Dermatology Expert Forum
Skin on head of penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Skin on head of penis

First I need to explain my problem. I am 22 years old. Around three months ago I had been give oral sex from a girl of unknown stats. About two months ago I had problem with the tip of my penis. There was pain around the very tip one night and the next day the skin was raised. I went to a MEA clinic which tested my urine and swab the inside of my penis for any stds. The test came back negative but, the doctor said he seen nothing wrong. So I went to my GP the next monday. He checked me out and said that he seen nothing wrong but might be some kind of bacteria. So he told me to apply Lamsil. Around two day later after applying the Lamsil I noticed that a group of tiny bumps appeared on the top of my head near the rim. Then as the day went by my skin on the head only became bumpy (uneven) to the eye but feels normal and smooth.I stopped applying the Lamsil and went and seen a urologist who said that the bumps was normal if anything a small case of eczame. I have now just seen my derm. which look at my skin and even took two small bumps that was above the skin to have tested. The test just came back and he said that it was papules and that they would go away.

Now, I have had this problem for around two month and it seems that it came on right after the applying the lamsil. My penis is not painful but is sensitive and noticable from time to time. After I shower or masturbate the skin looks red and the bumps or more noticable and the skin is sensitive. I have apply hydrocortisone 1% to the area but this does not help either.

Also, I do not know if the bumps that were test is the same that looks to be under the skin or part of the skin, but they came on at the same time.

Please help I do not know what this problem is and I have seen alot of doctor that can not help the problem. Is there anything that I can get for this. Can you tell me why the just appeared out of the blue and well it go away?
I think your urologist was exactly correct.  The reason you can't correct the problem is that it isn't a problem.  The bumps and redness are made more noticeable after friction or rubbing, etc.  I suggest you just use non-medicated moisture lotions, wash gently, and don't look carefully at your penis.  I doubt the oral sex had anything to do with this other than making you anxious.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Your symptoms dont resemble any STDs.  Papules are part of normal anatomy and most men have them.  It is possible that you have always had these papules and that they became irritated causing them to become more noticable.  Skin in the genital region is highly susceptible to irritation due to the sensetivity of the skin.  So dont be alarmed if down the road you experience some irritation again, its gonna happen.  To add, Doctors are very good at distinguishing between serious conditions such as STDs and non-serious conditions.  IF your doctor thought your condition was serious, he would have treated it as such.  He also took the extra step to do a skin culture which came back normal.  So I wouldnt worry too much about it.  If still in doubt, see a dermatologist in person or visit your GP.  Good luck.
Why would the bumps just come up out of the nowhere? I have always been good about checking myself and I have never noticed any bumps on my head.  Also could I have caused the bumps on my head to come up from examining the skin of my head everyday by pulling and stretching the skin?    Will the skin smooth back out over time?      Thanks
Papules are part of normal anatomy, so you should try and put your worries to rest.  Irritating them can make them more visible and it could take some time for the irritation to go away.  You can try using a cortizone cream if you have some redness and dried skin irritation. You can honestly put this to rest. Just relax and enjoy the weekend!  You really should no longer worry...
About a week ago I noticed that the head of my penis had a very small red dot, maybe even a couple of them. My proble has progressively gotten worse and the head of my penis is now wrinkly with little lines on it and itches... It is sensitive to the touch. IT got a little dry and a little scabby but not like an actual scab, just dead skin that would kind of flake off. There are spots on the head of my penis that look darker than others. Also, there is now a spot on the right side of my shaft that also itches. I masturbated once this past week and there was not a great deal of discharge and it felt different than usual so I have been afraid to do it since. I've only had one sexual partner in the past four months and there was no actual sex involved, just oral. I am very nervous that I might have contracted an STD. Can you help?