Dermatology Expert Forum
Skin mottling

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Skin mottling
Several times a year there appear on the palms of my hands reddish circles one or two which are always more pronounced on my left and than my right.  Currently on my right hand the circle is about a quarter inch in diameter and on my left, one is a half inch and the other is about an inch.  They itch a little and are gone usually within a week.  This has happened for years.

I have not done anything specific, i.e. working with my hands that would have caused this

Any idea what they could be?

Not really.  Perhaps a form of eczema, though that usually causes small blisters rather than circles.  I can;t imagine that after all these years it could be anything significant, or related to anything you do or touch.  If you want to look further, I suggest you take a photo when it's there and show it--or your hands, if it's still there--to a dermatologist.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff