems to be only my left side and on my bottom. Bottom of thigh and inner thigh. It hurts to sit on the toilet aa it is normally colder and makes the pain worse. I work at costco and stand alot it hurts to stand. It is really affecting my work and life. If anyone has any info please contact me wild_pintohorse***@****  i am unable to see my doctor as shes super busy and walk ins here suck they dont care to help. I am only 21
At yah  oo  ca
I received a notification that this thread had been updated.  Almost 4 years after posting the question, I still have occasional episodes of this.  Never a rash, just the sensation.  I've never asked a doctor about it, but am still very much alive and well, so whatever it is doesn't appear to be fatal.  Must be just one of those weird things!
A feeling of raw skin underneath left rib cage. Very sensitive to hot and cold items. It feels like being either scratched by a kitten or a paper cut. No rash, no underlying pain, Just on the surface. I originally thought it was just the skin being stretched due to a "small pot belly" but, this has been going on for over a week. And seems to expand horizontally on some days and stays local on other days. No surface damage. exposure to chicken pox when younger and do not know the symptoms of shingles except when it is full blown. *visual observation of great grandpa* Not sure what it is so treatment is unknown at this point. No changes of diet or other possible skin irritants.  
I've got a patch on the left thigh of about the same size as my palm exactly what you all say, raw to touch, not painful just annoying with no marks on the skin, i do keep my mobile phone in the left leg pocket ALL the time though, so i'm wondering whether that has anything to do with it? I've taken my phone out of there for the last week. I've noticed the slightly same feeling under my ribcage on the sides of my stomach, this is after heavy alcohol consumption so i persumed it was something to do with that, but linking them both together and the fact i've been eating alot recently and noticed i've put on weight i'm thinking it could be weight gain and the skin stretching? Either way i'm going to consult my GP wiithin the coming weeks so i'll see what he says.
You are all describing the same thing that is happening to me for the last few months.  Small patches of irritated skin on my back mostly, but no red marks or blemishes.  I have not seen a doctor about this, but I will mention it the next time I go.  I am glad hypervigilent is alive and well almost 4 years later, so I won't worry too much about it.   As an FYI, I don't drink, don't wear my cell phone on me much and have not gained any weight recently, so I don't think these are the causes of mine.  If anyone does get a diagnosis or finds things that work or make it worse, please share.
I've had this same exact thing!  I have a area on my back, right side, right under my shoulder blade that has been bugging me for the past month.  Ferels like I have been scraped like a carpet burn, just on the surface.  I have had my wife look several times to see if she sees anything like a rash but nothing.  Even removed hair in case it was being pulled and causing the feeling.  Doesn't prevent me from doing normal activities but more annoyance than anything. Glad I am not the only one and not crazy!!
OMG! I've been curious about my symptoms and just thought I'd google it, and came straight to this post. Not really sure how long it's been a problem, but more aware over the last few weeks. I had a patch of skin irritation on my left knee for a week or so which felt like a graze or skin burn, but no visible signs. Then it disappeared and the same feeling was on my far left buttock/hip, and also above my left knee at the base of my thigh.

No one seems to have had it diagnosed or confirmed as shingles, so I'm really none the wiser. It's hardly worth going to my GP, but if and when I need to go for something else I will tell her and see what transpires.

If I get an answer then I'll repost, but would love to hear if anybody else knows what it is.
Hey bringing this back . Seen this thread has been going on for years and I too have recently felt this sensation for the first time in my life . I'm a 25 hear old male and I've been looking all over for answers . I seem to have the same symptoms as everyone on here . Raw sensitive skin on my left side inner thing and lower back but only on my left side . Any help I'm a bit concerned its irritating and there nothing visible on my skin . Has anyone heard of what this could b
I have had these same symptoms for years. My Mother and one of my brothers gets the same. Dr doesn't have any idea on what it could be. At the moment I have it on my Left butt cheek more on the side and also just under my left elbow.
Sitting down on the cold toilet its painful but it only lasts a few days then it can be gone again for months

Hopefully someday someone will be able to help us all. I am just glad I am not alone in this. Makes hard trying to explain to people you talk to about it.
I am a 63 year old male and just recently experienced this chaffed skin sensation on the left of my torso. Very puzzled by it so like others googled the symptoms. No sign of any rash or marks. Some months ago I also had a strange feeling on the surface of my left knee. It felt as though hairs were being pulled on tight skin, but again no sign of anything. It seemed to occur mostly when I bent my knee or went to kneel down but then after a week or so just disappeared. Anyone with any ideas ? Don't really want to bother Doctor with problem.
I found this thread through a Google search. I am a male in his early 40s with no serious medical conditions. My symptoms are painful skin with no rash or blistering that started about two weeks ago on my upper right front abdomen and right torso and has spread across my front midline.

The sensation is much like a "raspberry" of scraped skin. It is mildly to moderately painful, and is very noticeable on my belly where my shirt touches/brushes against my skin. I consider it persistent annoyance.

I have felt slightly and occasionally feverish, with lethargy and moderate muscle soreness and stiffness. I am mildly depressive and am prone to migraineur symptoms, and both have been acting up concurrently. I've been sleeping much more than usual recently. Sometimes 10 or 12 hours at a stretch, with long naps most weekend days.

Yesterday, I began noticing similar sensitivity developing on my back on both sides where the skin is thin over the ribcage (slightly south of the latissimus dorsi).

I've had shingles once the past three years and this feels very similar; however my shingles pain was limited to the right side and did not cross over. Also, the shingles involved prominent blistering.

I can think of no detergent, food, new clothing, sun exposure, chemical or "new" agent that may have brought this on.

I have been under a great deal of stress recently (work and family), and something particularly stressful did occur within days of symptoms appearing.

Also, I did suffer mild thermal burns in a limited area of my right torso a week prior to symptoms (hot cooking oil spattered and caused blistering). I still have marks from this but the wounds have healed. Incidentally, the burns are exactly where my shingles blisters appeared before.

I saw a doctor about this over the weekend and she was stumped. She thinks the lethargy and feverishness is due to some form of virus. Blood tests and urine tests were negative for bacterial infection. WBC count was normal range.

She ruled out shingles because I had no blisters. Speculated the skin irritation is a mild form of dermatitis (she detected slight inflammation/purpling of skin). Prescribed no medications to treat. Told me to return if symptoms continue more than two weeks.

I just googled my symptoms and came across yours and all these other folks, which makes me feel somewhat better.  I have had this same thing on my right side for about a month, where my bra rubs against it.  It is extremely irritating! I figured it was shingles, but no rash and took a course of Valtrex.  It let up but has now come back again.   Apparently, if it was shingles, I should have developed a rash by  now.  With so many of you having the same thing, it makes me wonder.   I have been considering getting the shingles vaccine and not sure what to do with this going on.  Several years ago, something like this started and the doctor I worked for figured shingles were starting  and gave me some Valtrex to take and it went away and that was the end of it.
I am 33 and have the same skin burning sensation but no sign of rash or shingles. I have it on the upper back on the right side below shoulder.
Its so annoying that there is nothing thats helping. It has just started like 4 weeks ago. Please post any treatment or solution you come across.
I'm in the same boat as the rest of you and I'm a mostly-healthy 36-year-old male.  I call it a "phantom sunburn" because it feels like my skin has been sunburned or rubbed raw, yet there is no rash or physical indication.  It started on my left arm, moved down to my left hand, then started down my left back, side, and leg.  As I type this, my left leg feels moderately uncomfortable - probably a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10.

I have been feeling the phantom sunburn for 3 weeks or so, and it started soon after I began taking fluoxetine for my OCD symptoms.

I talked to my GP yesterday about this and he doesn't know what to make of it.  He ruled out shingles and side effects from my fluoxetine.  He did an exam and noticed my right arm's reflex is highly diminished and I have tremors in both hands, but the left hands shakes more than the right.  We did a full panel of blood tests and everything came back fine, so I just scheduled an MRI of my brain to see if there's something neurological going on.
same thing here. I've had this off and on for years but it seems to be happening a little more often. it only lasts a couple or few days and then is gone. no visible rash or anything else beside the extreme sensitivity to touch.i've googled till my fingers are sore (an exaggeration) and can't find an answer. I suspect some kind of viral/neuro problem but I'm not any kind of medical pro, so, you know. like others have said, it's kind of a relief to know I'm not the only one - I'm not crazy. good luck to all.
Found this thread looking for answers about the raw, painful feeling on my arm, which comes and goes. Here's the most probable answer:

Fibromyalgia/Tactile Allodynia

http://chronicfatigue.about.com/b/2009/03/07/painful-to-touch-fibromyalgia-tactile-allodynia.htm

http://chronicfatigue.about.com/od/whatisfibromyalgia/a/fibromyalgiapain.htm

Hope this helps!
I experience these symptoms on my arms and lower left back. I have not sought medical advice as I am uninsured, but I have researched it a bit and it sounds like it is called tactile allodynia. I find that using a topical burn gel with lidocaine helps me. Hope this helps!
wow, so glad I found this thread because I was beginning to think this was all in my head.  i haven't seen a doctor about it since its so hard to describe and I didnt want her to think I was insane.  I have it in 3 spots; my left lower back, above my right elbow, but the worst is just below my right knee.  Sometimes when I knee I feel like my skin is tearing open, yet there is no mark or rash whatsoever.  I'm sorry everyone who has posted is having the same symptoms, but on the other hand what a relief to know I'm not nuts.  Now to figure out what it is?
I have this as well, the toilet seat experience when I have a flare up is unbearable. It feels as though I have a severe sunburn or a really high fever to the point where your skin hurts yet there is never any visible spots nor am I ever running a fever. Always left side. Starts upper, inner thigh, lasts about a week and I wake up and it has migrated upward towards my butt, then back, then ribs, then upper arm finally the side of my head and then leaves for a couple of months before the next episode! Wearing the softest clothing feels like wearing a burlap bag! I am a 25 yr old female, I've had this "condition?" For 3 years. I am other wise healthy, I have mentioned it to doctors, pharmacists, friends and family and they all think I am nuts but I feel your pain guys. It is brutal and I want answers!!
I'm experiencing the same thing. It's my left side. It started on my inner thigh, and has spread to a few inches above my knee and wraps up around my bum and lower back. It just feels raw and irritated to the touch. Like a rash without the actual rash, and it does not itch. I'm clueless!
http://www.mademan.com/mm/5-zoster-sine-herpete-symptoms.html
I found this article that seems to be an explanation for this.
It's called Allodynia.  

It comes from a malfunction of specialized nerves, called nociceptors, that sense information about things like temperature and painful stimuli right at the skin. For some reason, our nociceptors start telling our brains that just about any sensation is painful. Researchers believe is part of the central sensitization associated with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and a handful of other conditions.

You can read all about it at http://chronicfatigue.about.com/b/2009/03/07/painful-to-touch-fibromyalgia-tactile-allodynia.htm

Or you can just read up on the term allodynia...
someone posted a link to this condition in the thread already, but it may be helpful to know, There is also a  condition called zoster sine herpete (shingles without the rash), which is harder to diagnose. This is characterized by chronic pain, usually in the same three- to five-inch distribution in which a rash usually occurs, but a rash never develops.  So it could be shingles without the rash if the pain and duration are similar.
I have had these symptoms for years - at least the last 10 years. I think the zoster sine herpete (shingles without the rash) is likely the best explanation for what I have been experiencing since just last week, a few days after I had a flare up - what do you know but I developed a rash - and sure enough full blown shingles in a subset of the area I had been feeling the pain...  I am now on an anti-viral and it will be interesting to see if the skin pain in areas without rash resolves at the same time as the rash...

Great thread!!
I've had this same thing for years.  Phantom sunburn over my right hip, inner thigh, lower torso and back.  Sometimes my elbows.  Clothing is unbearable! My only added symptom is a stabbing pain in my right hip that radiates down my thigh. I have been to countless doctors and tried tracking my lifestyle to identify anything that would set it off.  I thought it might be the cell phone I carried in my pocket or related to alcohol. I have been diagnosed with Shingles, and treated, but that did nothing - the phantom sunburn persisted.  I was diagnosed with fibromayalga, and treated, but again, the medication did nothing to help me.  The only thing that makes it go away, and this is of no help to anyone, is being pregnant.  For some reason, when I am pregnant, the symptoms subside, along with a several other medical conditions.  The only explanation I have been given, is that it must be an auto immune disease that my body is capable of handing when I'm pregnant because everything is in overdrive.  The only difference in my life for pregnant to not pregnant is no alcohol.  I noticed even one glass of wine would make my elbows hurt.  Again, I realize this is not helpful.  But I hope this thread continues and we get some more answers.  Also, I have been repeatedly tested for lupus (my mother and uncle both have it)  but I have never been found to have it.
Hi, I have exactly the same symptoms as nearly all the people on this thread.  Only yesterday I was in pain (the length of my left arm, my right inner thigh and my little fiinger on my right hand.  I was really pleased to find this thread as it has helped me to realise that I am not exaggerating my symptoms.  It feels like sunburn or like I've been rubbed with sand paper.
I have been reading up on Allodynia and there is are a few different types eg. tactile allodynia and mechanical allodynia.  I am almost certain this is it.  One of the posts I read said Neurofen or Naproxen really helps.  IT DID!  
I am going to GP on Monday and want to know what she thinks.  I hope this helps someone on this thread.  
I had similar pain to all the others who have posted.  Mine usually is very localized - only on one side.  In fact, today I'm experiencing it on only the right side of my face - on the skin, inside my mouth and on my right eye.  It's painful, but not unbearable, kind of like a bad rug burn as others have described.  Whenever I have it, it's always on just one side.  I've never found out what it is either as every time I tell a doctor they look at me like I'm crazy!  It's comforting to hear that others have felt the same symptoms so at least I'm not imagining it!  
I TOO HAVE THIS PROBLEM IT STARTED AROUND MY BELLY BUTTON AND NOW ITS ON MY LEFT ARM MY DAD ALSO FELT THIS ALONG TIME AGO WHEN HE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH BRUCELLOSIS  BUT HIS DISCOMFORT WAS ACOMPANIED WITH FEVER SOMETHING I HAVENT HAD MY WIFE AND I WERE BOTH TESTED FOR THIS IN MEXICO AND TESTED POSITIVE FOR SMALL AMOUNTS OF BRUCELLOSIS. I MENTIONED BRUCELLOSIS TO THE DOCTOR I GO TO BUT HE SAID IT WASNT THAT BUT HE DIDNT EVEN TEST ME FOR IT NOT SURE HE COULD HAVE SINCE THIS HAS SUPPOSEDLY BEEN ERADICATED IN THE US
Hey,

Did you find out what is causing this??

I am having the same thing. Happens about once a month - sensitive patch of skin about the size of my palm, no rash or anything visual. Clears up after about 2-5 days.
This can happen with genital herpes... I am not saying anyone has it and hope you don't think I am being rude but these areas of bruised sensation and especially the cold toilet seat experience sounds extremely like it. Can be accompanied by general malaise too. Hope this helps.
Just finished a severe first case of genital herpes. It has finally cleared however I've been feeling a rug burn type sensation on the skin of my left arm above my elbow. Could that have anything to do with it? There is nothing visible in that area so its just strange why that specific patch is so irritating. I could live with it but its just such an annoying feeling. Any ideas?
Don't know of any way to prevent it I'm afraid but the patches of affected skin can be anywhere on your body. Last a few days then corrects. You can get fluey with a fever too. First outbreak is always the worst and then generally oT happens if run down - that is the good news! Good luck :)
It's amazing that so many people have this problem yet there is no answer. I think that I too suffer from this. It feels like a rash yet there is no redness or swelling. It's a very mild pain and only really hurts when I touch the affected area. Mine is always on one of my forearms. It doesn't show up much either. Usually only 1, 2 or 3 times a year. I sometimes think that maybe it's the way I slept because it often accompanies a bad night's sleep or when I awaken and have a numb arm from laying on it. The numbness goes away but the pain stays. I sure hope someone finds out what this is. So many people can't be imagining this.
I had a similar instance, except with my neck, and it lasted 3 years! I would sometimes feel simiar super sensitive sensations on my forearms. My neck felt almost like a sunburn sensitivity, making wearing collars and jewelry very difficult.  I will tell you what it was and what I did: By process of elimination and researching Web MD and other sites, I came to the conclusion  it was "nerve pain". Because B12 was beneficial to nerve health, I started taking a high dosage B12 sublinqual tablet before bed each night. In two months, it was completely gone and did not come back. I would also like to note that I believe it came on through stress, as at the time I first noticed it, I was under extreme anxiety due to my (former) job. Perhaps the B12 would help fellow sufferers, or after self-diagnosis, ask the physician for something to help with nerve pain.
Your description is spot on with mine. To sit on a cold toilet seat is like a never ending painful sensation. My two thighs and soles of my feet hurt. But I suspect this thing has all to do with a certain virus that causes shingle and herpes.

Mine comes when I run myself really done and go to bed after 12am.  I've not had it for years until last week. I'm now taking as much rest as I can until the virus recedes.

I think I suffered either herpes or shingles sometime as I experienced a rash on the tip of my pen. in fact the ring around it is soo sensitive to touch that I struggle to wear my pants.

I'm very confident it'll go but thru' rest.

I gave up acyclovir tabs years ago as I now know how to control it - except on very occasional cases like last week.

get some rest for 1 full week, drink a lot of water and ensure you retire to bed earlier than previously

I hope this helps.
To those who have suffered it for years non stop and with visible signs, my description above may not be relevant to yours

For me, I really believe is a re-occurring virus outbreak in the system associated with either herpes or shingles or similar ones. It only happens when you've run your self to the ground and get very few sleeps.

if you experience this, try retrace your steps and check my claims. All you have to do is recognise the trigger and slow down. Once your immune takes a knock, it comes to the fore; unless you're already taking medication
The one I'm having now is so bad that I feel very week. My thighs and back heels, hand muscles and my scrotum feel like they've been sand papered and sprinkled with pepper.

I'm just taking easy and taking some rest with lots of water. Naproxen could help but acyclovir and the like will reduce the duration or even prevent attacks in the future.

My best remedy is prevention. Know your limit and step down activities. Sleep at normal time. My body clock goes mental after 12am; unless I'm having a party and will sleep once over.
I have a similar sensation of "skin feeling overstretched" or "sunburn sensation" along my left posterior rib cage/lower latissimus dorsi area.  It is worse when raising my left arm and stretching my left latissimus.  I am a new doctor and I have know idea what this is.  Allodynia is all I can think of either, and that is really more of a descriptive word than a diagnosis.  I still don't know what is causing this allodynia.  I do not believe this is zoster w/o rash as it is not in a nervous distribution.  This has been going on for 3 weeks.  Hopefully it will go away soon.
Palm sized patch just under knee on right side.  Off and on for years, but consistent for a couple of months now.  I'm jumping on this thread so I can be notified when there are posts and if someone ever comes up with the answer. It's good to know there are other people out there experiencing the same thing.  I thought I was imagining it.
I am sure many of you will think I am crazy, but several of you sound like you have symptoms of Lyme Disease. Look at the link below. Most doctors are extremely uneducated about Lyme and will tell you it isn't possible. It is! It can be chronic and you never knew you could have been bitten. Also, doctors don't know what tests to run. It is imperative to request a western blot and even a cd-57. Find a Lyme literate doctor.

http://www.flda.org/symptoms

I also have the rash free skin pain. That is how I found this thread. I am happy to help anyone who may have questions.
I've had the pain for the last 3 days on the underside of my arm and there is nothing there. I just got over a viral rash, but this is totally different and burns really bad. It does feel like shingles, but no rash. Glad I'm not crazy.
I have felt the same way the last few days, as far as run down, sleeping a lot, no energy, and feverish.  The skin on my back started hurting today and goes over to my ribcage, not quite as bad as Shingles, I know because of had it before and it ran down the right side of my neck to my right shoulder, but none the less it hurts.  I'm also Diabetic so I do have a lesser immune system as well.  I'm not sure what to make of this but the only thing I can think of is I have a virus of some kind and I'm hopefully nearing the end of it.
I have been reading all these comments to way back in 2009 but there is no one who has been able to come up with a reply or a possible diagnosis.  It is so frustrating.

I have this circular area, about 3 inches in diameter on left flank that periodically becomes really tender to touch, feels like a burn, but with NO rash, NO redness - it is WEIRD.  Lasts about 4 days, the day at the beginning and at the end are less painful that the excrutiating two days in the middle.  It then goes away.  I get it in the same place about four times a year for the least couple of years.  WHAT IS THIS???  I am not feverish, have no itch, have not burned myself with a hot water bottle, altho that would leave red mark.  Please can someone help?
I want to address the many concerns about a mysterious skin irritation with no apparent rash or burn. In my case there was a small area just below my rib cage on the left side. It felt like a rug burn but there were no scrub marks. It got to the point that even my shirt irritated the feeling all the worse. I researched the NET, including this Forum. I experimented with a solution and it WORKED. I applied an over the counter topical and the burning feeling almost immediately stopped. I'm not sure, with this being my first post, if I can name the topical, so I will decline until further assurance. I do know that it worked for me. Also, I believe that alcohol consumption was a likley trigger and I subsequently have quit drinking.
I just joined the "Community" today" and I may be able to help you. I had the same issue and I believe that my consumption of alcohol had become a trigger. That and I applied an over the counter topical and the burning rash feeling, sans any redness, disappeared almost immediately. I don't know if I can share the name of the product with you and stay within the Forum guidelines. Let me know your thoughts.
The same with me Doc. I applied an over the counter topical and the feeling went away almost immediately. I'm not sure if I can name the product. I'm not trying to sell it, just help out. I must add that's its unusual for any doctor to admit they are human and not simply Gods with a magic potion. You "break the mold", so to speak. Get back to me if I can help.
Mine is a small patch of skin, left side below my rib cage. The irritation got to the point of just my shirt touching the area further irritated the issue. I thought that alcohol consumption may have been a trigger, so I stopped drinking. That helped but moreover I applied an over the counter topical and the burning sensation dissipated almost immediately. This is my first day on the Forum. Can I submit the name of the topical without breaking the rules? Trust me on this. I'm not trying to sell the stuff, just help.
I have similar symptoms except there is severe itching that goes along with it.  went to ER and they certainly had no clue.  they prescribed Neurotin.  Not much help.  I most certainly would like to know the topical you used.
Wow I was so surprised to find so many that have the same symptoms that I have been experiencing for several years! My symptoms started about 5 years ago...maybe even longer, but in the beginning I didn't think much about it because it happened once maybe twice a year and I thought I had done something to cause the raw skin feeling on the back of both my upper legs. Then a couple years later it moved to my bottom. I started getting it 3 to 4 times a year This year I had it happen on my right calf which was a first. It usually last 3 or 4 days. Then a couple weeks later I experienced the raw skin feeling on my right side from my hip to my knee and around to the right side of my bottom and right side of my lower back. I  have been to the doctor and have had test done, but everything turns out normal. I am really sorry that you all have to go through this, but like others have said it's nice to know we are not alone.
Had the sensation for a week now, consisting of an uncomfortable  unmarked sunburn sensation that stretches in 3 palm sized patches on my left chest, left lower armpit and then round to my shoulder blade area.

I'm scheduling an appointment with my GP today and will report back once it's properly diagnosed. Seems to me like it's a form of Allodynia.

Currently I'm assuming some kind of chicken pox revival symptoms, though not as severe as shingles as I have no rash.  

From a private life perspective, I have had a stressful few weeks and have felt quite run down.
I agree with you Firefox. Was glad to find this thread. But sad to find that no one has had any real effective treatment. I have suffered from this for years I am now 52 years old. My father had a couple of patches in his late 50s and 60s. I have never found an effective treatment other than when I get extremely run down and my immune system is compromised I will have a flare. Rarely does it last longer then I can get some rest in a couple of days and watch my diet. I recently have had it happen on the side of my head my face and invasively effecting my eye. I wish that I could say that I only have one or two small spots as a lot of you do here but unfortunately as the years progressed it has spread to several parts of my body. Not localized to the left or right but at any given time on both sides. This current bout with it has led me to this thread looking for some kind of treatment. You name it I've run the gambit of doctors I mean immunologists ,allergists, rheumatologist neurologist and have no effective treatment. It's hard to keep going to doctors and have them look at you like you're crazy when you try to explain what's going on. But this thread that dates back so many years shows that I am not the only one nor have I been a small part of the population. Why don't doctors understand this more. Rest and diet has usually been my best bet in the past. I will try to monitor this to see if anyone comes up with some new information. But best of luck to you all.