Skin on Fingers

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Skin on Fingers

Hi Doc,
For the last 8 months I have had bad skin on my fingertips and down the sides of my fingers, I went to the doctor twice. The first time I was prescribed a 1% cortisone cream, the second time I went I was prescribed a 5% cortisone cream. The skin peeling on all of my fingers, and my right hand thumb. Also it is especially bad down the side of my ring fingers, the one next to my little finger, the sides of these fingers are rather 'crusty'. The skin is all wrinkly now and sometimes clear mini spots appear before disappearing again. Sometimes the skin splits and is extremely painful. I work in the fast food industry so spend alot of time around extreme hot and cold temperatures, in gloves, and in the washing sink.

Some preventive measures I have taken are.

Wearing rubber gloves when washing up at work.
Wearing cotton gloves as much as possible when using the computer.

Any advice is really good. This has been bothering me for ages now, and I just want to get on with my life.

Many thanks. Andrew.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I understand your concern. Your case sounds like it is an eczematous skin condition specifically dishydrotic eczema. Eczematous skin conditions are chronic and inflammatory and there is no definite medical therapy for the skin condition. Corticosteroids are the mainstay of therapy and they control the symptoms of redness and itchiness. One thing here is that we may need to consider an overlying fungal infection. The infection may only prolong healing. Aside from the corticosteroids, you may need antifungal medications here.

Ok.

So what I understand.

If it is dishydrotic eczema then the only method of treatment is the Cortisone creams?

Because when I use these my skin seems to heal, but then it all peels off really fast leaving me in more pain than before.

If it is a fungal infection as well which is preventing my skin from healing the would a antifungul skin cream help.

I read that skin conditions can easily pass from between the feet and the hands and I recently had a fungal infection on my feet which was caused from walking around in wet shoes all day at work, and then them being still wet to go to school.

Both of my doctors presumed it was a contact dermitius with my computer keyboard, but since then I always wear cotton gloves and the condition hasn't gotten better.

Thank you very much for your help. Andrew.