Dermatology Expert Forum
Skin healing after herpes out break
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Skin healing after herpes out break

I just had my first herpes outbreak back at the end of August.
It was 2 painful ulcers on the shaft of my penis (one just above my circumcision scar and one just below)
I went in and test positive for HSV-1 (i got it from a girl giving me oral sex)
the ulcers took a few weeks to scab and heal. However, about a week or so after they looked/felt healed, I tried having sex (with a condom) after a few minutes (it was kind of rough sex) I felt a burning in the same area. Afterwards I went into the bathroom and sure enough the area had turned into an open lesion. Not an ulcer, but still a bit uncomfortable.
After a few days it seemed to heal up. so i waited about another 10 days after that. Again I could see a small discoloration where the sores had been, but they looked/felt healed. I tried sex again (with a condom, not rough) and when i checked it afterwards they'd opened up again.
I went to see my doctor and he told me sometimes it takes a while for it to completely heal but that it would. he said to use neosporin twice a day, which i have been doing.
I forgot to mention that through some of this time I was masturbating without actually touching the area, and it didn't seem to cause any adverse reaction. however I figure yanking on the skin around it might delay the healing process.

So now it has been 3 weeks since i've tried intercourse or masturbating  while actually massaging the sensitive area.
It still looks the same as the first time i thought it was healed so I'm basically afraid to keep re-starting the healing process by either having sex or masturbating, but in the meantime trying not go crazy.

Is it possible that this area will never fully heal?
Will I have to cut out all vigorous sex?
If I want to masturbate without touching the actual area is that ok?
should i try masturbating while actually touching the healing area?

please let me know anything you can.
thanks