Dermatology Expert Forum
Skin itches

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Skin itches

Hopefully, you can help me out here.  My skin itches and when I scratch it, I end up with rashes where I scratched and the itching continues.  I don't know what the problem could be.  I eat healthy and excercise.  I don't smoke, drink alcohol, or do drugs but I do smoke marijuana time to time and I think I might have an allergic reaction to it but I'm not sure.  Can you help me out?
Wherever skin is rubbed or scratched, histamine is released and the skin welts up and itches more.  This is normal.  Some people welt up a lot--this is called "dermographism," or "skin writing."  This is just a variant of normal.  Antihistamines can suppress it, if the itching or appearance are very bothersome.  Nonprescription antihistamines to try include Benadryl (makes you dorwsy) and Claritin (more costly, but doesn't.)  Itch lotions like Benadryl or Sarna help too.

Allergies and foods generally don't have an effect one way or another.  Neither does marijuana.

If these suggestions don't help, show a doctor.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
And what can I do to get rid of it?
You can't.  Often, it goes away by itself.

Dr. Rockoff
to your post i am no doctor but my daughter gets ths same way. she has allergies. but she also has an allergy to alcohol of any form and to put any type of lotion on her or cream is difficult because most things have alcohol in them . go to the doctor , if this dosent go away it sounds like contact dermititus. i would use benadryl and seek the help of an allergist..it may go away on its own but more then likely it will be back. you are in contact with something that is causing it. also some people with eczma (eczema) are also unable to be in contact with polyester it makes matters worse..good luck....
I have the same problem. What has caused the itch if it isn't a contact dermititus...
Kim
My backside started itching, then the side of my legs, then my arms, top of my hands. Now I have a nasty rash everywhere.  It's almost unbearable! Are you saying that I just have to wait for it to go away and try not to itch?
I've been itching since fall I believe  I'm alergic (allergic) to mold but I'm not sure. I feel like some kind of bug & it gets worst at night time.i don't have any rash, I also use benadryl but it dose not work. pleaase help  me I'm desperate!